Garmin

Garmin Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

2.4

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan, KS

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in April 2014.

Originally applied through website for the intern position at their Manhattan Kansas office (Kansas State University has a program with Garmin working out of one of KSU's research facilities). I was contacted about a week and a half later requesting times I would be available to speak with a recruiter. The overhead recruiter and I scheduled a time for the following week to conduct a one hour phone interview with a university recruiting person. The recruiter called me about an hour before the interview asking to reschedule to a later date because her daughter got sick and in turn, got her sick too. It was no big deal for me, as I applied for the position almost 5 months before it would have started so there was definitely no rush.

We rescheduled the interview to be the following Friday (now four weeks since applying). The first interview was purely asking about items that were on my resume, basic questions regarding how much I knew about the structure and content of the Kansas State version of the Software Internship (it is a in-school position, part time, in parallel with schoolwork during the fall and spring). The first interview went very well and taught me a lot about the opportunities I would have as an in school intern. This was definitely a non technical, "tell me about yourself" interview. At the end of the discussion, my recruiter wanted to set me up right away to meet with the head of the Manhattan area coordinator and advisor to conduct a more technical interview. Due to the previous delays for sickness and the rush to get things done before the school year was over, she penciled me in for the following Monday.

The technical interview seemed almost as informal as the first one for the most part. In my first interview, I was instructed to bring examples of projects I had done myself, or things that had been developed in concordance with a team to highlight my abilities as a programmer and to demonstrate my aptitude for learning code. My technical interviewer seemed surprised that I had brought him projects to demonstrate (an iOS app I had built on my own and a rebuild of the 1980's Pac-Man). He seemed really interested in the projects I had shown, which definitely relaxed the environment of the generally more stressful technical interview.

Most of my experience in coding has been in high class languages (object oriented) like Java, C#, and Objective-C, so when I was handed code in regular C, I got really worried. Surprisingly, the coding questions he asked seemed almost like a joke. The first was a simple method that added numbers together in two different ways and I was asked to find why the code was outputting the wrong answer. The answers were fairly straight forward (a semicolon after a for loop statement but before the brackets enclosing the contents of the for loop). However, some questions were more difficult. Coming from higher languages to be run on computers, questions about memory conservation and processing speed were not my forte. My interviewer allowed me to ask questions about anything in the code to allow me to work through a solution based on how he was answering my questions. For instance, I wasn't totally familiar with pointers in C, so when it came time to debug code containing pointers, he answered my questions willingly so I could form a conclusion, which was a great way to keep my from getting discouraged for not recognizing an error right away, but also demonstrated my ability to problem solve. He seemed very impressed to see that I was still able to work through to correct answers without a detailed knowledge of the C language directly.

I received a call about 3 days later from the recruiter from the first interviewer describing my offer, and even offering me a position during the summer before the fall when I was supposed to start, if I was interested. It was a fun process and a little nerve racking at times while I waited for calls back, but the people were awesome and really got me excited about the environment I would be in and the opportunities I would have as a Garmin intern.

Interview Questions
  • Lots of questions on memory issues in C. Since Garmin works with a lot of small embedded systems, it would be a good idea to have a strong knowledge of lower level languages and tricks to coding in a low memory, low processing power environment.

For instance, examining a section of code and listing each step you could take to save memory.
      View Answer
I had very limited experience in comparison to other applicants so I was initially going to request less than their offer, so there was not much need to negotiate. I would recommend understanding the average pay for the position you are applying to and evaluate your experience compared to who else may be applying. If you probably have way more experience, ask for the high end of the curve.

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Phone interview with HR person followed by on site interview with engineers. Mostly C related questions. Also asked several questions about project experience, how I would deal with problems etc. Was impressed with the company but received better offers from other companies. Asked to look at code on a piece of paper and explain what it did.

