Garmin Embedded Test Software Engineer Interview Questions

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Olathe, KS
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Garmin in February 2011.

I applied for this position in January 2011 through the Garmin website, and initially did not receive a reply. I was however contacted by a Garmin HR recruiter who had noticed my profile on LinkedIn. After a phone interview with HR, I was invited for an on-site interview in February. I was met in the lobby at 8:00 a.m. and escorted a small conference room near the main entrance. From 8 am to noon, I was interviewed hourly by a representative, or pair of representatives, of various teams within the company. I was given two C/C++ tests, which were probably pretty simple for someone who codes daily. However, since coding has not been in my test engineering career path, and my CS degree is rusty, I did not do very well on these. I found it curious that so much emphasis was placed on C/C++ coding for a testing position, but apparently that is the Garmin development model. I was also asked general lifecycle, testing/QA, FAA regulatory and avionics questions, which I thought I answered well. The Garmin recruiter then took me to lunch in the cafeteria, where I had an opportunity to ask questions and recap my qualifications. I left with hopes of receiving an offer, but 2 days later I received a form rejection notice by email. Attempts to follow up with HR and with persons who interviewed me were unsuccessful. To their credit, everyone was professional and pleasant -- but don't expect any debriefing if you don't get an offer.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you had a technical disagreement you felt strongly about, with another person on your team, and how you handled this.   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Olathe, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Garmin in May 2010.

Met a recruiter at a career fair. This was followed by a behavioral phone interview. I was then flown out to their campus where I had two hiring managers scheduled to interview me, was given a tour of the site, had a face to face interview with the HR rep who I'd phone interviewed with earlier, and was scheduled last minute for a final interview with a manager who the other managers thought would be a better fit for me.

Interview Questions
    • I was given two sets of C code, which as far as I could tell printed "Garfield" to sysout. Except one of them printed too much of the string, and would have printed the terminating character at the end of the code. I was asked which one would compile, but both would, so I just walked through each function and explained the outcome to the manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Garmin in March 2010.

Consisted of initial Phone HR interview followed by on site interview. Three teams interviewed me in the field of OOPS, C++, Embedded C , memory management and DAta STructures and algorithms.

THe interview lasted for 5 hours totally. The interviewers were very friendly and helpful. There was an initial HR interview on site as well. It consisted of usual questions like where do u see urself in 5 years, what is ur expected salary etc.

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!