Garmin Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.8

Lobby Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Chandler, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

I found the job posting for Lobby Receptionist through Google and Garmin's website. I received an email from their recruiter at the main headquarters in Kansas five days later to schedule a phone interview the next week. The phone interview lasted 28 minutes and I was told the Front Desk Manager would be making a decision to further the process within the next few days. I then received a call later on in the day from the manager. My on site interview was scheduled for a week later in a meeting room with the Front Desk Manager and the Front Desk Supervisor. Both were very professional and friendly, the interview questions came off as the company wanting a Lobby Receptionist that fit the initial description exactly. This on site interview lasted 35 minutes and I was informed a final decision would be reached in a couple of weeks.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were given instructions that you misunderstood and what was the outcome of the situation?   Answer Question
    • What type of manager do you like to work for?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe a time when you utilized your organizational skills?   Answer Question

Cartography Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

First interview was done over the phone, and they asked basic questions about background and interests. Second interview done in Olathe. The second interview involved a three part process the first part was observing someone holding the position you are applying for and getting a idea of daily operations. The second part involved demonstrating what you learned that day, while the last part was the actual interview the the department head.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

This was a phone Interview about work history, job preferences, and behaivor questions. The recruiter asked the normal screening questions about employment and citizenship. Then she asked more about me and what my expectations and goals were. Then she asked about my experiences in supply chain and a problem I encountered in my job.

Interview Questions

• What kind of work environment do you prefer?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a supply chain management project that you haved worked on?   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

Got a call after applying. I mentioned my expectation salary and sponsorship for immigration status while submitting the application. I got a call from HR and we discussed everything before the onsite interview. Since they agreed with my requirements if I qualify the interview, i accepted the onsite interview request of Garmin.

The interview went good, I thought I would get the offer as they asked me for references. Here's the issue with Garmin:
    they said I got through the technical interview, but due to approval process, they didn't offer me a job for 2 main reason
    1. salary, which they didn't give me an offer nor I negotiated.
    2. Sponsorship.
     they based the decision on the two things which I specified earlier in my application, which essentially has to be checked before giving me an interview call.

A suggestion for you guys out of my experience
    if you are in Kansas or thinking to be in Kansas city. Helath care industry company is a great company, my present employer, they pay you good than Garmin. If you think you are good at technical stuff apply for Health care company-(you now it), instead applying for Garmin.

Interview Questions

• HR questions were simple
      1. Why are you looking for a new job?
      2. What's in the company that inspires you to work for

Technical
      1. Questions from my previous project code repositories (primary key, Unique constraint, is it needed. best practices while making DB connection calls)
      2. Java Pass by value example question

1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Interview was 2 part. The first part was a getting to know you phone interview, that assessed your knowledge of the company, your interests, anything that was on your resume, pretty standard interview. An in person interview was scheduled for a week later. The in person interview was more technically focused. There was a lot of discussion about previous projects, embedded systems, and more about the company itself. A programming assignment was given with 3 problems. They were all written in C. The first problem was a program the draws an exponential function on a Cartesian plane. There is a semicolon after the for loop that causes the function to run incorrectly. You are asked to explain what the program does, find the problem, then explain what it actually does with the added semicolon. The next two assignments are adding programs. An array is values is to be added. In the first problem the variable "int total" is not instantiated to 0, so it will have a crazy value. In the second instance pointers are used for the program. In the for loop where total would be incremented the pointer "p" was not dereferenced with an "*"

Interview Questions

• The question over the pointer is tricky, many young developers (including myself) have difficultly understanding and using pointers effectively.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Garmin in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with HR rep.

There was some discussion about my background and resume, but it didn't seem like the interviewer had the background for a technical discussion.

Interview Questions

• There were a number of by the book generic interview questions; like, 'tell me how solved a difficult problem'. And why I was interested in working for the company.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got an email from hr to setup an interview, interviewed with another person for about an hour. Interviewer was very polite and professional but was a bit too direct about other companies I was interviewing with and desired salary. It made it seem like they care more about how cheaply they can get a new hire rather than their quality. The interviewer promised an offer or rejection within two weeks and actually delivered it (unfortunately this seems less common than it should be).

Interview Questions

• Basics about coursework and past projects, particular interest in c++ and embedded systems.
      Where else have you applied and who do you have offers with? <-- bad question
      How much is your desired salary for this role? <-- interview seemed great until this question, I did not ask for any more than the average for interns and was willing to negotiate, but interview turned sour after my answer.

Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Two short interviews in person. One was a technical interview based mainly on resume projects and how you approached them, details on how you implemented something, what you would have done differently, etc. The second interview was with HR and was behavioral, with questions about what you enjoy doing, what kind of person you are, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to follow strict regulations and how you adapted your work style to meet these regulations.   Answer Question

I didn't like the location of the internship.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Chandler, AZ) in December 2014.

Interview

Screening interview from the recruiter followed by an in-person panel interview, facility tour, and quick 1-on-1 with HR. In this case, they were interviewing several candidates during the day so we bumped into each other at the transition points.

Interview Questions

• They showed you some sample code and asked you to explain how it works.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very smooth process, good HR and kind, knowledgeable senior members that interview. Interview was fairly long but very enjoyable, talked with 2 different people about past experience + what to get out of garmin. A lot of conceptual coding questions, a bit of algorithmic coding questions. Overall very smooth, good experience, great company, great office, great work environment

Interview Questions

• What are the premium differences between java and c and why might you use c over an object oriented language   Answer Question