Garmin

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at Garmin

Interview Details – Randomly contacted by phone after a recruiter found my resume in a jobs database. 2 interviews, both by phone. One with the recruiter as a pre screen, then one with 2 engineers in the office. Everyone was very nice.

Interview Question – How much do you expect to make at this job?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Garmin

Interview Details – Initially contacted by recruiter, exchanged multiple emails, had 2 phone interviews that seemed to be checking to see if I was indeed a human. After that all contact was cut off and I could not get a hold of my HR contact.

Interview Question – Nothing was that difficult, standard "interview questions"   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied in-person and interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted for part time job.

Interview Question – 50% was behavior and the other 50% was about the programming with C++ and data structures.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in March 2014.

Interview Details – They sent me an email asking for a transcript and a phone interview with an HR person. The interview was supposed to be between half an hour to an hour.

Interview Question – There were no technical questions - just standard interview questions   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

The process took a day - interviewed at Garmin in February 2012.

Interview Details – Did a phone interview, they then flew me in to Olathe for an in-person interview. Met with HR first, had lunch with another engineer, and then 2 interviews with 2 different groups [1 person for one group, 2 for the other].

Questions asked were computer science 101 level and led me to believe they were hiring for a junior or intern, not a senior or principal. This may have explained the interviewers I encountered as several didn't seem to be too senior in their knowledge areas. They also have no formal development methodology, no project management standards, etc. This was my take after a 4 or 5 hour interview that could have easily been done over the phone or skype.

Interview Question – Flip a bit in a uint32 using C.   View Answers (3)

Reason for Declining – Although the organization is successful, I felt the engineers and project managers I met were not on top of their game. Also, lunch in the lunch room reminded me of a funeral-- not a happy soul in sight. Compensation was far below industry, benefits were mediocre, personal work environments appeared very (!!!!) cramped and congested. Limited opportunity for personal and professional growth were my take from this interview.

Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Garmin in September 2009.

Interview Details – one phone interview with the recruiter, Just general hr questions. Onsite interview was all programming questions. Had interview with 3 team leaders.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details – Applied online had initial phone interview a few days later then never heard from them again. Emailed the recruiter and HR person just to see if position had been filled or if I was not being considered ...not even a courtesy response

Interview Question – General HR questions   Answer Question

Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in July 2011.

Interview Details – To start off, I am a fresh college graduate (B.S.) in computer science and this was my first corporate interview ever. I simply applied on their website and was contacted in about a week.
    I received a call from HR to kick off the process. It was about 1 hour long and mostly non-technical. A few simple technical questions like 'What is function overloading? overriding? What is a semaphore?', etc. but that was it. The usual questions were more like 'Describe your resume experiences. What is your favorite programming language?' etc. After that I was contacted in a few business days (less than a week) for an on site interview scheduled for 2 weeks later. They flew me in and paid for the rental car and hotel. The on site interview was actually a mini-interview to start, 4 1-hour interviews, and a free lunch intermission tour of the campus and offices. The mini-interview was just a recap of the previous HR interview with an HR representative. Then I had a 1:1 interview where I was asked to solve a problem with the interviewer. Given a general Image View that can zoom, pan, scroll, etc. write an algorithm that can determine the absolute image coordinates of a user click even if they have zoomed in and/or scrolled. It was an interesting problem and I had a semi-working solution by the time the interview was over. Then I had a panel interview with 1 project manager and 2 team leaders. This was more laid back. We talked about the research I did in college and my opinions about different programming languages. The third interview was 1:1 and it was half technical. First I talked about major projects and challenges I had worked on and then the second half was rapid fire questions about C and a little object oriented stuff. Questions like: 'Write a routine to do an in order traversal of a binary tree (then do it without recursion). How would you set only 1 bit in a 32 bit value. What is the difference between big and little endian? Here are some common data structures, where would you normally see them and why? Explain negative runtime impacts caused by inheritance.' Then there was a free lunch tour with a regular employee. After that was my last 1:1 interview. There was a quick discussion and then all technical questions. I had teaching assistant experience on my resume and the interviewer asked me to teach him what a semaphore was. Then he showed me some C code and asked me what was wrong with it. Then finally he gave me a problem to solve in less than 10 minutes. The problem was to shuffle a deck of cards. I barely got a solution down that I explained while I was writing it. He was happy that I even finished a solution even though it was hideously inefficient. He was the only interviewer to ask me to see the self coding example that I was told to bring.
    The interviewers were all pleasant and willing to work with me when I stumbled through some of the questions. There were a few tricky ones that I definitely was not able to answer right off the top of my head. One last note for what it's worth, all of my interviewers were white males with an average age probably in the mid to late twenties though there were a couple in their late thirties for sure. Overall the interviews were pretty simple and not very stressful.

Interview Questions

• Imagine a screen space that can scroll and zoom in on an image, translate any user click from coordinates in the screen space to absolute coordinates in the image.   Answer Question
  • Write a routine to do an in order traversal of a binary tree. Now do it without using recursion.   Answer Question
  • What are some negative runtime impacts of inheritance?   Answer Question
  • Retrieve the third byte of a 4 byte integer. How would you do it differently if the architecture was big-endian? little-endian?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate a higher starting salary and they were not very receptive to it at all. I was ignored for about a week and when I was finally contacted (after leaving a few messages to different people) I was simply told that they wanted to keep a consistent hiring salary and that none of my team leaders wanted to compromise on that. That said, I did receive a higher salary offer than I expected and I am happy with it.

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Garmin in February 2009.

Interview Details – lots of resume based questions,
on programming skills
general data structure and OS conncepts
basic string and bits operation
HR related questions
a lot!!

Interview Question – not very difficult   Answer Question

Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied for a position in California through the Garmin website, was denied a position but invited to apply at their headquarters in Olathe, KS. Received an initial HR phone interview which was very basic and nothing to worry about. Mainly just normal resume review and a few basic technical questions (What is function overloading, what is a semaphore, a mutex).

A few days later I was invited to interview on-site. After a coupe weeks I flew there and interviewed with four different groups, primarily one-on-one. The interviews were not difficult, most of them starting with the manager describing their department and myself describing my background. Then we went into technical questions that were not at all challenging. I was able to solve the questions fairly quickly which left a decent amount of time at the tail end of the interview to ask some more specific questions of each interviewer as we waited for the next manager to arrive.

Interview Questions

• Given an integer, write a function that returns the number of bits in the integer that are set.   View Answers (2)
  • Two people are walking down a tunnel, they are 1/3 of the way through the tunnel when they hear a train behind them. One of the people runs back towards the entry where they started and exits the tunnel just as the train is entering. The second person runs towards the exit where they were heading and exits just as the train is exiting the tunnel.

Relative to the people how fast is the train moving and how far away was the train when they heard it?
      View Answer

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!