Garmin

Updated Nov 25, 2014

3.2

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

Previously had a recommendation from a former intern to check the company out at one of their on-campus events, and specifically who to talk to. At the event, I spoke with a rep and we talked about some past work specific to hardware design. The first technical interview was scheduled the next day. It involved some more in depth conversation about relevant work and working through some simple electronic circuits - op amp, MOSFETs, diodes, filters...wasn't 100% on everything but the idea was to demonstrate the problem solving process.

On site interview was 2 weeks later. After an HR interview, I spoke with some managers where we did a similar interview as before, including some more circuit worksheets. Afterwards, there was a campus tour.

Interview Questions
  • Technical interview was challenging but not unexpected.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

First talked to an HR person, mostly about my previous technical experience/projects from school, work, or internships. I was invited to an on-site interview where two hiring managers conducted the interview. The interview was mostly (95%) technical. It consisted of about 45 minutes of problem solving (like in a test). The problems were mostly circuits and electronics based (know your op-amps and filters). They wanted to make sure I know my basics and the way I think and solve problems. After the "test" there was some time for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • Question involving digital to analog design.   View Answer

Offer was good and Garmin is an amazing company, but I have decided to accept another offer. Very hard decision.

Design Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

I was called for a phone interview,the HR woman rushed through the interview in 15 mins. Not very nice, not a good use of time. If they are excited about your experience they'll give you the time of day, if you don't come in with mad experience or mad skills don't bother. She would ask the same questions over again.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult analog circuit you've ever worked on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2013.

Job application began with an online job advertisement. It led to a phone interview with an HR representative.

During the phone interview I was drilled about my resume (line by line in the "experience" section). I was asked about "PCB design experience" for each different job*, though I stated in first five minutes of the interview that I had none in my standard coursework. (However, I worked with PCB assembly for an entire summer.)

The interview had zero behavioral questions and was exclusively based on technical experience. Worse yet, the HR representative had no design knowledge to ascertain the quality of my answers. (I had to explain to her what an inductor does at one point.) Each statement I made was followed by notes being taken. No real conversation was possible.

Towards the end of the interview, I was assured that Garmin valued my time and told they looked for the "most technical candidates" only. If they liked my profile, I would be called on-site for a technical interview with an engineer.

I wasn't called back, but I did receive an impersonal rejection email three weeks later. I've since been rejected without communication from several other positions, all of which my credentials met some or all requirements.

*My summers during college went as follows: summer class and a PCB assembly job, summer class, and a volunteer leadership role at a life skills program for college students. I'm now a senior who will graduate from a difficult Electrical Engineering program (possibly cum laude) in only four years. My representative responded, "No internship. Interesting..."

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult design challenge you've ever faced, and how did you overcome it?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

The process took a dayinterviewed at Garmin in July 2008.

Got a call from recruiter, scheduled a phone interview, basically HR questions over the phone. Which went very well. Onsite was followed quickly by phone interview.

Design Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2011.

Getting an onsite interview directly from a campus recruiter. The most difficult part of the on-site interview is the first technical interview. I was asked to solve several circuit problem, but I didn't get all of them though. Then someone would take you tour the entire building and take you to the lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Give you a circuit diagram that has OPAMP, transistor...etc, and calculate the current, voltage..etc.   Answer Question