Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gap (The Woodlands, TX) in November 2008.

Interview

Interviewed and was hired imediately (the same day). Came in the same week to feel out paper work. i was told what the job paid. Did not negotiate my wage. Tip: Know what you are worth, don't settle if you don't have to. Friendly coworkers. Not too much drama.

Interview Questions

• What didn't you like about your last job? or Why are you leaving your current postion.   1 Answer
  • What can talents can you bring to our company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not try to negotiate. Was just happy to have a job. Once again, know what you are worth. Before the interview calculate what you can live on and what you cannot...what you will be giving up and gaining.

Other Interview Reviews for Gap

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gap in August 2008.

Interview

Walked into the store to apply. Was directed to the company web site to complete the online application. Online application consisted of standard questions as well as a personality profile quiz. Took about 30 minutes to complete the application. Was contacted by the store about 2 days after completing the application. Interviewed with the Assistant Store Manager. The staff was very professional and the interview was quite thorough but relaxed. At the conclusion of the interview the manager indicated that they expected to contact me within the next 2-3 days. I was contacted the next day and offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to provide service to a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work as a team.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not much room for salary negotiation. The starting pay rate for the position appears to be standard for most new hires, regardless of experience.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gap in March 2009.

Interview

Called for interview at the on-site location where I would work if hired; Asked basic interview questions. For example, the hiring manager asked, "Tell me about yourself". "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Other questions about working in a retail environment. Hiring manager was extremely nice and laid-back.

Interview Questions

• What is your idea of good customer service? How do you deal with an angry customer in a retail setting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gap (Atlanta, GA) in November 2007.

Interview

I was called by the hiring manager and she just wanted to set up a time to talk to me. It basically seemed like I had the job already and during the interview she asked me situational questions as though I were already hired and apart of the team. The biggest question I remember that was different than any other normal retail interview was if I had any problem asking people to sign up for their credit card. Then she told me that some people had a problem with that and they were against it for various reason, but it was an important part of the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about offering the Gap credit to customers and how would you offer?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No, she just called me and said that I was hired and that they were offering me $8 an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gap (Dallas, TX) in May 2009.

Interview

I applied online and received a call from the manager within four days. Three days later, I had a group interview with a manager and two other interviewees. It was fairly laid back and focused more on personality and integrity than sales experience. It was the only job interview I've been to where multiple people were interviewed. Overall, it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Which is worse: an employee stealing from the company or a customer stealing from the company?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gap in April 2010.

Interview

I applied online, which included filling out some personality questionnaires, and heard nothing for over a week. I am a college freshmen, with almost zero work experience, and was in the process of job hunting so I didn't take it personally that I hadn't heard back since no where really seemed to be interested in me. However, I was very surprised when I got a phone call from the manager of one of the Gap's I had applied at asking me to come in and interview. The interview was set for a couple of days after that phone call. I came in and I had a 1 on 1 interview with the manager I had spoken to on the phone. The manager was very talkative which was nice because I didn't feel that I was put on the spot and "left-hanging" as much as I had been in other interviews. I was confident, I made lots of eye contact, and I could tell that this impressed the manager. I took every opportunity I could to emphasize how much I value great customer service - which was a good choice because the manager then proceeded to tell me how the Gap wanted it's employees to be "customer obsessed." This prompted some questions about how I would handle some hypothetical situations which involved me prioritizing tasks and being able to multitask - and I answered all of them by making it clear that the customer would be my #1 priority. He then asked me to pick out an outfit for him and my only guidelines were that it had to be for a male customer. I had five minutes (the first thing I did was look at all the mannequins and try to pick out something very similar) and I ended up picking out two "variations" of an outfit (I didn't really plan on doing this but I was torn between two options so I just picked both and chalked it up to "giving the customer options based on their personal preferences"). The manager didn't seem totally "wowed" by my choices - he actually expressed that he didn't like one of the shirt options that much (which is ironic because I noticed as he was talking that it was the exact shirt on the mannequin behind him). I didn't really let that phase me though and I just kept exuding the same confidence that I had during the 1 on 1 part. I proceeded to put away all of the clothes I had picked out and I could tell he really liked that. That was pretty much the end of the interview - he told me that if I was picked I would hear back within a few days and if not I would get a generic "thanks but no thanks" e-mail. I got a call about four days later and he offered me a job! Bottom line, while I'm sure previous work experience is a big plus, my interview experience with the Gap goes to show that they are looking for someone who is confident in their ability to go above and beyond for a customer - so if you get a chance to interview, keep that in mind!

