Garmin

Garmin Software Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Met with recruiter at university career fair. Had thirty minute general interview the next morning with a thirty minute technical interview immediately after. General interview was fairly straightforward. Interviewer asked about previous internship job and what I would like to do at Garmin. Technical interview was also straightforward with little trickery.

Interview Questions
  • Asked to describe what a sample of C code was doing and how it could be optimized.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin in November 2014.

Met with HR Recruiter during a campus visit. E-mailed me within a week to schedule a phone interview which took place the next week.

Phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and was mostly behavioral (Describe projects you've worked on, most favorite and least favorite classes, etc.) along with one technical question. Received an e-mail exactly one week later inviting me for an on-site interview.

On-site interview consisted of a initial meeting with HR, two technical interviews, lunch tour, and then one more technical interview. The technical interviews were with three different groups, two from aviation and one from outdoor. I brought one of my school projects along with me and was very enthusiastic about showing it to them, and in the aviation interviews we even spent more than half the time talking about it. Other questions given to me were basic Operating Systems and C coding questions.

Received a call two weeks later (there was a holiday weekend in there somewhere) with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • -Count the number of set bits in an integer
      -Find all odd values in the array and make them even (array and array length are arguments)
      --(Follow up) How would you do the previous question without a for loop?
      -Describe the purpose of a Semaphore
      -Describe how multi-threading works

Answer Question
    They were very open to negotiations and I was able to get the offer raised by about 6%.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin in November 2013.

Very profession, although the interview was excessively technical. You can judge a person's expertie and abilities with much fewer techincal questions. I would prefer a shorter interview with all divisions of the company rather than 4 interviews that all resembled one another.

Interview Questions
    • How would you aggregate a set of data while discarding outliers?   Answer Question
    Accommodating and they acted as though they needed me in the company.

Anonymous Employee in Diamond Bar, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Diamond Bar, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Garmin.

It's about a two hour interview. You get a combination of technical and behavioral questions. There is a half hour programming exercise which you then review with the interviewer. After that you're given a brain teaser question.

Interview Questions
    • Brain teaser: most buckets filled with infinite number of balls that weigh 1 gram, but one bucket has balls that weigh 2 grams. How do you find the bucket that has the 2 gram balls with only one weigh in? Follow up after you solve it, is what if there are two buckets with 2 gram balls?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Garmin.

First contact at a job fair, where I was told to apply online for an internship. After posting my resume, I was contacted about an on-site interview in Olathe, which was entirely paid for. The interview consisted of an HR portion followed by a technical session. I was offered the internship after two or three weeks. A full time position was offered at the end of the internship.

Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Garmin in January 2013.

Found the position through CareerBuilder before it was posted on their site. Applied and got the phone interview. Received an email 2 days later informing that I had gotten the Skype technical interview. It didn't work out, unfortunately, but it was good experience as I graduate this May and begin my job hunt.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between a Hashmap and a Treemap?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin in December 2012.

Contacted by recruiter, had about an hour long "personality" type screening. Why do you want to work for Garmin, tell me about a time you ... , that type of thing. Was then contacted to travel for a paid on-site interview. I had 2 interviews, one with Aviation and one with Map Tech, the aviation was two people, map tech one. Generic type questions, be sure to be familiar with C, pointers, bit shifting, unsigned ints, that sort of thing.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what this code does. Simply did pointer manipulation on a string to iterate over the string and count the occurrences of each character   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in November 2012.

One phone interview with HR. This was basic resume questions/tell me about yourself. About a week later was a technical interview via Skype.

Interview Questions
    • There were questions about data structures (linked lists, etc) that I was not confident with at the time as I have an analog background. I imagine they would be easy for anyone with more experience in that area.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2012.

Had an on campus interview and then was invited to Olathe for an on site interview. Was there with about 40 other people interviewing for internship or full time positions from colleges all over the mid-west to the east coast. The onsite interview was a tour around the campus followed by two hour long technical interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How would you traverse a binary tree without recursion?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chanhassen, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chanhassen, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in April 2012.

Applied online. Got contacted for a phone screening, then a Skype interview, followed by an on-site. The whole process took about 3 weeks. Smooth process with not much stress placed on the interviewee.