Garmin Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.7

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Nice folks and facilities. Great technology working on reasonably cutting edge stuff. Very friendly, reasonably organized considering the time constraints of my availability. Even bought me lunch since they ran over. Several hours, with 7 different people over about 3 hours. Interview started promptly on time, very nice allowing for restrooms breaks and water for comfort. Mostly a comfortable conversation, no difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions regarding experience and notable highlights on my resume. Very odd to be given an oral programming exam consisting of freshman level questions, despite my 18 years experience and teaching college content for 5 years, but the interviewer was respectful.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

2 phone interviews and then one on-site interview. It took a week for the HR to get back. I accepted the offer right it's more than what i asked for.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Started with 2 hr interviews. Mentioned a game that I wrote in my spare time, they loved it. They had me come to KC KS for an interview. The coding question was elementary. Theoretical questions touched subject matter no higher than Data Structure questions, such as stack vs. queue, etc.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a stack and a queue?   1 Answer
    • What is a situation that might result in a stack overflow?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Their initial offer was much more than I anticipated, I accepted it with no further regard.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Phone screen by HR, technical phone interview by person in group. On site interview with any interested groups, pretty standard. Very smart people, and know what they are looking for in a candidate, which is refreshing. More interested in your background and abilities than ability to solve (memorize solutions to) mind melting puzzles.

Interview Questions

• Mostly background information from the resume. Each round had 2 technical questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was handled professionally and with great proficiency. Non of the questions were an effort at eluding or suprising you. Know basics of c, and information about embedded systems as well as microprocessors. The first interview is an attempt to become familiar with you over the phone, while the second is an on site interview that is more technically rigorous. Again, know your c languages and you should do relatively well.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Interview was 2 part. The first part was a getting to know you phone interview, that assessed your knowledge of the company, your interests, anything that was on your resume, pretty standard interview. An in person interview was scheduled for a week later. The in person interview was more technically focused. There was a lot of discussion about previous projects, embedded systems, and more about the company itself. A programming assignment was given with 3 problems. They were all written in C. The first problem was a program the draws an exponential function on a Cartesian plane. There is a semicolon after the for loop that causes the function to run incorrectly. You are asked to explain what the program does, find the problem, then explain what it actually does with the added semicolon. The next two assignments are adding programs. An array is values is to be added. In the first problem the variable "int total" is not instantiated to 0, so it will have a crazy value. In the second instance pointers are used for the program. In the for loop where total would be incremented the pointer "p" was not dereferenced with an "*"

Interview Questions

• The question over the pointer is tricky, many young developers (including myself) have difficultly understanding and using pointers effectively.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Two short interviews in person. One was a technical interview based mainly on resume projects and how you approached them, details on how you implemented something, what you would have done differently, etc. The second interview was with HR and was behavioral, with questions about what you enjoy doing, what kind of person you are, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to follow strict regulations and how you adapted your work style to meet these regulations.   Answer Question

I didn't like the location of the internship.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very smooth process, good HR and kind, knowledgeable senior members that interview. Interview was fairly long but very enjoyable, talked with 2 different people about past experience + what to get out of garmin. A lot of conceptual coding questions, a bit of algorithmic coding questions. Overall very smooth, good experience, great company, great office, great work environment

Interview Questions

• What are the premium differences between java and c and why might you use c over an object oriented language   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in November 2014.

Interview

Met with HR Recruiter during a campus visit. E-mailed me within a week to schedule a phone interview which took place the next week. Phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and was mostly behavioral (Describe projects you've worked on, most favorite and least favorite classes, etc.) along with one technical question. Received an e-mail exactly one week later inviting me for an on-site interview. On-site interview consisted of a initial meeting with HR, two technical interviews, lunch tour, and then one more technical interview. The technical interviews were with three different groups, two from aviation and one from outdoor. I brought one of my school projects along with me and was very enthusiastic about showing it to them, and in the aviation interviews we even spent more than half the time talking about it. Other questions given to me were basic Operating Systems and C coding questions. Received a call two weeks later (there was a holiday weekend in there somewhere) with an offer.

Interview Questions

• -Count the number of set bits in an integer -Find all odd values in the array and make them even (array and array length are arguments) --(Follow up) How would you do the previous question without a for loop? -Describe the purpose of a Semaphore -Describe how multi-threading works   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were very open to negotiations and I was able to get the offer raised by about 6%.

Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

Let me first say that getting hired on at Garmin happens by complete luck. Their application/interview process is horrible, rude and unprofessional. I originally applied for other positions within the company but was rejected in all cases. Eventually i applied as a replenishment associate because I had 10+ years experience in all fields they were interested in. The interview process consisted of a phone interview where behavioral questions are the norm. If you pass this screening you get an onsite interview that typically involves meeting with the HR recruiter. If the recruiter likes you then you'll meet with the hiring manager. If you don't meet or exceed all of their expected AND desired qualifications don't even bother applying. You'll get an informal generic rejection letter via email a few days after applying. Even if they fly you out for an interview....if they go in a different direction you'll get the same bland generic auto generated rejection email from their HR department. No explanation, no nothing. In my opinion this is horribly unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Garmin is very take it or leave it. They don't negotiate.