Garmin

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Avionics Software Engineer Interview

Olathe, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in August 2012.

Interview Details – Three weeks of phone calls hyping the company and arranging an onsite interview at Olathe. Hyped to believe that an offer was highly likely. They wanted me to provide written performance evaluations from former bosses. The hiring event brought in about twenty engineers on one day. The group of twenty was divided to to two groups - the young ones and the old ones. I was in the old group. We were sent on a four hour drive around the Kansas City are to educate us on the advantages of moving to KC. Then, a four hour interview schedule where each group lead me to believe I would "almost certainly get an offer". HR was taking down information from me as if it was certain I'd get an offer. Interviewed with Marine, aviation and automotive. The aviation guy gave me a riddle/puzzle to solve - how to guess a sequence given some information about each guess. I passed, but he thought I took too long. He also wanted me to do some sort of word association. Careerbuilder / Personified ran the event and bungled the company's response, which was to decline to make an offer. I waited for an email that didn't come. The HR babe who had been sooo supportive a few days later would not offer any advice as to why I was not selected or answer phone calls. I thought it was very inconsiderate when one considers how many hours I had to put in to attend this event. I went away from this interview never wanting to work there.

Interview Question – "Technical challenge" - with two anxious interviewers staring at you across a table provide code / pseudo code of how to reverse a linked list in five minutes or less with them showing visible frustration if you weren't ready for this. No other questions about C or C++, just do you remember data structures class from 20 years ago which you haven't had reason to use since.   View Answers (3)

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Garmin

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Garmin Avionics Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Garmin employees and interview candidates.