Garage

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Garage.

Interview Details – i walked into the store and asked for application. the old assistant manager gave me one in store and had me take a questionnaire (can't be hired if not passed). She called me for an interview and immediately told me i was hired. SHE made working there worth while.

Interview Question – what would you do if you did not get along with store manager.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Arlington, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Garage in July 2013.

Interview Details – I came in to shop at the store and the manager start a conversation with me and the next thing I know she offered me a job and gave me paperwork on the same day right on the spot.

Interview Question – No interview but she know I have strong retail background.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward. Every sales associate get paid at the same rate disregard retail experience level. No negotiation.

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Garage.

Interview Details – When you turn in app, they will determine if your look fits the store brand. If it does not than they do not consider you for any positions. If you are determined to be brand than they will call you for an interview you. they want to get to know you and see what your personality is like if you have traits that fit the Brand. Remember to be WWGGH- Warm Welcoming, Genuine, Generous, Helpful. You must pass there customer service test their background test and their credit check to get to the interview stage.

Interview Question – They ask you about difficult situations you have had in the past. Typical interview questions. If your look fits the brand and you have an up beat personality you will get hired.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much opportunity to negotiate. They have a set bracket of pay for what they are hiring for they may go up 25 cents but thats about it

Paramus, NJ

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garage in August 2009.

Interview Details – GARAGE CLOTHING is weird in that the hiring process takes place on the clothing floor itself. The interview was inturupted by customers and she couldnt hear e because of the music. Overall the place was like the uglier cousin of A&F and i was way overdressed compared to the uggs and flannel the people on the floor were wearing. If you want to get hired just work in that your neat, you can sell, and you are always on time.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were faced with an obstacle and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Willow Grove, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Garage in June 2010.

Interview Details – I filled out an application on their website, they called be back within about a week, maybe two weeks. I had to go in for a questionnaire, mainly consisting of situational questions, all which had to be completed in 30 minutes; I could not make it the original day that they wanted me to come, they were lenient with allowing me to reschedule. I was called back a couple of days after their estimated date of when they were going to let me know. When you go in for the interview, some advice would be to take a good look at their clothes, they will definitely ask you questions, which knowing their style will help. Most of the questions were about basic retail. You might be asked to sell an item on you, some even have to put together an outfit with their clothes, to sell to whoever is interviewing them. After the interview, the assistant manager, who was the one that I was interviewed by, seemed more laid-back, than she did in the interview. I heard back a bit later than when I was told that they would call me.

Interview Question – How would you sell me your purse?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase

Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Garage in May 2010.

Interview Details – This is a clothing company originally from Canada but is now coming to the United States and I applied to a new one opening in my state through a job fair. It was fairly easy all I had to do was pick up an application, fill it out, give it back and then waited a minute to be interviewed by someone. The girl who interviewed me was super nice and was the co-manager of the store (i guess they have that even though it's not even opened yet) but the interview questions were basic, she asked about my previous experience, what is my biggest accomplishment and how would i describe good customer service and a few more questions along those lines. It's been almost a month and i have not recieved a call from them but the store is not even opened yet still so i'm still hoping to get the call.

Interview Question – What benefits would you say a good company will offer you?   Answer Question

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Garage in April 2014.

Interview Details – Group interview with 3 questions: Recall a time you had to do something you didn't want and how you handled it, recall a time you had to do teamwork and how you organized or did it, and recall a time you went out of your way to better a customer's experience.

Interview Question – not very difficult of an interview   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Garage.

Interview Details – After applying in store and filling out a small questionnaire (regarding what you would do give x situation), I was called for an interview about one month later. I was interviewed alone with the merchandising manager. I was asked generic interview questions about previous job experiences, what I would do if I saw someone shoplifting, how I would handle a difficult customer, and I was asked to sell the scarf my interview was wearing.

Interview Question – Explaining and trying to sell the scarf as I was unfamiliar with the scarf and not given any time to become familar with the item.   Answer Question

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Garage.

Interview Details – interview was nice, the managers treated me nicely and got back to me the next day.

Interview Question – "Do you believe in the saying 'the customer is always right'?"   Answer Question

Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Garage in October 2012.

Interview Details – I initially deposited my CV without any previous experience in retail or clothing store sales, so I was very surprised to get a call-back for an interview a week later, particularly since they didn't seem to be hiring at the time. The first interview was with the store manager, and she was very sweet and nice. The questions were easy to prepare for, and targeted things like "what was a tough situation in your past job experience with an employee/client and how did you handle it?" or "how would you sell me your outfit?" and "what made you apply for Garage?" The most important things to mention were team effort, customer satisfaction and helpfulness and the need to expand my experience into retail where I would be useful. I also emphasized greatly on being in a good mood and very helpful. I drew a lot on my experience as a shopper at Garage, since I always felt great there. The questions were half in French and half in English, took about a half hour, and the other half-hour was spent answering a multiple choice questionnaire about customer service (pretty simple).
I then got a second interview with the district manager, and my store manager told me he wanted to observe her hiring process. However, I found he was a hard, unsmiling kind of man, as much as he said to relax because he doesn't bite. He asked most of the questions and he was much pointier than her, so I got more nervous. He said things like "why would I want to hire you/what would I see different in my store if I hired you?" The important thing is to keep your cool and stick to your guns, and repeat that customers will be happier since you are always in a good mood and will do your best to satisfy their every whim. Also in French and English.

Interview Question – "What will I see different in my store if I hire you?"   View Answer

Worked for Garage? Contribute to the Community!