Garmin Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Had phone interview with recruiter with typical HR questions about background, experience, etc. Was told that they would get back to me the following week to setup a call with the development team, and that the entire process would be about 3 weeks. Never heard back, and the recruiter never responded to a followup email asking about the status of things.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Nice folks and facilities. Great technology working on reasonably cutting edge stuff. Very friendly, reasonably organized considering the time constraints of my availability. Even bought me lunch since they ran over. Several hours, with 7 different people over about 3 hours. Interview started promptly on time, very nice allowing for restrooms breaks and water for comfort. Mostly a comfortable conversation, no difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions regarding experience and notable highlights on my resume. Very odd to be given an oral programming exam consisting of freshman level questions, despite my 18 years experience and teaching college content for 5 years, but the interviewer was respectful.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

2 phone interviews and then one on-site interview. It took a week for the HR to get back. I accepted the offer right it's more than what i asked for.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

The first two interviews were a breeze with no hard questions at all. The first interview with human resources lasted about 10 minutes. All they wanted to know what if I had a background dealing with sponsorships. My second interview was with the hiring manager. Again he did not have any hard questions such as why I wanted to work with Garmin or why they should hire me. He just asked me about my current employer and my fishing background. I tried following up a week later by leaving him a voice mail, no response. Called and left a message with HR two weeks after that, no response. Waited two more weeks and followed up with an email to the hiring manager asking about my status with no response. I gave up trying after that and 2 months later I finally get a general email saying they moved on with other candidates. I just wish they had treated me a little differently considering I went through a second interview. They did not give me a time of day to respond to an email or simply return a phone call.

Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

I applied for the job online then received a call a few days later. They scheduled and phone interview 2 days later. The phone interview lasted 15 minutes, talked about experiences and why I would be a good fit for the position. They said they would be in contact but no call back.

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted through email within a day to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted around 20 minutes. The recruiter did not ask anything technical. Asked things like what my favorite class was, or my least favorite. Why I preferred a certain language. General questions about resume and the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Started with 2 hr interviews. Mentioned a game that I wrote in my spare time, they loved it. They had me come to KC KS for an interview. The coding question was elementary. Theoretical questions touched subject matter no higher than Data Structure questions, such as stack vs. queue, etc.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a stack and a queue?   1 Answer
    • What is a situation that might result in a stack overflow?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Their initial offer was much more than I anticipated, I accepted it with no further regard.

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

First interview over the phone. Mostly behavioral question about what you would do in certain situations. Also asked a few demographic questions. The interview wasn't very difficult. Whole interview was about 30 minutes.

Aviation Systems/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online and heard back from recruiter a couple of weeks later. The recruiter was very polite and professional. Interviewed on the phone and was invited to on site interview. I always wanted to see what Garmin's hype was all about. The first interview was with an HR person who I had not talked before (the main HR person I talked to was busy with something else that day). One of the first questions she asked was how much are you making right now? When I told her how much I currently made she said "Well, at Garmin we do not start our associates at a very high salary, but once they prove themselves we will increase their salaries" Wow really? What a nice way to start the interview. That was the first red flag of the day. After that, I interviewed with 4 people. 2 of them were great and easy to talk to. However, I can't say the same about the other 2 that interviewed with. They came across the wrong as rude, disengaged during the interview and had not even looked at my resume before the interview. This was the second red flag of the day and it really made me wonder what it would be like to work with people like that. When I left Garmin, I already knew there was no way that I would be able to work there. From the beginning it seems like they were more worried about money than I was. Also, the people who you work with are 80% of the reason why you either enjoy or hate your job. In the past I have worked with very intelligent people who were very humble and friendly. Humble is the key. In the case of Garmin's engineers I got a very different vibe. I'm glad I did visit Garmin to see what it was all about. The building is nice and they have a room with ping pong tables. But they are not like other companies in the same industry as far as salary, benefits, engineer's attitude, opportunities and long term prospect.

Interview Questions

• Asked about requirements, testing, architecture and design and gave me a couple easy problems to solve.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Phone screen by HR, technical phone interview by person in group. On site interview with any interested groups, pretty standard. Very smart people, and know what they are looking for in a candidate, which is refreshing. More interested in your background and abilities than ability to solve (memorize solutions to) mind melting puzzles.

Interview Questions

• Mostly background information from the resume. Each round had 2 technical questions.   Answer Question