Garmin

Getting the Interview

61 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

North Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2012.

Interview Details – After filling out an application online, I was contacted by an HR Generalist. The conversation was very pleasant. It was at least for questions in the behavioral situations. After the initial questions, I was told I would be considered for an on-site interview with the HR generalist.

Interview Question – nothing too difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Product Support Specialist
Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in June 2010.

Interview Details – The HR were lenient and so willing to listen and offer the job to the right candidate

Interview Question – Mostly Behavioral in nature   Answer Question

Product Support Specialist
Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in January 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then a in person interview at the call center.

Interview Question – All behavioral and experience based questions. Not very difficult. Describe what you consider to be a outstanding customer service experience?   View Answer

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
Kansas City, KS

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2013.

Interview Details – Job application began with an online job advertisement. It led to a phone interview with an HR representative.

During the phone interview I was drilled about my resume (line by line in the "experience" section). I was asked about "PCB design experience" for each different job*, though I stated in first five minutes of the interview that I had none in my standard coursework. (However, I worked with PCB assembly for an entire summer.)

The interview had zero behavioral questions and was exclusively based on technical experience. Worse yet, the HR representative had no design knowledge to ascertain the quality of my answers. (I had to explain to her what an inductor does at one point.) Each statement I made was followed by notes being taken. No real conversation was possible.

Towards the end of the interview, I was assured that Garmin valued my time and told they looked for the "most technical candidates" only. If they liked my profile, I would be called on-site for a technical interview with an engineer.

I wasn't called back, but I did receive an impersonal rejection email three weeks later. I've since been rejected without communication from several other positions, all of which my credentials met some or all requirements.

*My summers during college went as follows: summer class and a PCB assembly job, summer class, and a volunteer leadership role at a life skills program for college students. I'm now a senior who will graduate from a difficult Electrical Engineering program (possibly cum laude) in only four years. My representative responded, "No internship. Interesting..."

Interview Question – What is the most difficult design challenge you've ever faced, and how did you overcome it?   View Answer

Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2013.

Interview Details – Talked to a recruiter at the University career fair. Then had a phone interview mainly focused on my resume and past projects. From there I was brought onsite for two technical interviews with their engineers.

Interview Question – Calculate a moving average that considers the last N values. Then discuss handle incoming data. Consider time and memory complexity.   View Answer

Olathe, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Garmin in September 2010.

Interview Details – I met a recuiter at a job fair, I gave her a copy of my resume and spent a few minutes speaking with her. She then called me in for an interview within the next two days. The interview was easy, just general questions. There was and HR rep (her) and a manager there. After the interview I got a call and offer the next day.

Interview Question – The questions were all easy, mostly things about past experiences when I used trouble shooting skills and how I helped customers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. I took the offer as is.

Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Garmin in September 2012.

Interview Details – 30 min HR interview followed up with a 30 min test

Interview Question – They have you look at code and tell them what it does and what you could do to make the code more efficient.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I love the company very much but Kansas isn't my type of place.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – Invited me to they're campus. Interviewed with two software engineers. Gave me a tour of the building after the interview.

Interview Question – Questions about c programming. Nothing too difficult, I was just in inexperienced at the time.   Answer Question

Aviation Software Engineer I Interview

Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in March 2013.

Interview Details – Standard process, started with HR phone interview then a technical phone interview with manager of aviation department. After that they flew me out for a site visit and interview with two aviation managers. In person interview went well with standard personality questions during first half and then several snippets of C code being shown to me on paper and I was asked to explain what one did and to optomize and clean up the other. Both managers were very nice and professional during the interview as well as everyone else I encountered during the visit to Garmin. I was also asked to bring a printed example of some of my previous code but never had to use it or explain it during the interview.

Interview Question – Technical questions surprised me during the first HR interview because I was only expecting easy behavioral or educational type questions so be prepared for some technical stuff like function overloading, overriding and mutex/semaphore explanations.   Answer Question

Product Architect Interview

Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in February 2013.

Interview Details – A job database sent an email suggesting the job as a good fit. Despite having written to Garmin in the past (and hearing nothing in reply), I sent in a resume expecting to hear nothing back. I did get a call and the folks I spoke to over several calls seemed pleasant. I went out for an interview in Feb 2013.

The interview questions were largely technical, about database search algorithms that I'm not familiar with and specifics of the implementation of the standard C compilers. The tools I use every day are specific to other weird processors and the managers I interviewed with didn't seem to care that I don't use the same tools they do.

One interview was with the fellow who runs the innovation group. In preparation for meeting with him, I had jotted down several ideas that I thought would be reasonable enhancements to Garmin's line - some handheld, some automotive and some marine improvements. I filed Provisional Patent Applications (PPA) on them before traveling. That conversation went well, or so I thought.

The flight back was cancelled due to weather problems on the east coast. Shortly after getting back, I heard that I had been denied a job I hadn't applied for. Then I heard about the one I did apply for. Also no.

Garmin agreed to pay the extra expenses and it's now May and I still haven't seen a check.

I have since licensed two of the design suggestions to Garmin's competitors and I'll be curious to see whether Garmin "thinks of them on their own" or not.

The biggest concern I had was Garmin's managers jokingly referring to themselves as a "cult". It seemed rather cultish when I toured and it was disturbing to hear comments about the "cult" or "you never have to leave the building" and "you'll like our family better than your own". I knew during the tour & interview that I couldn't work there, so being turned down wasn't a problem for me.

Interview Question – Difference between "stack" and "heap"?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Garmin

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Garmin interview questions and advice in Kansas City, MO. All 61 interview reviews posted anonymously by Garmin employees and interview candidates.