Garmin

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – 1 phone HR talk + 1 technical phone interview. onsite 1 HR and 3 technical interviews.

Negotiation Details – none

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
Olathe, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Garmin in November 2008.

Interview Details – I interviewed in college back during their heyday along with 70 other people. Hiring has died down quite a bit so I'm not sure what the current process is like.

I interviewed with 6 people. 5 engineers (mostly hiring managers) and 1 HR person. Before that I did an interview on campus.

The HR person asked typical questions and I flubbed on the "What is your greatest weakness?" one. The engineers asked questions related to their sub-section of the company. Specific examples of past work was the most useful thing I brought to the interview.

Interview Question – Honestly, the standard HR questions were the most difficult but least important at the time. The technical questions were related to technologies that the hiring engineer was working with. It was more about engaging them in a technical conversation than answering a question accurately.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Garmin lowballs everyone. As an undergrad you have virtually no negotiating power. I left and came back to the company with strong support from my immediate boss and his boss. Even with that, they asked me if I was serious about taking the job when I asked for $65k (their initial offer was $60k). They settled at 62k with a 3k sign on bonus.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Garmin

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Garmin Software Engineer II interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Garmin employees and interview candidates.