Garmin

Updated Nov 30, 2014
Updated Nov 30, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

smooth process, the basic HR questions. ask some questions about your resume and almost questions you could find in the website. And there are many videos in the website about these kind of questions. you could find them in the youtube. The answers are already in the website

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Garmin.

Two short interviews in person. One was a technical interview based mainly on resume projects and how you approached them, details on how you implemented something, what you would have done differently, etc. The second interview was with HR and was behavioral, with questions about what you enjoy doing, what kind of person you are, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to follow strict regulations and how you adapted your work style to meet these regulations.   Answer Question

I didn't like the location of the internship.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

First talked to an HR person, mostly about my previous technical experience/projects from school, work, or internships. I was invited to an on-site interview where two hiring managers conducted the interview. The interview was mostly (95%) technical. It consisted of about 45 minutes of problem solving (like in a test). The problems were mostly circuits and electronics based (know your op-amps and filters). They wanted to make sure I know my basics and the way I think and solve problems. After the "test" there was some time for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • Question involving digital to analog design.   View Answer

Offer was good and Garmin is an amazing company, but I have decided to accept another offer. Very hard decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

The hiring process was very simple. I met up with a representative at a career fair at my school and then applied online. About a week later, I got an email to set up a phone interview. After that phone interview, I got another email to set up an onsite interview. Unfortunately, I was unable to go to the onsite interview, so it was done over Skype with a panel of people from Garmin. They asked a few behavioral questions and a few technical questions. All said, it was fairly easy and actually quite enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    I probably was able to negotiate, but chose not to.

Software Engineer Interview

Very smooth process, good HR and kind, knowledgeable senior members that interview. Interview was fairly long but very enjoyable, talked with 2 different people about past experience + what to get out of garmin. A lot of conceptual coding questions, a bit of algorithmic coding questions. Overall very smooth, good experience, great company, great office, great work environment

Interview Questions
    • What are the premium differences between java and c and why might you use c over an object oriented language   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

I applied online. I heard back within the week and scheduled a 45 minute phone interview. I did not realize how technical phone interview was, and was not prepared for the questions, so they did not continue the process. The interview began with very basic questions, but moved into more complex questions about object oriented programming and C++. If I were to do it over, I would have reviewed different terms related to C++.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in March 2012.

Got called by a recruiter. Got a phone screen. They flew me to Olathe and I was interviewed by 4 groups. At the time the money the recruiter was quoting me was not what I would have wanted but I needed a job so I went through the process. I'm going to say that one of the best things that ever happened to my career was not getting an offer there. About 3 weeks later I got an offer that was 50% higher than what I would have accepted there. The company that made the offer was not only a much larger company, one that is truly on the leading edge of technology but also a company that treats it's employees fanstastically.

I answered their technical questions correctly. However, one of the developers who interviewed me was openly hostile to me. He grilled me about polymorphism in C++ and I patiently explained to him about base classes, virtual functions, function signatures, and overriding methods. Even though my explanation was correct he wrote in his comments that I was confused. He took a completely hostile approach from the gitgo with his opening comments. He may or may not work there any longer but he probably does. The amusing part about this is that I have my doubts that they really write a lot of code in C++.

Also there was a form for reimbursement of incidental expenses. I filed the form but I never received a cent.

My impression of the software development teams was that they are competent but probably lack decent leadership which means that there are probably not as productive as they could be. Of course some of the groups that I interviewed with have probably cut back (like consumer electronics), not sure about the OEM (car infotainment work), and some are probably doing well like the marine equipment and avionics.

I think one should expect less pay than industry norms when working there. I would put them in the average category. Some interesting work perhaps but a fair amount of incompetance in managing resources.

They also asked me to bring a sample of my code. They never asked to look at it in the five hours I was there. Today, git might be something they use now to review your code samples.

Interview Questions
    • They had do a logic puzzle. It wasn't hard and I think the interview though it would take me awhile but I did it in about 3 minutes.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Garmin.

I gave them my resume at school career fair. They contacted me after a few weeks to fill out the online application and schedule for a phone interview. The interview took half an hour. They just basically went through my resume and asked some questions related to my school work.

Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Garmin.

Let me first say that getting hired on at Garmin happens by complete luck. Their application/interview process is horrible, rude and unprofessional.

I originally applied for other positions within the company but was rejected in all cases. Eventually i applied as a replenishment associate because I had 10+ years experience in all fields they were interested in. The interview process consisted of a phone interview where behavioral questions are the norm. If you pass this screening you get an onsite interview that typically involves meeting with the HR recruiter. If the recruiter likes you then you'll meet with the hiring manager.

If you don't meet or exceed all of their expected AND desired qualifications don't even bother applying. You'll get an informal generic rejection letter via email a few days after applying. Even if they fly you out for an interview....if they go in a different direction you'll get the same bland generic auto generated rejection email from their HR department. No explanation, no nothing. In my opinion this is horribly unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Garmin is very take it or leave it. They don't negotiate.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in September 2014.

Met a recruiter at University career fair. Gave them my resume and got a call that night asking if I wanted to come in for an interview in a couple of days. I had one on campus interview with both recruiters that was about an hour long. Got an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Played Mastermind with the interviewer. Very easy. Wasted one line but I noticed it instantly and told the interviewer. Got a somewhat lucky first guess and had a very quick solution.   Answer Question