Interview Questions

Better offer from another company

Software Engineer Intern Interview

First, a phone interview was conducted where personality and basic technical questions were asked, such as something like "how would you build a chess game?" After, I was contacted a few days later and I was asked to travel to Olathe for an interview and that my travel and stay would be funded. They put me in a La Quinta hotel, it was alright, but my experience was not the best. Interview started the next day, I arrived about 15 minutes early and waited for my recruiter. She asked some personal questions and whatnot, then we went on to the technical interview. Three senior designers drilled me with some questions, and then it was on to a complementary lunch. People seemed to be somewhat casually dressed, but everyone clearly took themselves seriously.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions about some "definitions" of C++ constructs, ask a few questions about programming related experience on your resume and want you to demonstrate it (such as SQL) and they wanted to make sure you knew about things like inheritance and everything.   Answer Question

All in all, I didn't care for the work culture there. People weren't smiling, but they were relaxed at least. Other places I've interviewed at seemed much warmer and open.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

I met with recruiters at a campus career fair. Was contacted about 2 weeks later for a phone interview. The phone interview was with a recruiter, and she was really nice. Only one really easy technical vocab question.

Onsite, I had two interviews with Software Engineers. About half technical, half behavioral. Technical stuff was pretty easy, mostly pointing out errors in code or explaining what code did. At no point did I have to write any code of my own.

No negotiation

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Had a phone interview that was mostly consisted of behavioral questions. Got flown out to headquarters and had two 45 minute interviews consisting of behavioral and technical questions. Technical questions included probability, whiteboard coding, and fundamental CS concepts. The interviews were not too bad and everybody was really nice and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What is a pointer to a pointer and give an example of when it would be used.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

I met with two individuals, one from Marine and one from Aviation. They asked me to go through a sheet of code and answer questions about it and correct it. I also had to talk about my classes and projects I had worked on.

Interview Questions
    • I had to solve problems about a slot machine and determine the probabilities of spinning particular combinations.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in August 2013.

Met with them at a career fair, and had two interviews. First was a phone interview with HQ, second was an in person interview where I will be working. Things moved very quickly (1 week from application to first interview, few days between two interviews, 2 days til offer). Everyone was very nice and things moved very smoothly. First interview was just about resume. What I had done at my jobs, projects I liked, classes I was in. A couple technical questions were asked about overriding. Second interview was more technical with a few of the same jobs/projects questions. Had a couple of broken code samples, was asked what they would do, to fix them, and then again what they would do. Overall pretty easy.

Interview Questions
    • Here is a code sample, there are a couple of errors in it. What are they, and what will they do when you fix them? Are there any ways to optimize it? Etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Terre Haute, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Terre Haute, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2012.

They recruited at my college job fair. I got an on-campus interview the next day. The interview consisted of both behavioral and technical parts. I felt like I struggled slightly with the technical questions. 2 weeks later they offered me the internship. I had to accept in another 2 weeks.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Garmin in September 2012.

Interviewed with 2 groups - Marine and Aviation. First was with one guy, then two. Each went through a lot of questions about my experience/studies, then went onto more technical questions. The also asked a lot about what I would like to be doing, which looking back I probably was too specific about. They want people to do low-level machine code/C, and I felt more comfortable with high-level Java/C#. I had experience with low-level, just not as much.

Interview Questions
    • What is a pointer? Make a pointer and point it to a specific memory location. (marine)   Answer Question
    • Problem areas in a piece of code involving threading. He had a piece of paper with a big of code on it, discuss where the problems exist and how to resolve them. Stuff like "critical section". (marine)   Answer Question
    • Had a piece of paper with some code on it that would print a line, you had to describe the line, then point out problems with the code and how to make it better. There was a error in the for loop where it ended with a semicolon (like for (......); ) that was just to see if you were paying attention. They also wanted you to point out to make it more efficient (replace the calls to power()) and to conserve memory. (aviation)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Garmin.

I spoke with a recruiter at my campus career fair. They called me later that night to schedule an interview for the day after. It was a bit short notice and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I thought the interview would be very technical but they only asked me questions about my resume and simple behavioral questions. I got an offer 3 days after the interview. In all it was a very quick experience and not at all what I expected it to be.