Garmin Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin in February 2015.

Got a call after applying. I mentioned my expectation salary and sponsorship for immigration status while submitting the application. I got a call from HR and we discussed everything before the onsite interview. Since they agreed with my requirements if I qualify the interview, i accepted the onsite interview request of Garmin.

The interview went good, I thought I would get the offer as they asked me for references. Here's the issue with Garmin:
    they said I got through the technical interview, but due to approval process, they didn't offer me a job for 2 main reason
    1. salary, which they didn't give me an offer nor I negotiated.
    2. Sponsorship.
     they based the decision on the two things which I specified earlier in my application, which essentially has to be checked before giving me an interview call.

A suggestion for you guys out of my experience
    if you are in Kansas or thinking to be in Kansas city. Helath care industry company is a great company, my present employer, they pay you good than Garmin. If you think you are good at technical stuff apply for Health care company-(you now it), instead applying for Garmin.

Interview Questions
    • HR questions were simple
      1. Why are you looking for a new job?
      2. What's in the company that inspires you to work for

Technical
      1. Questions from my previous project code repositories (primary key, Unique constraint, is it needed. best practices while making DB connection calls)
      2. Java Pass by value example question

View Answer

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in February 2015.

This was a phone Interview about work history, job preferences, and behaivor questions. The recruiter asked the normal screening questions about employment and citizenship. Then she asked more about me and what my expectations and goals were. Then she asked about my experiences in supply chain and a problem I encountered in my job.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of work environment do you prefer?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a supply chain management project that you haved worked on?   View Answer

Operations Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

First interview over the phone. Mostly behavioral question about what you would do in certain situations. Also asked a few demographic questions. The interview wasn't very difficult. Whole interview was about 30 minutes.

Lobby Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in February 2015.

I found the job posting for Lobby Receptionist through Google and Garmin's website. I received an email from their recruiter at the main headquarters in Kansas five days later to schedule a phone interview the next week. The phone interview lasted 28 minutes and I was told the Front Desk Manager would be making a decision to further the process within the next few days. I then received a call later on in the day from the manager. My on site interview was scheduled for a week later in a meeting room with the Front Desk Manager and the Front Desk Supervisor. Both were very professional and friendly, the interview questions came off as the company wanting a Lobby Receptionist that fit the initial description exactly. This on site interview lasted 35 minutes and I was informed a final decision would be reached in a couple of weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you were given instructions that you misunderstood and what was the outcome of the situation?   Answer Question
    • What type of manager do you like to work for?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe a time when you utilized your organizational skills?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in February 2015.

The interview process was handled professionally and with great proficiency. Non of the questions were an effort at eluding or suprising you. Know basics of c, and information about embedded systems as well as microprocessors. The first interview is an attempt to become familiar with you over the phone, while the second is an on site interview that is more technically rigorous. Again, know your c languages and you should do relatively well.

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2013.

Efficient interview process - did have to wait for the offer, though. Drug test was easy enough. For the in-person interview, I was able to sit and shadow an employee to get a feel for the position. The person that hired me is no longer with the company.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Garmin.

This interview was following a career fair at a university. At the career fair they were very friendly. I was called the same day later that evening for an interview. The next day I was interviewed by 3 engineers who asked technical questions, and 1 HR person who asked behavioral questions. The technical and behavioral questions were asked separately in my case but I think they are usually asked consecutively.

Interview Questions
    • Write a short program that prints out the first 5 primes. ( In Java)   Answer Question
    • Explain polymorphism in Java.   Answer Question
    • What is a difference between a struct and a java class?   Answer Question
    • Was also asked "solve this problem" type question. Where the scenario was: there are 4 items such as A, B, C, D and they all need to cross the bridge to the other side. It is dark and there is only one flashlight around. Constraints are: A takes 1 second to cross, B = 3, C=5, and D=10. 2 letters/items must cross at a time because they need to use the flashlight, and it must be carried back an forth. Find the least expensive path.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

Phone screen by HR, technical phone interview by person in group. On site interview with any interested groups, pretty standard. Very smart people, and know what they are looking for in a candidate, which is refreshing. More interested in your background and abilities than ability to solve (memorize solutions to) mind melting puzzles.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly background information from the resume. Each round had 2 technical questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

Submitted resume at on campus career fair, phone interview (behavior/background only) a couple weeks later. Was asked to come for on-site technical interview. Met with several members from different teams at the same time for the technical interview. Was asked a couple technical questions, asked to code on the whiteboard for one problem, and asked behavioral question. Interview was about 1 hr.

Interview Questions
    • One main coding technical question: write a function that will print out Pascal's triangle. Also asked me simple questions on hex and bits   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

Applied on line to an ad posted on Carrerbuilder. Com. It took about 3 months. Had basically three interviews. One phone, one on-site with HR and the production manager. Also had a meeting with the production supervisors. A pretty extensive interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What is one of your strengths?   Answer Question