Garmin Software Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Had phone interview with recruiter with typical HR questions about background, experience, etc. Was told that they would get back to me the following week to setup a call with the development team, and that the entire process would be about 3 weeks. Never heard back, and the recruiter never responded to a followup email asking about the status of things.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

2 phone interviews and then one on-site interview. It took a week for the HR to get back. I accepted the offer right it's more than what i asked for.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Started with 2 hr interviews. Mentioned a game that I wrote in my spare time, they loved it. They had me come to KC KS for an interview. The coding question was elementary. Theoretical questions touched subject matter no higher than Data Structure questions, such as stack vs. queue, etc.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a stack and a queue?   1 Answer
    • What is a situation that might result in a stack overflow?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Their initial offer was much more than I anticipated, I accepted it with no further regard.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Phone screen by HR, technical phone interview by person in group. On site interview with any interested groups, pretty standard. Very smart people, and know what they are looking for in a candidate, which is refreshing. More interested in your background and abilities than ability to solve (memorize solutions to) mind melting puzzles.

Interview Questions

• Mostly background information from the resume. Each round had 2 technical questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Interview was 2 part. The first part was a getting to know you phone interview, that assessed your knowledge of the company, your interests, anything that was on your resume, pretty standard interview. An in person interview was scheduled for a week later. The in person interview was more technically focused. There was a lot of discussion about previous projects, embedded systems, and more about the company itself. A programming assignment was given with 3 problems. They were all written in C. The first problem was a program the draws an exponential function on a Cartesian plane. There is a semicolon after the for loop that causes the function to run incorrectly. You are asked to explain what the program does, find the problem, then explain what it actually does with the added semicolon. The next two assignments are adding programs. An array is values is to be added. In the first problem the variable "int total" is not instantiated to 0, so it will have a crazy value. In the second instance pointers are used for the program. In the for loop where total would be incremented the pointer "p" was not dereferenced with an "*"

Interview Questions

• The question over the pointer is tricky, many young developers (including myself) have difficultly understanding and using pointers effectively.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got an email from hr to setup an interview, interviewed with another person for about an hour. Interviewer was very polite and professional but was a bit too direct about other companies I was interviewing with and desired salary. It made it seem like they care more about how cheaply they can get a new hire rather than their quality. The interviewer promised an offer or rejection within two weeks and actually delivered it (unfortunately this seems less common than it should be).

Interview Questions

• Basics about coursework and past projects, particular interest in c++ and embedded systems. Where else have you applied and who do you have offers with? <-- bad question How much is your desired salary for this role? <-- interview seemed great until this question, I did not ask for any more than the average for interns and was willing to negotiate, but interview turned sour after my answer.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Two short interviews in person. One was a technical interview based mainly on resume projects and how you approached them, details on how you implemented something, what you would have done differently, etc. The second interview was with HR and was behavioral, with questions about what you enjoy doing, what kind of person you are, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to follow strict regulations and how you adapted your work style to meet these regulations.   Answer Question

I didn't like the location of the internship.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very smooth process, good HR and kind, knowledgeable senior members that interview. Interview was fairly long but very enjoyable, talked with 2 different people about past experience + what to get out of garmin. A lot of conceptual coding questions, a bit of algorithmic coding questions. Overall very smooth, good experience, great company, great office, great work environment

Interview Questions

• What are the premium differences between java and c and why might you use c over an object oriented language   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Applied through a career fair. I was contacted by a recruiter and completed two initial interviews that were mostly behavioral. (Times you worked on a team? A situation where you didn't know how to solve a problem... how did you solve it? etc) Then I completed a technical interview. The technical interview involved them asking about my experiences, general questions about programming, then going to the board for a few problems.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online. I heard back within the week and scheduled a 45 minute phone interview. I did not realize how technical phone interview was, and was not prepared for the questions, so they did not continue the process. The interview began with very basic questions, but moved into more complex questions about object oriented programming and C++. If I were to do it over, I would have reviewed different terms related to C++.