Garmin Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

Phone screen by HR, technical phone interview by person in group. On site interview with any interested groups, pretty standard. Very smart people, and know what they are looking for in a candidate, which is refreshing. More interested in your background and abilities than ability to solve (memorize solutions to) mind melting puzzles.

Interview Questions
  • Mostly background information from the resume. Each round had 2 technical questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview was 2 part. The first part was a getting to know you phone interview, that assessed your knowledge of the company, your interests, anything that was on your resume, pretty standard interview. An in person interview was scheduled for a week later. The in person interview was more technically focused. There was a lot of discussion about previous projects, embedded systems, and more about the company itself. A programming assignment was given with 3 problems. They were all written in C. The first problem was a program the draws an exponential function on a Cartesian plane. There is a semicolon after the for loop that causes the function to run incorrectly. You are asked to explain what the program does, find the problem, then explain what it actually does with the added semicolon. The next two assignments are adding programs. An array is values is to be added. In the first problem the variable "int total" is not instantiated to 0, so it will have a crazy value. In the second instance pointers are used for the program. In the for loop where total would be incremented the pointer "p" was not dereferenced with an "*"

Interview Questions
    • The question over the pointer is tricky, many young developers (including myself) have difficultly understanding and using pointers effectively.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in December 2014.

Applied online and got an email from hr to setup an interview, interviewed with another person for about an hour. Interviewer was very polite and professional but was a bit too direct about other companies I was interviewing with and desired salary. It made it seem like they care more about how cheaply they can get a new hire rather than their quality. The interviewer promised an offer or rejection within two weeks and actually delivered it (unfortunately this seems less common than it should be).

Interview Questions
    • Basics about coursework and past projects, particular interest in c++ and embedded systems.
      Where else have you applied and who do you have offers with? <-- bad question
      How much is your desired salary for this role? <-- interview seemed great until this question, I did not ask for any more than the average for interns and was willing to negotiate, but interview turned sour after my answer.

Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Garmin.

Two short interviews in person. One was a technical interview based mainly on resume projects and how you approached them, details on how you implemented something, what you would have done differently, etc. The second interview was with HR and was behavioral, with questions about what you enjoy doing, what kind of person you are, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to follow strict regulations and how you adapted your work style to meet these regulations.   Answer Question

I didn't like the location of the internship.

Software Engineer Interview

Very smooth process, good HR and kind, knowledgeable senior members that interview. Interview was fairly long but very enjoyable, talked with 2 different people about past experience + what to get out of garmin. A lot of conceptual coding questions, a bit of algorithmic coding questions. Overall very smooth, good experience, great company, great office, great work environment

Interview Questions
    • What are the premium differences between java and c and why might you use c over an object oriented language   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

I applied online. I heard back within the week and scheduled a 45 minute phone interview. I did not realize how technical phone interview was, and was not prepared for the questions, so they did not continue the process. The interview began with very basic questions, but moved into more complex questions about object oriented programming and C++. If I were to do it over, I would have reviewed different terms related to C++.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Applied through a career fair. I was contacted by a recruiter and completed two initial interviews that were mostly behavioral. (Times you worked on a team? A situation where you didn't know how to solve a problem... how did you solve it? etc) Then I completed a technical interview. The technical interview involved them asking about my experiences, general questions about programming, then going to the board for a few problems.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

The hiring process was very simple. I met up with a representative at a career fair at my school and then applied online. About a week later, I got an email to set up a phone interview. After that phone interview, I got another email to set up an onsite interview. Unfortunately, I was unable to go to the onsite interview, so it was done over Skype with a panel of people from Garmin. They asked a few behavioral questions and a few technical questions. All said, it was fairly easy and actually quite enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    I probably was able to negotiate, but chose not to.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

The phone interview was mostly technical. The questions that I was asked have already been posted. I will be interviewing in person. I will tell more when I'm completely done with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I would say most of the questions have already been posted.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Applied online had initial phone interview a few days later then never heard from them again. Emailed the recruiter and HR person just to see if position had been filled or if I was not being considered ...not even a courtesy response