Garmin

Updated Nov 30, 2014

2.9

51 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Randomly contacted by phone after a recruiter found my resume in a jobs database. 2 interviews, both by phone. One with the recruiter as a pre screen, then one with 2 engineers in the office. Everyone was very nice.

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Software Engineer Interview

Initially contacted by recruiter, exchanged multiple emails, had 2 phone interviews that seemed to be checking to see if I was indeed a human. After that all contact was cut off and I could not get a hold of my HR contact.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was that difficult, standard "interview questions"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Garmin.

Applied online and was contacted for part time job.

Interview Questions
    • 50% was behavior and the other 50% was about the programming with C++ and data structures.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

The phone interview was mostly technical. The questions that I was asked have already been posted. I will be interviewing in person. I will tell more when I'm completely done with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I would say most of the questions have already been posted.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in March 2012.

Got called by a recruiter. Got a phone screen. They flew me to Olathe and I was interviewed by 4 groups. At the time the money the recruiter was quoting me was not what I would have wanted but I needed a job so I went through the process. I'm going to say that one of the best things that ever happened to my career was not getting an offer there. About 3 weeks later I got an offer that was 50% higher than what I would have accepted there. The company that made the offer was not only a much larger company, one that is truly on the leading edge of technology but also a company that treats it's employees fanstastically.

I answered their technical questions correctly. However, one of the developers who interviewed me was openly hostile to me. He grilled me about polymorphism in C++ and I patiently explained to him about base classes, virtual functions, function signatures, and overriding methods. Even though my explanation was correct he wrote in his comments that I was confused. He took a completely hostile approach from the gitgo with his opening comments. He may or may not work there any longer but he probably does. The amusing part about this is that I have my doubts that they really write a lot of code in C++.

Also there was a form for reimbursement of incidental expenses. I filed the form but I never received a cent.

My impression of the software development teams was that they are competent but probably lack decent leadership which means that there are probably not as productive as they could be. Of course some of the groups that I interviewed with have probably cut back (like consumer electronics), not sure about the OEM (car infotainment work), and some are probably doing well like the marine equipment and avionics.

I think one should expect less pay than industry norms when working there. I would put them in the average category. Some interesting work perhaps but a fair amount of incompetance in managing resources.

They also asked me to bring a sample of my code. They never asked to look at it in the five hours I was there. Today, git might be something they use now to review your code samples.

Interview Questions
    • They had do a logic puzzle. It wasn't hard and I think the interview though it would take me awhile but I did it in about 3 minutes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Applied online had initial phone interview a few days later then never heard from them again. Emailed the recruiter and HR person just to see if position had been filled or if I was not being considered ...not even a courtesy response

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in March 2014.

They sent me an email asking for a transcript and a phone interview with an HR person. The interview was supposed to be between half an hour to an hour.

Interview Questions
    • There were no technical questions - just standard interview questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

The process took a dayinterviewed at Garmin in February 2012.

Did a phone interview, they then flew me in to Olathe for an in-person interview. Met with HR first, had lunch with another engineer, and then 2 interviews with 2 different groups [1 person for one group, 2 for the other].

Questions asked were computer science 101 level and led me to believe they were hiring for a junior or intern, not a senior or principal. This may have explained the interviewers I encountered as several didn't seem to be too senior in their knowledge areas. They also have no formal development methodology, no project management standards, etc. This was my take after a 4 or 5 hour interview that could have easily been done over the phone or skype.

Interview Questions

Although the organization is successful, I felt the engineers and project managers I met were not on top of their game. Also, lunch in the lunch room reminded me of a funeral-- not a happy soul in sight. Compensation was far below industry, benefits were mediocre, personal work environments appeared very (!!!!) cramped and congested. Limited opportunity for personal and professional growth were my take from this interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Garmin in September 2009.

one phone interview with the recruiter, Just general hr questions. Onsite interview was all programming questions. Had interview with 3 team leaders.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in July 2011.

To start off, I am a fresh college graduate (B.S.) in computer science and this was my first corporate interview ever. I simply applied on their website and was contacted in about a week.
        I received a call from HR to kick off the process. It was about 1 hour long and mostly non-technical. A few simple technical questions like 'What is function overloading? overriding? What is a semaphore?', etc. but that was it. The usual questions were more like 'Describe your resume experiences. What is your favorite programming language?' etc. After that I was contacted in a few business days (less than a week) for an on site interview scheduled for 2 weeks later. They flew me in and paid for the rental car and hotel. The on site interview was actually a mini-interview to start, 4 1-hour interviews, and a free lunch intermission tour of the campus and offices. The mini-interview was just a recap of the previous HR interview with an HR representative. Then I had a 1:1 interview where I was asked to solve a problem with the interviewer. Given a general Image View that can zoom, pan, scroll, etc. write an algorithm that can determine the absolute image coordinates of a user click even if they have zoomed in and/or scrolled. It was an interesting problem and I had a semi-working solution by the time the interview was over. Then I had a panel interview with 1 project manager and 2 team leaders. This was more laid back. We talked about the research I did in college and my opinions about different programming languages. The third interview was 1:1 and it was half technical. First I talked about major projects and challenges I had worked on and then the second half was rapid fire questions about C and a little object oriented stuff. Questions like: 'Write a routine to do an in order traversal of a binary tree (then do it without recursion). How would you set only 1 bit in a 32 bit value. What is the difference between big and little endian? Here are some common data structures, where would you normally see them and why? Explain negative runtime impacts caused by inheritance.' Then there was a free lunch tour with a regular employee. After that was my last 1:1 interview. There was a quick discussion and then all technical questions. I had teaching assistant experience on my resume and the interviewer asked me to teach him what a semaphore was. Then he showed me some C code and asked me what was wrong with it. Then finally he gave me a problem to solve in less than 10 minutes. The problem was to shuffle a deck of cards. I barely got a solution down that I explained while I was writing it. He was happy that I even finished a solution even though it was hideously inefficient. He was the only interviewer to ask me to see the self coding example that I was told to bring.
        The interviewers were all pleasant and willing to work with me when I stumbled through some of the questions. There were a few tricky ones that I definitely was not able to answer right off the top of my head. One last note for what it's worth, all of my interviewers were white males with an average age probably in the mid to late twenties though there were a couple in their late thirties for sure. Overall the interviews were pretty simple and not very stressful.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine a screen space that can scroll and zoom in on an image, translate any user click from coordinates in the screen space to absolute coordinates in the image.   Answer Question
    • Write a routine to do an in order traversal of a binary tree. Now do it without using recursion.   Answer Question
    • What are some negative runtime impacts of inheritance?   Answer Question
    • Retrieve the third byte of a 4 byte integer. How would you do it differently if the architecture was big-endian? little-endian?   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate a higher starting salary and they were not very receptive to it at all. I was ignored for about a week and when I was finally contacted (after leaving a few messages to different people) I was simply told that they wanted to keep a consistent hiring salary and that none of my team leaders wanted to compromise on that. That said, I did receive a higher salary offer than I expected and I am happy with it.