Garmin

136 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Diamond Bar, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – The first phone interview was a simple screening and gave me a chance to establish some expectations regarding the job and compensation.
The second phone interview was with the would-be manager. He is very knowledgeable and asked decent questions that allowed me to demonstrate my knowledge of software programming.
The final interview was on-site with the manager and another developer. They showed me to a room, gave me a set of programming objectives, and sat me down in front of a laptop. This is probably the best and most effective way to demonstrate me knowledge of programming. I was comfortable the entire time and really enjoyed the task they gave me. Roughly after half an hour they came back in and put my code up on a projector where we then proceeded to discuss what i had concocted. We discussed my design pattern and the finer details like initialization list, constants, threads and memory management.

Overall it was a very positive process and the team there must be a talented bunch. The technical recruiter is also very responsive and made the whole thing run smoothly.

Interview Question – What is the difference between Windows CE/Embedded and a regular Windows OS?
What is the difference between a mutex and a semaphore?
How would you use the keyword mutable (C++)?
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted a competing offer. Pay was slightly below market.

OEM Software Developer Intern Interview

Chandler, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Garmin in February 2013.

Interview Details – The environment there is pretty nice and pleasant. I was kind of nervous since that was my first interview ever. After talking with the recipient for a while, everything began to go smooth. An OEM manager interviewed me. We firstly talked about project experience on my resume. Then he asked me something about my understanding on OO programming. Then some basic technical questions about string and classes.

Interview Question – Convert a string of number from ASCII to int   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in February 2012.

Interview Details – Had initial phone screen interview, it was almost what everybody said here in glass door. Then had an onsite interview with Garmin fitness and Aviation. Fitness interview was very easy asked behavioral questions and a C program to do factorial of a number. Aviation interview was relatively hard with a puzzle and I had to explain a program which they had it in a piece of paper.

Interview Question – The puzzle was most difficult, I can't even remember what it was all about. I felt no one could answer it   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Chandler, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – The initial hiring process was very quick and straight to the point. The questions that were asked were behavioral: Why are you looking to change companies? What programming languages do you have experience with?

Interview Question – During the in person interview I was asked a low level programming question. Write a program to parse a 32 bit number and show LSB and MSB?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in December 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Contacted a few weeks later by HR for initial screen. Scheduled for an on-site interview a few weeks after that. On-site interview was very short (2 hours total) compared to my previous experience interviewing at tech companies. Apparently they are expanding in NC and had lots of interviews stacked up.

Interview Question – Something about writing code to print the third-to-last item in a linked list. Really simple, CS101 type stuff in most cases, but you have to know pointers and data structures.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was too low relative to my current pay/benefits, and they wouldn't negotiate more than a token amount.

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Olathe, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in December 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume on a University career network. After applying they set me up with a phone interview. It was mostly technical questions, many of them operating system related. A week or two later they contacted me and wanted me to come in for a tour and interviews. This was basically 5 interviews with 5 different teams, all mostly technical in nature again. Lots of "write me a piece of code that does this" type of questions. Took them about 2 months to tell me I didn't get the job even though they said they'd contact me within the week. They move very quickly when they want you and disappear when they don't. On the nice side they pay all expenses for the trip, you fill out an expense report just aas you would if you were traveling on the job.

Interview Question – There were a few questions regarding bit shifts, which I have no experience with. Find the least significant bit in a number.   Answer Question

Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – First contact at a job fair, where I was told to apply online for an internship. After posting my resume, I was contacted about an on-site interview in Olathe, which was entirely paid for. The interview consisted of an HR portion followed by a technical session. I was offered the internship after two or three weeks. A full time position was offered at the end of the internship.

Chanhassen, MN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Garmin in January 2013.

Interview Details – Found the position through CareerBuilder before it was posted on their site. Applied and got the phone interview. Received an email 2 days later informing that I had gotten the Skype technical interview. It didn't work out, unfortunately, but it was good experience as I graduate this May and begin my job hunt.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a Hashmap and a Treemap?   Answer Question

Internet Applications Developer Interview

Internet Applications Developer
Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Garmin in June 2009.

Interview Details – The recruiter was very very slow and unorganised, she has left the company since so maybe its better now. Took 2 months to receive interview call and 1 month to get an offer. Interview was pretty basic with standard Java questions, nothing too tricky.

Interview Question – Design patterns - singleton.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not possible. Recruiter just mentioned my expected salary I had asked for.

Olathe, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in December 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter, had about an hour long "personality" type screening. Why do you want to work for Garmin, tell me about a time you ... , that type of thing. Was then contacted to travel for a paid on-site interview. I had 2 interviews, one with Aviation and one with Map Tech, the aviation was two people, map tech one. Generic type questions, be sure to be familiar with C, pointers, bit shifting, unsigned ints, that sort of thing.

Interview Question – Tell me what this code does. Simply did pointer manipulation on a string to iterate over the string and count the occurrences of each character   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Garmin