Garmin

Relevance Date Difficulty

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
Kansas City, KS

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2013.

Interview Details – Job application began with an online job advertisement. It led to a phone interview with an HR representative.

During the phone interview I was drilled about my resume (line by line in the "experience" section). I was asked about "PCB design experience" for each different job*, though I stated in first five minutes of the interview that I had none in my standard coursework. (However, I worked with PCB assembly for an entire summer.)

The interview had zero behavioral questions and was exclusively based on technical experience. Worse yet, the HR representative had no design knowledge to ascertain the quality of my answers. (I had to explain to her what an inductor does at one point.) Each statement I made was followed by notes being taken. No real conversation was possible.

Towards the end of the interview, I was assured that Garmin valued my time and told they looked for the "most technical candidates" only. If they liked my profile, I would be called on-site for a technical interview with an engineer.

I wasn't called back, but I did receive an impersonal rejection email three weeks later. I've since been rejected without communication from several other positions, all of which my credentials met some or all requirements.

*My summers during college went as follows: summer class and a PCB assembly job, summer class, and a volunteer leadership role at a life skills program for college students. I'm now a senior who will graduate from a difficult Electrical Engineering program (possibly cum laude) in only four years. My representative responded, "No internship. Interesting..."

Interview Question – What is the most difficult design challenge you've ever faced, and how did you overcome it?   View Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Garmin in January 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted a resume and received a call within 3 days and was thrilled. Had a 30 minute phone interview that was difficult to gauge HR representatives reactions as there were gaps in the conversation. Admittedly, I was not prepared for an interview as I had not been in the job market for quite some time.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – I met with recruiters at a campus career fair. Was contacted about 2 weeks later for a phone interview. The phone interview was with a recruiter, and she was really nice. Only one really easy technical vocab question.

Onsite, I had two interviews with Software Engineers. About half technical, half behavioral. Technical stuff was pretty easy, mostly pointing out errors in code or explaining what code did. At no point did I have to write any code of my own.

Interview Question – I played mastermind with one interviewer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – I was called for a phone interview,the HR woman rushed through the interview in 15 mins. Not very nice, not a good use of time. If they are excited about your experience they'll give you the time of day, if you don't come in with mad experience or mad skills don't bother. She would ask the same questions over again.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult analog circuit you've ever worked on?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2013.

Interview Details – Talked to a recruiter at the University career fair. Then had a phone interview mainly focused on my resume and past projects. From there I was brought onsite for two technical interviews with their engineers.

Interview Question – Calculate a moving average that considers the last N values. Then discuss handle incoming data. Consider time and memory complexity.   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview that was mostly consisted of behavioral questions. Got flown out to headquarters and had two 45 minute interviews consisting of behavioral and technical questions. Technical questions included probability, whiteboard coding, and fundamental CS concepts. The interviews were not too bad and everybody was really nice and friendly.

Interview Question – What is a pointer to a pointer and give an example of when it would be used.   Answer Question

Dead Reckoning Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – 1. Online application
2. A recruiter emailed regarding setting up initial phone interview. Sample questions she asked me:

When was the first time i heard about the GPS and how?
Why Garmin?
About my research area: advantages and disadvantages of GPS and INS
My skill set for C/C++ on a level of 1-10
After initial phone interview, I was asked to go through technical interview:

IMU error modelling questions (allan variance, turn-on-to turn on bias etc)
IMU measurements mechanization question: attitude update equation, position update etc
diff between classes and structures, mutex and semaphore, big endian and small endian etc.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Terre Haute, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2012.

Interview Details – They recruited at my college job fair. I got an on-campus interview the next day. The interview consisted of both behavioral and technical parts. I felt like I struggled slightly with the technical questions. 2 weeks later they offered me the internship. I had to accept in another 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Mostly basic object oriented questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Aviation Systems/Software Engineer Interview

Aviation Systems/Software Engineer
Salem, OR

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Garmin in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied and got a phone call about 3 weeks later. Scheduled a phone interview for the next week. I heard back from them with the next week by email.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. The interview was just gathering basic information about knowledge in different languages.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Software Engineer I
Chanhassen, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got contacted for a phone screening, then a Skype interview, followed by an on-site. The whole process took about 3 weeks. Smooth process with not much stress placed on the interviewee.

Interview Question – Design a chat server.   Answer Question