Garmin Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Diamond Bar, CA).

Interview

Waited about 1 week to get contacted by HR after sending in the resume. The procedure then is pretty standard, started with HR phone screening, followed by technical phone interview, and finally in-person interview. The HR phone screening already asked some behavioral questions. The technical phone interview consists of OOP and C++ memory management questions. The on-site requires the applicant to solving a programming problem in OOP, then discussed some programming language keyword usage, and finally ended with a brain teasing question. In overall, the HR is very effective and responsive.

Interview Questions

• The brain teasing question is totally not related to coding, but one might be easily get stuck in computer mindset after doing the coding problem in the front.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Diamond Bar, CA).

Interview

The first phone interview was a simple screening and gave me a chance to establish some expectations regarding the job and compensation. The second phone interview was with the would-be manager. He is very knowledgeable and asked decent questions that allowed me to demonstrate my knowledge of software programming. The final interview was on-site with the manager and another developer. They showed me to a room, gave me a set of programming objectives, and sat me down in front of a laptop. This is probably the best and most effective way to demonstrate me knowledge of programming. I was comfortable the entire time and really enjoyed the task they gave me. Roughly after half an hour they came back in and put my code up on a projector where we then proceeded to discuss what i had concocted. We discussed my design pattern and the finer details like initialization list, constants, threads and memory management. Overall it was a very positive process and the team there must be a talented bunch. The technical recruiter is also very responsive and made the whole thing run smoothly.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between Windows CE/Embedded and a regular Windows OS? What is the difference between a mutex and a semaphore? How would you use the keyword mutable (C++)?   Answer Question

Accepted a competing offer. Pay was slightly below market.

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in January 2013.

Interview

Initial hiring process is started by filling an application through their online system. Even at job fairs at college and such, that's how it works. If your resume attracts attention, and they don't lose you in their paperwork (as happened to me the first time) then you get a phone interview. Having a friend on the inside to speak on your behalf can cut the change of being overlooked, since their HR hiring people are scatterbrained. If you pass the phone interview, then you are invited to Garmin for a tour, and a series of interviews with the departments looking for new hires. They ask you to bring code you have written for them to review, but only 2 out of the 10 or so people I interviewed with actually looked at it. If the general consensus among those you interview with is good, then you are offered a job. You get to choose preferences for department, and as far as I can tell, you get the most preferred department that also wanted you.

Interview Questions

• The in-person interviews at Garmin that follow the phone interview are done by engineers, and the interviews are very technical. Keep in mind that most of Garmin deals mostly in C, and plan for a technical interview accordingly. The hardest questions was probably about the minimum number of bits required to encode information about a street in a GPS system (including speed limit as a multiple of 5, up to a certain limit, and several other bits of info they give you).   1 Answer

Negotiation

They did not seem open to negotiation, but mine was an interview for an entry-level position, so that may have affected it.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA

Interview

Software Engineer You will have to code a simple program for half an hour. Then they will ask you simple questions about embedded development. Review your OS book from college (threads, stacks, locks, etc). Garmin works on embedded devices so it's fair that they test on these low level topics. Then one puzzle at the end, google style. I would buy one of those puzzle books and work through some of them just to get the basic concept (generally the puzzle looks unsolvable, will have some unnecessary information designed to send you down the wrong path, etc) and techniques to solve it. I was only there for a few hours but this garmin LA site would be a nice place to work. It's a small engineering group- very laid back with no dress code or even fixed hours. Nice equipment. Standard corporate building just off the freeway. The management structure is fairly flat so I don't think there is much advancement but if you love just coding, it'd be a great place to work. The manager at the branch is very sharp so that's good news. The best part of the interview was just talking shop about industry trends and emerging technologies. I think Garmin has a lot of potential as a company and its diversification will help it keep its edge. I wouldn't be worried about job security at all at this branch as they seem to be expanding their operations.

Interview Questions

• Why is using an initialization list faster than just putting the code in the constructor.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied for a position in California through the Garmin website, was denied a position but invited to apply at their headquarters in Olathe, KS. Received an initial HR phone interview which was very basic and nothing to worry about. Mainly just normal resume review and a few basic technical questions (What is function overloading, what is a semaphore, a mutex). A few days later I was invited to interview on-site. After a coupe weeks I flew there and interviewed with four different groups, primarily one-on-one. The interviews were not difficult, most of them starting with the manager describing their department and myself describing my background. Then we went into technical questions that were not at all challenging. I was able to solve the questions fairly quickly which left a decent amount of time at the tail end of the interview to ask some more specific questions of each interviewer as we waited for the next manager to arrive.

