Garmin

Updated Nov 30, 2014

2.8

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

First talked to an HR person, mostly about my previous technical experience/projects from school, work, or internships. I was invited to an on-site interview where two hiring managers conducted the interview. The interview was mostly (95%) technical. It consisted of about 45 minutes of problem solving (like in a test). The problems were mostly circuits and electronics based (know your op-amps and filters). They wanted to make sure I know my basics and the way I think and solve problems. After the "test" there was some time for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • Question involving digital to analog design.   View Answer

Offer was good and Garmin is an amazing company, but I have decided to accept another offer. Very hard decision.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in September 2014.

Met a recruiter at University career fair. Gave them my resume and got a call that night asking if I wanted to come in for an interview in a couple of days. I had one on campus interview with both recruiters that was about an hour long. Got an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Played Mastermind with the interviewer. Very easy. Wasted one line but I noticed it instantly and told the interviewer. Got a somewhat lucky first guess and had a very quick solution.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

The phone interview was mostly technical. The questions that I was asked have already been posted. I will be interviewing in person. I will tell more when I'm completely done with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I would say most of the questions have already been posted.   Answer Question

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin in July 2014.

I didn't hear from Garmin about their interest in me until about a month and a half after I applied. After that I had a phone interview which was 30 min and very relaxed, the interviewer asked about my resume and a time I had to walk a customer through a trouble shooting experience. That was Thursday, I didn't get a call to set up an in person interview until the next Monday. The on-site interview hour and a half long with three different people, two managers and an HR rep, after that they had me tour the facilities and then sit in on a few calls with one of their employees.

Interview Questions
    • How are you technically minded?
      Where do see yourself in 5 years?
      Talk about an experience where you walked the customer through a technical experience.
      What do you do when the customer holds a very hostile attitude towards you?

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Applied online had initial phone interview a few days later then never heard from them again. Emailed the recruiter and HR person just to see if position had been filled or if I was not being considered ...not even a courtesy response

Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Garmin in June 2014.

I was contacted by HR about three weeks after I applied for the job. We set up the HR interview for the following week. The time came and past. Three hours after it was supposed to happen, I emailed HR to ask if I misunderstood the time of the meeting. They told me the interview did not populate on their calendar and asked to set up another conversation. After, what I thought, a successful basic HR phone interview, I was told I would receive an email the following week informing me wether I made it to the next phase or not. It has been 6 weeks, three email followups and two voicemail inquiries--nothing.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was just a guided tour of what was on my resume. Nothing outrageous or alarming.   Answer Question

Internet Applications Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview through invitation. One HR round, One technical round. Both has easy standard questions based on what you have on resume. Technical questions on technologies listed. Some open ended discussion on design patterns and framework

Not much negotiation

Embedded Linux Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Garmin.

past the HR screening very easily,then scheduled phone interview next week, started at 8 am, which is very early,i wasn't fully awake at that moment,and i didn't perform very well,so i didn't get the job . but i think overal the interview wasn't very hard,a software engineer probably can get all the answers right

Interview Questions
    • my position was mainly focused on navigation systems, so i did pretty good on them but they also want you to have a very high software skills, at that time i wasn't good enough.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in April 2014.

Smooth process. I was contacted by HR and the hiring manager. HR call was non technical, and the Hiring manager called me in for a fact to face interview which was very technical

Interview Questions
    • Several questions were somewhat difficult, but not unusually so. The most difficult one involved developing an efficient sort algorithm for a specific data structure.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan, KS

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in April 2014.

Originally applied through website for the intern position at their Manhattan Kansas office (Kansas State University has a program with Garmin working out of one of KSU's research facilities). I was contacted about a week and a half later requesting times I would be available to speak with a recruiter. The overhead recruiter and I scheduled a time for the following week to conduct a one hour phone interview with a university recruiting person. The recruiter called me about an hour before the interview asking to reschedule to a later date because her daughter got sick and in turn, got her sick too. It was no big deal for me, as I applied for the position almost 5 months before it would have started so there was definitely no rush.

We rescheduled the interview to be the following Friday (now four weeks since applying). The first interview was purely asking about items that were on my resume, basic questions regarding how much I knew about the structure and content of the Kansas State version of the Software Internship (it is a in-school position, part time, in parallel with schoolwork during the fall and spring). The first interview went very well and taught me a lot about the opportunities I would have as an in school intern. This was definitely a non technical, "tell me about yourself" interview. At the end of the discussion, my recruiter wanted to set me up right away to meet with the head of the Manhattan area coordinator and advisor to conduct a more technical interview. Due to the previous delays for sickness and the rush to get things done before the school year was over, she penciled me in for the following Monday.

The technical interview seemed almost as informal as the first one for the most part. In my first interview, I was instructed to bring examples of projects I had done myself, or things that had been developed in concordance with a team to highlight my abilities as a programmer and to demonstrate my aptitude for learning code. My technical interviewer seemed surprised that I had brought him projects to demonstrate (an iOS app I had built on my own and a rebuild of the 1980's Pac-Man). He seemed really interested in the projects I had shown, which definitely relaxed the environment of the generally more stressful technical interview.

Most of my experience in coding has been in high class languages (object oriented) like Java, C#, and Objective-C, so when I was handed code in regular C, I got really worried. Surprisingly, the coding questions he asked seemed almost like a joke. The first was a simple method that added numbers together in two different ways and I was asked to find why the code was outputting the wrong answer. The answers were fairly straight forward (a semicolon after a for loop statement but before the brackets enclosing the contents of the for loop). However, some questions were more difficult. Coming from higher languages to be run on computers, questions about memory conservation and processing speed were not my forte. My interviewer allowed me to ask questions about anything in the code to allow me to work through a solution based on how he was answering my questions. For instance, I wasn't totally familiar with pointers in C, so when it came time to debug code containing pointers, he answered my questions willingly so I could form a conclusion, which was a great way to keep my from getting discouraged for not recognizing an error right away, but also demonstrated my ability to problem solve. He seemed very impressed to see that I was still able to work through to correct answers without a detailed knowledge of the C language directly.

I received a call about 3 days later from the recruiter from the first interviewer describing my offer, and even offering me a position during the summer before the fall when I was supposed to start, if I was interested. It was a fun process and a little nerve racking at times while I waited for calls back, but the people were awesome and really got me excited about the environment I would be in and the opportunities I would have as a Garmin intern.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of questions on memory issues in C. Since Garmin works with a lot of small embedded systems, it would be a good idea to have a strong knowledge of lower level languages and tricks to coding in a low memory, low processing power environment.

For instance, examining a section of code and listing each step you could take to save memory.

View Answer
    I had very limited experience in comparison to other applicants so I was initially going to request less than their offer, so there was not much need to negotiate. I would recommend understanding the average pay for the position you are applying to and evaluate your experience compared to who else may be applying. If you probably have way more experience, ask for the high end of the curve.