Garmin

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chanhassen, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got contacted for a phone screening, then a Skype interview, followed by an on-site. The whole process took about 3 weeks. Smooth process with not much stress placed on the interviewee.

Interview Question – Design a chat server.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in November 2012.

Interview Details – One phone interview with HR. This was basic resume questions/tell me about yourself. About a week later was a technical interview via Skype.

Interview Question – There were questions about data structures (linked lists, etc) that I was not confident with at the time as I have an analog background. I imagine they would be easy for anyone with more experience in that area.   Answer Question

Diamond Bar, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – It's about a two hour interview. You get a combination of technical and behavioral questions. There is a half hour programming exercise which you then review with the interviewer. After that you're given a brain teaser question.

Interview Question – Brain teaser: most buckets filled with infinite number of balls that weigh 1 gram, but one bucket has balls that weigh 2 grams. How do you find the bucket that has the 2 gram balls with only one weigh in? Follow up after you solve it, is what if there are two buckets with 2 gram balls?   View Answer

Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – First contact at a job fair, where I was told to apply online for an internship. After posting my resume, I was contacted about an on-site interview in Olathe, which was entirely paid for. The interview consisted of an HR portion followed by a technical session. I was offered the internship after two or three weeks. A full time position was offered at the end of the internship.

Chanhassen, MN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Garmin in January 2013.

Interview Details – Found the position through CareerBuilder before it was posted on their site. Applied and got the phone interview. Received an email 2 days later informing that I had gotten the Skype technical interview. It didn't work out, unfortunately, but it was good experience as I graduate this May and begin my job hunt.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a Hashmap and a Treemap?   Answer Question

Olathe, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in December 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter, had about an hour long "personality" type screening. Why do you want to work for Garmin, tell me about a time you ... , that type of thing. Was then contacted to travel for a paid on-site interview. I had 2 interviews, one with Aviation and one with Map Tech, the aviation was two people, map tech one. Generic type questions, be sure to be familiar with C, pointers, bit shifting, unsigned ints, that sort of thing.

Interview Question – Tell me what this code does. Simply did pointer manipulation on a string to iterate over the string and count the occurrences of each character   Answer Question

Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2012.

Interview Details – Had an on campus interview and then was invited to Olathe for an on site interview. Was there with about 40 other people interviewing for internship or full time positions from colleges all over the mid-west to the east coast. The onsite interview was a tour around the campus followed by two hour long technical interviews.

Interview Question – How would you traverse a binary tree without recursion?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Garmin

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Garmin Software Engineer I interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Garmin employees and interview candidates.