Interview Questions

• Given an integer, write a function that returns the number of bits in the integer that are set.   2 Answers
    • Two people are walking down a tunnel, they are 1/3 of the way through the tunnel when they hear a train behind them. One of the people runs back towards the entry where they started and exits the tunnel just as the train is entering. The second person runs towards the exit where they were heading and exits just as the train is exiting the tunnel. Relative to the people how fast is the train moving and how far away was the train when they heard it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in September 2012.

Interview

30 min HR interview followed up with a 30 min test

Interview Questions

• They have you look at code and tell them what it does and what you could do to make the code more efficient.   Answer Question

I love the company very much but Kansas isn't my type of place.

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in May 2012.

Interview

Initial phone call told me that teams were asking HR about me because I had sent my resume to a friend of a friend who passed it on to the managers. Did a technical phone screen with a team lead for an Aviation Embedded Test Software Engineer. After phone screen, I was notified that they wanted to bring me onsite for an interview. I had to postpone the onsite after it was scheduled due to some surgery complications, but the company worked very well with me, basically told me that as soon as I could make it to let them know. It was one month later when I was able to go onsite. I interviewed with 4 teams, each interview consisted of several behavioral type questions then ended with technical questions such as finding errors in code, or writing a function to do some thing. Very focused on multithreading and real time embedded systems, even if you have no experience actually doing this stuff if you know the concepts you should be good. I was offered a job just under a week later.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to count the number of bits that are set in an int.   1 Answer
    • Gave me a logic diagram with two values plotted and asked me to plot the third value.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Asked for a little more than the offer and was given a sign on bonus instead that made up for two years at the rate I had asked for.

Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Novi, MI) in April 2012.

Interview

Interview experience was pleasant, i was asked about object oriented programming questions, about html, javascript and some questions about projects i did in my previous companies and the role i played in each of those.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in March 2012.

Interview

Got called by a recruiter. Got a phone screen. They flew me to Olathe and I was interviewed by 4 groups. At the time the money the recruiter was quoting me was not what I would have wanted but I needed a job so I went through the process. I'm going to say that one of the best things that ever happened to my career was not getting an offer there. About 3 weeks later I got an offer that was 50% higher than what I would have accepted there. The company that made the offer was not only a much larger company, one that is truly on the leading edge of technology but also a company that treats it's employees fanstastically. I answered their technical questions correctly. However, one of the developers who interviewed me was openly hostile to me. He grilled me about polymorphism in C++ and I patiently explained to him about base classes, virtual functions, function signatures, and overriding methods. Even though my explanation was correct he wrote in his comments that I was confused. He took a completely hostile approach from the gitgo with his opening comments. He may or may not work there any longer but he probably does. The amusing part about this is that I have my doubts that they really write a lot of code in C++. Also there was a form for reimbursement of incidental expenses. I filed the form but I never received a cent. My impression of the software development teams was that they are competent but probably lack decent leadership which means that there are probably not as productive as they could be. Of course some of the groups that I interviewed with have probably cut back (like consumer electronics), not sure about the OEM (car infotainment work), and some are probably doing well like the marine equipment and avionics. I think one should expect less pay than industry norms when working there. I would put them in the average category. Some interesting work perhaps but a fair amount of incompetance in managing resources. They also asked me to bring a sample of my code. They never asked to look at it in the five hours I was there. Today, git might be something they use now to review your code samples.

Interview Questions

• They had do a logic puzzle. It wasn't hard and I think the interview though it would take me awhile but I did it in about 3 minutes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, MO) in February 2012.

Interview

Did a phone interview, they then flew me in to Olathe for an in-person interview. Met with HR first, had lunch with another engineer, and then 2 interviews with 2 different groups [1 person for one group, 2 for the other]. Questions asked were computer science 101 level and led me to believe they were hiring for a junior or intern, not a senior or principal. This may have explained the interviewers I encountered as several didn't seem to be too senior in their knowledge areas. They also have no formal development methodology, no project management standards, etc. This was my take after a 4 or 5 hour interview that could have easily been done over the phone or skype.

Interview Questions

• Flip a bit in a uint32 using C.   3 Answers

Although the organization is successful, I felt the engineers and project managers I met were not on top of their game. Also, lunch in the lunch room reminded me of a funeral-- not a happy soul in sight. Compensation was far below industry, benefits were mediocre, personal work environments appeared very (!!!!) cramped and congested. Limited opportunity for personal and professional growth were my take from this interview.