Interview Questions

• Being asked to put together an outfit.   1 Answer
    • What does being customer obsessed mean to you?   Answer Question
    • You are working and these things all happen: you are in the middle of ringing up a customer, another customer walks in, a child knocks over a display, the phone rings, and the manager is asking you for assistance in the back room via headset. Prioritize them.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I personally didn't try to negotiate because I was just happy to be offered a job. However, the way the manager phrased the offer did make it seem nonnegotiable.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Kitchener, ON (Canada)) in April 2010.

Interview

I applied in March or early April via the online application provided at The Gap's website. It was very formal, but I appreciated that it wasn't generic. It was geared toward the position, and made me feel that if I was selected, it would mean that I actually demonstrated something they found appealing. It wasn't that I had submitted my application and they were interviewing me without knowing anything about me. I lost hope almost a month later, until I received a call back from the manager of one of the stores in my area. I came in for an interview which, to my surprise, was unlike any that I'd had before at any other company. It was centered around The Gap experience. What I thought I could get out of The Gap, what I thought The Gap could gain from hiring me. I felt challenged in this interview, in a positive way. It wasn't those typical situational questions or anything. It was great. After the interview, I was told the manager would pass my information on to a higher ranking manager, who would call me back, and that if I didn't hear back within 10 days, to call them. 10 days passed, but I was busy and forgot to call them back. On the 12th day, today, they called me and offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for The Gap?   Answer Question
    • You said earlier that your retail experience is completely different from the kind that you'll be getting if we hire you at The Gap. In what way is it different?   1 Answer
    • Why have you applied for clothing retail?   1 Answer
    • I'm going to say a couple of phrases, and I want you to tell me what they mean, in your words, and what they'd look like in the store. "Sense of urgency."   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gap in October 2009.

Interview

Your basic interview questions...How would you deal with a difficult customer? I answered a few questions and was promptly asked if I would stay and interview with the store manager. I was asked what were some of my strong points and what would I improve on. I was asked if I had a flexible schedule. Once you apply on line and answer the questions online, the interview goes fairly smooth. Availability and flexability are the most important things for the Gap, bring a smile and a good attitude and you should get hired. Plus, 50% off Gap and Banana Republic.

Interview Questions

• N/A but I would have to say, What is your availability?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

Group interview with myself and 4 other girls. We met with the Store's General Manager and our interview lasted for about an hour. During the interview we were given various role-play scenarios and were asked various situation based questions. Keep in mind Gap's number one goal is to be "Customer Obssesed".

Interview Questions

• Sell me your outfit. (Role-Play exercise where we were to describe our outfit, where you would find it being worn, and who you would find wearing it.)   Answer Question
    • (Scenario based question)Sell customer coming in on a Gap Card while help them to find an outfit for a specified event.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gap (Stamford, CT) in May 2010.

Interview

Received a call after filling out the online application. Interviewer did not start on time, had to wait around. Standard retail questions were asked--tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here and some offbeat ones like: "If a customer were to ask you for fashion advice, what would you dress them in?" Interviewer was pleasant but was not prepared for the interview--she ended up asking whatever she could think of at the moment. The people who worked there were young like most retail positions, so I would not bring up things like a college degree--I think they're looking for someone with tons of flexibility and someone who really doesn't mind working for minimum wage.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you received great customer service.   Answer Question