Garmin

Average Difficulty
66 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in July 2014.

Interview Details – I didn't hear from Garmin about their interest in me until about a month and a half after I applied. After that I had a phone interview which was 30 min and very relaxed, the interviewer asked about my resume and a time I had to walk a customer through a trouble shooting experience. That was Thursday, I didn't get a call to set up an in person interview until the next Monday. The on-site interview hour and a half long with three different people, two managers and an HR rep, after that they had me tour the facilities and then sit in on a few calls with one of their employees.

Interview Question – How are you technically minded?
Where do see yourself in 5 years?
Talk about an experience where you walked the customer through a technical experience.
What do you do when the customer holds a very hostile attitude towards you?
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Content Specialist Interview

Content Specialist
Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Garmin in June 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR about three weeks after I applied for the job. We set up the HR interview for the following week. The time came and past. Three hours after it was supposed to happen, I emailed HR to ask if I misunderstood the time of the meeting. They told me the interview did not populate on their calendar and asked to set up another conversation. After, what I thought, a successful basic HR phone interview, I was told I would receive an email the following week informing me wether I made it to the next phase or not. It has been 6 weeks, three email followups and two voicemail inquiries--nothing.

Interview Question – The interview was just a guided tour of what was on my resume. Nothing outrageous or alarming.   Answer Question

Customer Care Interview

Customer Care
Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in June 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and within a few days I heard back from the hiring manager. We setup an interview. I went to the North KC call center for the interview. It was held in a conference room. I was greeted by the HR recruiter as well as a technical support supervisor. The questions were pretty straight forward. Spoke about previous jobs and what I did there. They asked a few questions about times I have troubleshooted someone's problems. At the end of the interview I was not hired for the original position I was applying for but for a Customer Service position which I accepted.

Interview Question – N/A - the questions were pretty straight forward. They will ask about times you have troubleshooted, be very detailed. They will ask about your customer service experience as well as technical support experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Olathe, KS

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in January 2013.

Interview Details – Initial hiring process is started by filling an application through their online system. Even at job fairs at college and such, that's how it works. If your resume attracts attention, and they don't lose you in their paperwork (as happened to me the first time) then you get a phone interview. Having a friend on the inside to speak on your behalf can cut the change of being overlooked, since their HR hiring people are scatterbrained. If you pass the phone interview, then you are invited to Garmin for a tour, and a series of interviews with the departments looking for new hires. They ask you to bring code you have written for them to review, but only 2 out of the 10 or so people I interviewed with actually looked at it. If the general consensus among those you interview with is good, then you are offered a job. You get to choose preferences for department, and as far as I can tell, you get the most preferred department that also wanted you.

Interview Question – The in-person interviews at Garmin that follow the phone interview are done by engineers, and the interviews are very technical. Keep in mind that most of Garmin deals mostly in C, and plan for a technical interview accordingly. The hardest questions was probably about the minimum number of bits required to encode information about a street in a GPS system (including speed limit as a multiple of 5, up to a certain limit, and several other bits of info they give you).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They did not seem open to negotiation, but mine was an interview for an entry-level position, so that may have affected it.

Production Coordinator Interview

Production Coordinator
Olathe, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in July 2013.

Interview Details – Good hiring process, included peer interviews and hiring manager interviews

Interview Question – Where do you think you'll be professionally in 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

North Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2012.

Interview Details – After filling out an application online, I was contacted by an HR Generalist. The conversation was very pleasant. It was at least for questions in the behavioral situations. After the initial questions, I was told I would be considered for an on-site interview with the HR generalist.

Interview Question – nothing too difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Olathe, KS

Interview Details – The HR were lenient and so willing to listen and offer the job to the right candidate

Interview Question – Mostly Behavioral in nature   Answer Question

Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in January 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then a in person interview at the call center.

Interview Question – All behavioral and experience based questions. Not very difficult. Describe what you consider to be a outstanding customer service experience?   View Answer

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
Kansas City, KS

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2013.

Interview Details – Job application began with an online job advertisement. It led to a phone interview with an HR representative.

During the phone interview I was drilled about my resume (line by line in the "experience" section). I was asked about "PCB design experience" for each different job*, though I stated in first five minutes of the interview that I had none in my standard coursework. (However, I worked with PCB assembly for an entire summer.)

The interview had zero behavioral questions and was exclusively based on technical experience. Worse yet, the HR representative had no design knowledge to ascertain the quality of my answers. (I had to explain to her what an inductor does at one point.) Each statement I made was followed by notes being taken. No real conversation was possible.

Towards the end of the interview, I was assured that Garmin valued my time and told they looked for the "most technical candidates" only. If they liked my profile, I would be called on-site for a technical interview with an engineer.

I wasn't called back, but I did receive an impersonal rejection email three weeks later. I've since been rejected without communication from several other positions, all of which my credentials met some or all requirements.

*My summers during college went as follows: summer class and a PCB assembly job, summer class, and a volunteer leadership role at a life skills program for college students. I'm now a senior who will graduate from a difficult Electrical Engineering program (possibly cum laude) in only four years. My representative responded, "No internship. Interesting..."

Interview Question – What is the most difficult design challenge you've ever faced, and how did you overcome it?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2013.

Interview Details – Talked to a recruiter at the University career fair. Then had a phone interview mainly focused on my resume and past projects. From there I was brought onsite for two technical interviews with their engineers.

Interview Question – Calculate a moving average that considers the last N values. Then discuss handle incoming data. Consider time and memory complexity.   View Answer

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!