Garmin Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

2.8

Operations Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

First interview over the phone. Mostly behavioral question about what you would do in certain situations. Also asked a few demographic questions. The interview wasn't very difficult. Whole interview was about 30 minutes.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

Phone screen by HR, technical phone interview by person in group. On site interview with any interested groups, pretty standard. Very smart people, and know what they are looking for in a candidate, which is refreshing. More interested in your background and abilities than ability to solve (memorize solutions to) mind melting puzzles.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly background information from the resume. Each round had 2 technical questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Garmin.

This interview was following a career fair at a university. At the career fair they were very friendly. I was called the same day later that evening for an interview. The next day I was interviewed by 3 engineers who asked technical questions, and 1 HR person who asked behavioral questions. The technical and behavioral questions were asked separately in my case but I think they are usually asked consecutively.

Interview Questions
    • Write a short program that prints out the first 5 primes. ( In Java)   Answer Question
    • Explain polymorphism in Java.   Answer Question
    • What is a difference between a struct and a java class?   Answer Question
    • Was also asked "solve this problem" type question. Where the scenario was: there are 4 items such as A, B, C, D and they all need to cross the bridge to the other side. It is dark and there is only one flashlight around. Constraints are: A takes 1 second to cross, B = 3, C=5, and D=10. 2 letters/items must cross at a time because they need to use the flashlight, and it must be carried back an forth. Find the least expensive path.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Met with recruiter at university career fair. Had thirty minute general interview the next morning with a thirty minute technical interview immediately after. General interview was fairly straightforward. Interviewer asked about previous internship job and what I would like to do at Garmin. Technical interview was also straightforward with little trickery.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to describe what a sample of C code was doing and how it could be optimized.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in February 2015.

The interview process was handled professionally and with great proficiency. Non of the questions were an effort at eluding or suprising you. Know basics of c, and information about embedded systems as well as microprocessors. The first interview is an attempt to become familiar with you over the phone, while the second is an on site interview that is more technically rigorous. Again, know your c languages and you should do relatively well.

Lobby Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in February 2015.

I found the job posting for Lobby Receptionist through Google and Garmin's website. I received an email from their recruiter at the main headquarters in Kansas five days later to schedule a phone interview the next week. The phone interview lasted 28 minutes and I was told the Front Desk Manager would be making a decision to further the process within the next few days. I then received a call later on in the day from the manager. My on site interview was scheduled for a week later in a meeting room with the Front Desk Manager and the Front Desk Supervisor. Both were very professional and friendly, the interview questions came off as the company wanting a Lobby Receptionist that fit the initial description exactly. This on site interview lasted 35 minutes and I was informed a final decision would be reached in a couple of weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you were given instructions that you misunderstood and what was the outcome of the situation?   Answer Question
    • What type of manager do you like to work for?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe a time when you utilized your organizational skills?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in February 2015.

This was a phone Interview about work history, job preferences, and behaivor questions. The recruiter asked the normal screening questions about employment and citizenship. Then she asked more about me and what my expectations and goals were. Then she asked about my experiences in supply chain and a problem I encountered in my job.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of work environment do you prefer?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a supply chain management project that you haved worked on?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview was 2 part. The first part was a getting to know you phone interview, that assessed your knowledge of the company, your interests, anything that was on your resume, pretty standard interview. An in person interview was scheduled for a week later. The in person interview was more technically focused. There was a lot of discussion about previous projects, embedded systems, and more about the company itself. A programming assignment was given with 3 problems. They were all written in C. The first problem was a program the draws an exponential function on a Cartesian plane. There is a semicolon after the for loop that causes the function to run incorrectly. You are asked to explain what the program does, find the problem, then explain what it actually does with the added semicolon. The next two assignments are adding programs. An array is values is to be added. In the first problem the variable "int total" is not instantiated to 0, so it will have a crazy value. In the second instance pointers are used for the program. In the for loop where total would be incremented the pointer "p" was not dereferenced with an "*"

Interview Questions
    • The question over the pointer is tricky, many young developers (including myself) have difficultly understanding and using pointers effectively.   Answer Question

Embedded Test Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Garmin in January 2015.

Phone interview with HR rep.

There was some discussion about my background and resume, but it didn't seem like the interviewer had the background for a technical discussion.

Interview Questions
    • There were a number of by the book generic interview questions; like, 'tell me how solved a difficult problem'. And why I was interested in working for the company.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in December 2014.

Applied online and got an email from hr to setup an interview, interviewed with another person for about an hour. Interviewer was very polite and professional but was a bit too direct about other companies I was interviewing with and desired salary. It made it seem like they care more about how cheaply they can get a new hire rather than their quality. The interviewer promised an offer or rejection within two weeks and actually delivered it (unfortunately this seems less common than it should be).

Interview Questions
    • Basics about coursework and past projects, particular interest in c++ and embedded systems.
      Where else have you applied and who do you have offers with? <-- bad question
      How much is your desired salary for this role? <-- interview seemed great until this question, I did not ask for any more than the average for interns and was willing to negotiate, but interview turned sour after my answer.

Answer Question