Garmin Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2014

2.9

44 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Initially contacted by recruiter, exchanged multiple emails, had 2 phone interviews that seemed to be checking to see if I was indeed a human. After that all contact was cut off and I could not get a hold of my HR contact.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing was that difficult, standard "interview questions"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Garmin.

The phone interview was mostly technical. The questions that I was asked have already been posted. I will be interviewing in person. I will tell more when I'm completely done with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I would say most of the questions have already been posted.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Garmin.

Applied online and was contacted for part time job.

Interview Questions
    • 50% was behavior and the other 50% was about the programming with C++ and data structures.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Randomly contacted by phone after a recruiter found my resume in a jobs database. 2 interviews, both by phone. One with the recruiter as a pre screen, then one with 2 engineers in the office. Everyone was very nice.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin.

Applied online had initial phone interview a few days later then never heard from them again. Emailed the recruiter and HR person just to see if position had been filled or if I was not being considered ...not even a courtesy response

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in March 2014.

They sent me an email asking for a transcript and a phone interview with an HR person. The interview was supposed to be between half an hour to an hour.

Interview Questions
    • There were no technical questions - just standard interview questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

The process took a day - interviewed at Garmin in February 2012.

Did a phone interview, they then flew me in to Olathe for an in-person interview. Met with HR first, had lunch with another engineer, and then 2 interviews with 2 different groups [1 person for one group, 2 for the other].

Questions asked were computer science 101 level and led me to believe they were hiring for a junior or intern, not a senior or principal. This may have explained the interviewers I encountered as several didn't seem to be too senior in their knowledge areas. They also have no formal development methodology, no project management standards, etc. This was my take after a 4 or 5 hour interview that could have easily been done over the phone or skype.

Interview Questions

Although the organization is successful, I felt the engineers and project managers I met were not on top of their game. Also, lunch in the lunch room reminded me of a funeral-- not a happy soul in sight. Compensation was far below industry, benefits were mediocre, personal work environments appeared very (!!!!) cramped and congested. Limited opportunity for personal and professional growth were my take from this interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Olathe, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Garmin in September 2009.

one phone interview with the recruiter, Just general hr questions. Onsite interview was all programming questions. Had interview with 3 team leaders.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Garmin in February 2009.

lots of resume based questions,
    on programming skills
    general data structure and OS conncepts
    basic string and bits operation
    HR related questions
    a lot!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Olathe, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in November 2012.

Applied for a position in California through the Garmin website, was denied a position but invited to apply at their headquarters in Olathe, KS. Received an initial HR phone interview which was very basic and nothing to worry about. Mainly just normal resume review and a few basic technical questions (What is function overloading, what is a semaphore, a mutex).

A few days later I was invited to interview on-site. After a coupe weeks I flew there and interviewed with four different groups, primarily one-on-one. The interviews were not difficult, most of them starting with the manager describing their department and myself describing my background. Then we went into technical questions that were not at all challenging. I was able to solve the questions fairly quickly which left a decent amount of time at the tail end of the interview to ask some more specific questions of each interviewer as we waited for the next manager to arrive.

Interview Questions
    • Given an integer, write a function that returns the number of bits in the integer that are set.   View Answers (2)
    • Two people are walking down a tunnel, they are 1/3 of the way through the tunnel when they hear a train behind them. One of the people runs back towards the entry where they started and exits the tunnel just as the train is entering. The second person runs towards the exit where they were heading and exits just as the train is exiting the tunnel.

Relative to the people how fast is the train moving and how far away was the train when they heard it?
        View Answer

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!