Garmin

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

Phone screen by HR, technical phone interview by person in group. On site interview with any interested groups, pretty standard. Very smart people, and know what they are looking for in a candidate, which is refreshing. More interested in your background and abilities than ability to solve (memorize solutions to) mind melting puzzles.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly background information from the resume. Each round had 2 technical questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Garmin.

This interview was following a career fair at a university. At the career fair they were very friendly. I was called the same day later that evening for an interview. The next day I was interviewed by 3 engineers who asked technical questions, and 1 HR person who asked behavioral questions. The technical and behavioral questions were asked separately in my case but I think they are usually asked consecutively.

Interview Questions
    • Write a short program that prints out the first 5 primes. ( In Java)   Answer Question
    • Explain polymorphism in Java.   Answer Question
    • What is a difference between a struct and a java class?   Answer Question
    • Was also asked "solve this problem" type question. Where the scenario was: there are 4 items such as A, B, C, D and they all need to cross the bridge to the other side. It is dark and there is only one flashlight around. Constraints are: A takes 1 second to cross, B = 3, C=5, and D=10. 2 letters/items must cross at a time because they need to use the flashlight, and it must be carried back an forth. Find the least expensive path.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Met with recruiter at university career fair. Had thirty minute general interview the next morning with a thirty minute technical interview immediately after. General interview was fairly straightforward. Interviewer asked about previous internship job and what I would like to do at Garmin. Technical interview was also straightforward with little trickery.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to describe what a sample of C code was doing and how it could be optimized.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview was 2 part. The first part was a getting to know you phone interview, that assessed your knowledge of the company, your interests, anything that was on your resume, pretty standard interview. An in person interview was scheduled for a week later. The in person interview was more technically focused. There was a lot of discussion about previous projects, embedded systems, and more about the company itself. A programming assignment was given with 3 problems. They were all written in C. The first problem was a program the draws an exponential function on a Cartesian plane. There is a semicolon after the for loop that causes the function to run incorrectly. You are asked to explain what the program does, find the problem, then explain what it actually does with the added semicolon. The next two assignments are adding programs. An array is values is to be added. In the first problem the variable "int total" is not instantiated to 0, so it will have a crazy value. In the second instance pointers are used for the program. In the for loop where total would be incremented the pointer "p" was not dereferenced with an "*"

Interview Questions
    • The question over the pointer is tricky, many young developers (including myself) have difficultly understanding and using pointers effectively.   Answer Question

Embedded Test Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Garmin in January 2015.

Phone interview with HR rep.

There was some discussion about my background and resume, but it didn't seem like the interviewer had the background for a technical discussion.

Interview Questions
    • There were a number of by the book generic interview questions; like, 'tell me how solved a difficult problem'. And why I was interested in working for the company.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Garmin.

Two short interviews in person. One was a technical interview based mainly on resume projects and how you approached them, details on how you implemented something, what you would have done differently, etc. The second interview was with HR and was behavioral, with questions about what you enjoy doing, what kind of person you are, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to follow strict regulations and how you adapted your work style to meet these regulations.   Answer Question

I didn't like the location of the internship.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in December 2014.

Applied online and got an email from hr to setup an interview, interviewed with another person for about an hour. Interviewer was very polite and professional but was a bit too direct about other companies I was interviewing with and desired salary. It made it seem like they care more about how cheaply they can get a new hire rather than their quality. The interviewer promised an offer or rejection within two weeks and actually delivered it (unfortunately this seems less common than it should be).

Interview Questions
    • Basics about coursework and past projects, particular interest in c++ and embedded systems.
      Where else have you applied and who do you have offers with? <-- bad question
      How much is your desired salary for this role? <-- interview seemed great until this question, I did not ask for any more than the average for interns and was willing to negotiate, but interview turned sour after my answer.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Very smooth process, good HR and kind, knowledgeable senior members that interview. Interview was fairly long but very enjoyable, talked with 2 different people about past experience + what to get out of garmin. A lot of conceptual coding questions, a bit of algorithmic coding questions. Overall very smooth, good experience, great company, great office, great work environment

Interview Questions
    • What are the premium differences between java and c and why might you use c over an object oriented language   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin in November 2014.

Met with HR Recruiter during a campus visit. E-mailed me within a week to schedule a phone interview which took place the next week.

Phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and was mostly behavioral (Describe projects you've worked on, most favorite and least favorite classes, etc.) along with one technical question. Received an e-mail exactly one week later inviting me for an on-site interview.

On-site interview consisted of a initial meeting with HR, two technical interviews, lunch tour, and then one more technical interview. The technical interviews were with three different groups, two from aviation and one from outdoor. I brought one of my school projects along with me and was very enthusiastic about showing it to them, and in the aviation interviews we even spent more than half the time talking about it. Other questions given to me were basic Operating Systems and C coding questions.

Received a call two weeks later (there was a holiday weekend in there somewhere) with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • -Count the number of set bits in an integer
      -Find all odd values in the array and make them even (array and array length are arguments)
      --(Follow up) How would you do the previous question without a for loop?
      -Describe the purpose of a Semaphore
      -Describe how multi-threading works

Answer Question
    They were very open to negotiations and I was able to get the offer raised by about 6%.

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Garmin.

I gave them my resume at school career fair. They contacted me after a few weeks to fill out the online application and schedule for a phone interview. The interview took half an hour. They just basically went through my resume and asked some questions related to my school work.