Garmin Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Chandler, AZ).

Interview

Pretty standard Software Engineer Intern interview experience. I had my technical interview well before my HR phone screen which I thought was very odd. During the technical interview the two guys conducting my interview left the room.. which I thought was also very odd. This defeats the purpose of seeing how I solve the problem and only looks at my solution.

Interview Questions

• If you were to develop a very large project, where would you begin?   Answer Question
    • If a program is running slowly on a computer which has a large amount of memory and processing power, how would you speed it up? Logic cannot be simplified.   1 Answer
    • In C, write a function that takes a 16 bit integer as input and outputs it's ascii value   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Had phone interview with recruiter with typical HR questions about background, experience, etc. Was told that they would get back to me the following week to setup a call with the development team, and that the entire process would be about 3 weeks. Never heard back, and the recruiter never responded to a followup email asking about the status of things.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Nice folks and facilities. Great technology working on reasonably cutting edge stuff. Very friendly, reasonably organized considering the time constraints of my availability. Even bought me lunch since they ran over. Several hours, with 7 different people over about 3 hours. Interview started promptly on time, very nice allowing for restrooms breaks and water for comfort. Mostly a comfortable conversation, no difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions regarding experience and notable highlights on my resume. Very odd to be given an oral programming exam consisting of freshman level questions, despite my 18 years experience and teaching college content for 5 years, but the interviewer was respectful.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

2 phone interviews and then one on-site interview. It took a week for the HR to get back. I accepted the offer right it's more than what i asked for.

Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

I applied for the job online then received a call a few days later. They scheduled and phone interview 2 days later. The phone interview lasted 15 minutes, talked about experiences and why I would be a good fit for the position. They said they would be in contact but no call back.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

The first two interviews were a breeze with no hard questions at all. The first interview with human resources lasted about 10 minutes. All they wanted to know what if I had a background dealing with sponsorships. My second interview was with the hiring manager. Again he did not have any hard questions such as why I wanted to work with Garmin or why they should hire me. He just asked me about my current employer and my fishing background. I tried following up a week later by leaving him a voice mail, no response. Called and left a message with HR two weeks after that, no response. Waited two more weeks and followed up with an email to the hiring manager asking about my status with no response. I gave up trying after that and 2 months later I finally get a general email saying they moved on with other candidates. I just wish they had treated me a little differently considering I went through a second interview. They did not give me a time of day to respond to an email or simply return a phone call.

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted through email within a day to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted around 20 minutes. The recruiter did not ask anything technical. Asked things like what my favorite class was, or my least favorite. Why I preferred a certain language. General questions about resume and the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Started with 2 hr interviews. Mentioned a game that I wrote in my spare time, they loved it. They had me come to KC KS for an interview. The coding question was elementary. Theoretical questions touched subject matter no higher than Data Structure questions, such as stack vs. queue, etc.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a stack and a queue?   1 Answer
    • What is a situation that might result in a stack overflow?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Their initial offer was much more than I anticipated, I accepted it with no further regard.

Applications Developer-oracle Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, KS) in April 2015.

Interview

They paid for the expenses for me to travel to their location for the interview. That was about the only good part of the interview. I arrived at the headquarters ahead of time and waited well past the interview time for anyone to come meet with me. After being introduced to the benefits of the company, I was asked to wait in a meeting room. A manager from the BA side and another manager from some other department showed up and went through their questions which I felt I answered well. Then came the next round with my hiring manager and 3 others. One of them in a t-shirt and jeans because he appparently "forgot" he had to conduct an interview that day. They have casual clothes allowed at work but when they show up for interviews like that, it shows how much they care about work. They asked many of the same questions as in the first round, which I again answered well. Then came some absolutely irrelevant questions from the manager from manufacturing, who I had no clue why he was there. I answered those best I could and left after the interview. They do not even let you know about the results of the interview. You have to follow up multiple times to be told you "sounded uninterested" in the job. So I flew all the way there because I was uninterested? But they had horrible pay anyway. Those who work there must be the really meek ones to accept such low pay.

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

First interview over the phone. Mostly behavioral question about what you would do in certain situations. Also asked a few demographic questions. The interview wasn't very difficult. Whole interview was about 30 minutes.