Garmin

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kansas City, KS

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2013.

Interview Details – Job application began with an online job advertisement. It led to a phone interview with an HR representative.

During the phone interview I was drilled about my resume (line by line in the "experience" section). I was asked about "PCB design experience" for each different job*, though I stated in first five minutes of the interview that I had none in my standard coursework. (However, I worked with PCB assembly for an entire summer.)

The interview had zero behavioral questions and was exclusively based on technical experience. Worse yet, the HR representative had no design knowledge to ascertain the quality of my answers. (I had to explain to her what an inductor does at one point.) Each statement I made was followed by notes being taken. No real conversation was possible.

Towards the end of the interview, I was assured that Garmin valued my time and told they looked for the "most technical candidates" only. If they liked my profile, I would be called on-site for a technical interview with an engineer.

I wasn't called back, but I did receive an impersonal rejection email three weeks later. I've since been rejected without communication from several other positions, all of which my credentials met some or all requirements.

*My summers during college went as follows: summer class and a PCB assembly job, summer class, and a volunteer leadership role at a life skills program for college students. I'm now a senior who will graduate from a difficult Electrical Engineering program (possibly cum laude) in only four years. My representative responded, "No internship. Interesting..."

Interview Question – What is the most difficult design challenge you've ever faced, and how did you overcome it?   View Answer

Design Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – I was called for a phone interview,the HR woman rushed through the interview in 15 mins. Not very nice, not a good use of time. If they are excited about your experience they'll give you the time of day, if you don't come in with mad experience or mad skills don't bother. She would ask the same questions over again.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult analog circuit you've ever worked on?   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

The process took a day - interviewed at Garmin in July 2008.

Interview Details – Got a call from recruiter, scheduled a phone interview, basically HR questions over the phone. Which went very well. Onsite was followed quickly by phone interview.

Interview Question – Describe LFSR   Answer Question

Design Engineer

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2011.

Interview Details – Getting an onsite interview directly from a campus recruiter. The most difficult part of the on-site interview is the first technical interview. I was asked to solve several circuit problem, but I didn't get all of them though. Then someone would take you tour the entire building and take you to the lunch.

Interview Question – Give you a circuit diagram that has OPAMP, transistor...etc, and calculate the current, voltage..etc.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Garmin

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Garmin Design Engineer interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Garmin employees and interview candidates.