Garmin Software Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

Got a call after applying. I mentioned my expectation salary and sponsorship for immigration status while submitting the application. I got a call from HR and we discussed everything before the onsite interview. Since they agreed with my requirements if I qualify the interview, i accepted the onsite interview request of Garmin.

The interview went good, I thought I would get the offer as they asked me for references. Here's the issue with Garmin:
they said I got through the technical interview, but due to approval process, they didn't offer me a job for 2 main reason
1. salary, which they didn't give me an offer nor I negotiated.
2. Sponsorship.
 they based the decision on the two things which I specified earlier in my application, which essentially has to be checked before giving me an interview call.

A suggestion for you guys out of my experience
if you are in Kansas or thinking to be in Kansas city. Helath care industry company is a great company, my present employer, they pay you good than Garmin. If you think you are good at technical stuff apply for Health care company-(you now it), instead applying for Garmin.

Interview Questions

• HR questions were simple
    1. Why are you looking for a new job?
    2. What's in the company that inspires you to work for

Technical
    1. Questions from my previous project code repositories (primary key, Unique constraint, is it needed. best practices while making DB connection calls)
    2. Java Pass by value example question

1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

1 phone HR talk + 1 technical phone interview. onsite 1 HR and 3 technical interviews.

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in November 2008.

Interview

I interviewed in college back during their heyday along with 70 other people. Hiring has died down quite a bit so I'm not sure what the current process is like.

I interviewed with 6 people. 5 engineers (mostly hiring managers) and 1 HR person. Before that I did an interview on campus.

The HR person asked typical questions and I flubbed on the "What is your greatest weakness?" one. The engineers asked questions related to their sub-section of the company. Specific examples of past work was the most useful thing I brought to the interview.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, the standard HR questions were the most difficult but least important at the time. The technical questions were related to technologies that the hiring engineer was working with. It was more about engaging them in a technical conversation than answering a question accurately.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Garmin lowballs everyone. As an undergrad you have virtually no negotiating power. I left and came back to the company with strong support from my immediate boss and his boss. Even with that, they asked me if I was serious about taking the job when I asked for $65k (their initial offer was $60k). They settled at 62k with a 3k sign on bonus.