Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2015

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gap (Bristol, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Got a phone call the next asking basic questions: availability, do I shop at Gap etc. Called me back a few hours later inviting me to an interview in a few days. Interview lasted about an hour, had to answer basic questions about customer service eg. what do I think is the most important thing about customer service. Then had to go around the shop and offer help to customers while the interviewers watched from a distance, this was pretty easy as most people didn't need help anyway. Then had to 'observe the store' look at customer service and things and report back on things I thought were particularly good/ stood out. Final part was to select an outfit for a specific event and person (me for Glastonbury, £70 budget - ask questions about the outfit like budget and things I think that's what they were looking for) so went round store and found the outfit, was under budget by a little bit so they suggested I found an accessory so try to stay pretty close to the budget. Staff were all really friendly and made everything easy and casual. I was their last interview so I got a call later that day saying I got the job, going for a training day in a couple of days.

Interview Questions

• How did you pick your outfit today?   1 Answer
  • Who is your fashion icon?   1 Answer
  • Do you keep up with the latest fashion trends? How?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Gap

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gap (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Process took a week and a half. Very easy interview. Manager was very nice and fair. Skills interview was required. Got hired on the spot. Great interview! I was nervous at first but manager made me feel really comfortable.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Gap.

Interview

Interview process was a pretty typical retail interview experience. The manager was nice and the whole thing took about 10 minutes. Overall a positive experience, and the hiring process was concluded that same day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Gap (Orlando, FL) in June 2014.

Interview

It was very relaxed. Walked in and about 5 other people and I sat in a room. We met two of the managers and then he proceeded to ask us questions about ourselves. He was very friendly and open and he seemed to really care about our answers. It felt casual and not at all pressured. I felt pretty good about the interview once I left because of how relaxed and friendly the interviewer was.

Interview Questions

• He asked us about our passions and to sell an article of clothing that we were wearing to him. It did not take long.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Gap (Houston, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

Had to call the manager multiple times before I was asked to come into the store for an interview in the stock room. Group Interview. Personality test online and background check. Call back a few days later to offer position.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions. Asked about fashion, previous experience, how I would sell clothes, how I would handle customer complaints.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gap in April 2013.

Interview

I applied online. I felt I'd get the job because the post had been online for 30+ days. I got a call about a month later to set up an interview. The lady on the phone sounded wonderful. I wound up having her as my interviewer. She was the Customer Experience Manager. However, I could tell when she didn't like my answer. She asked a whole mob of questions off of a paper, such as "Name a time or situation when you...", "Who's your fashion icon?", "What's better: team work or working alone?", and she said I had a great interview. Now, it popped up that I had to go through a second interview with the GM. The second interview was, unbeknownst to me, a group interview. The other girl and I were walked back into a different room from my first interview, that turned out to be the break room, where somebody came for a snack or whatever during our interview. She asked "tell me about yourself," "Name a time where you had to lead," "What would you do if you saw an employee stealing?", and most of the interview was her explaining job duties, and that most of the time we will be on the floor by ourselves. Two interviews were too much for this position, though, There's nothing to be nervous about, enjoy the interview process, make sure you know a lot about the company.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you shopped at Gap?, Why Gap?, How would you describe Gap?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can negotiate, but I didn't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Gap (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Relaxed and conversational! We sat on a bench outside of the store and it was a one on one interview with the hiring manager at Gap. She was an older woman, and she was very relaxed and comfortable. Answer honestly, and intelligently. Know what job your applying for and the qualities desired for that job or industry.

Interview Questions

• What customer service experience do you have?
      Tell me about yourself?
      What are you all about?

1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cabazon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gap (Cabazon, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

It took almost a month from the day I submitted my application to when I got hired. I continuously followed up on my application, 3 times on the phone, and twice in person. The last time I followed up in person, I had an "on the spot" interview with the manager. She liked me, and gave me an official interview with 5 others, and 4 days after, I received a call saying I got hired.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and weaknesses, customer and co-worker scenarios, and of course... why Gap?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Gap (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

After about a month that I applied online, I got an email from the store, saying that they want to interview me with a group. I went to the location where I met 7 other interviewees, and the manager took us to a storage downstairs to interview us. She was really chill and asked us questions, and we would take turns answering them (no particular order). It wasn't anything intense, but I guess the downside of group interviews is that you have to think of another answer if someone else takes your answer.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself, and tell me one interesting thing about yourself.   1 Answer
    • Why did you apply for the Gap?   1 Answer
    • What would you consider as "exceptional customer service"?   1 Answer
    • Give three words that your friends would use to describe you. Choose one of those words and explain how that quality can play a role in customer service.   1 Answer
    • Choose any item in the store that fit the "summer trend", and sell it to me.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

interviewed at Gap (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview went well. I was in a group interview with 7 other individuals. We were all asked to introduce ourselves, and also asked situational questions. Overall, I thought it was a casual and easy interview.

Interview Questions

• A lot of the questions were situational. (Ie. How would you deal with a conflict between a coworker?)   Answer Question