Gartner Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated May 4, 2015

3.4

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, then second phone interview with senior recruiter. First interview was quite easy and the second was harder. I didn't get through to the next state because I didn't have direct sales experience, but was told everything what was fine.

It seems like a pretty quick process. Be sure to be prepared to link your skills and experience to the job you're applying for.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Gartner
    Explain your previous/current role
    How are you skills relevant to the role

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Gartner

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gartner.

Interview

You have a couple phone interviews, then an in person interview. They make you do a PowerPoint. Sit with a present worker. Go in front of a panel. If you make it through this process you can get a job anywhere.

Account Executive Interview

Interview

I was recruited for the position, completed 3 phone interviews and was sent to the corporate office for a final interview. When speaking with the recruiter, he mentioned one of his applicants that week didn't get in until 2am and had a 7am interview and how sorry he felt for him. Well, guess what happened to me? After a very stressful 4 day week putting in over 50 hours, I hopped on a plane Thursday evening only to get an e-mail saying the VP's schedules had changed and my interview was no longer Friday at 3pm, but 7:30am. I landed after midnight. When I was picking up my rental car one of the guys told me to "watch out for the whiteboard portion" and mentioned that they constantly have people coming in and out for interviews because they burn through employees. Got to my hotel around 2am and had to be up by 5:30 to get ready for the interview. Needless to say, I hardly slept, got up, put on a suit, and was expect to perform at the highest of my abilities. I performed poorly and I accept that; I only wish I had not gone when I saw the interview time change. I would have walked away thinking that it was a waste of my time going to Florida, but had I not known this had happened to several people before me then I wouldn't be as upset. I'm sure it's a fine company which is why I went to the interview even though I'm completely content with my current job, but they need to realize when they set people up for failure.

Interview Questions

• They explained a scenario and asked me to 'sell the idea' using the white board.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Gartner (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Was found online by recruiter who eventually got around to setting up phone interview. There was some challenges in the recruiter getting a time nailed down with me. I'm in sales so I get needing to chase, but when a recruiter calls you, at some point the burden should shift to the hiror not the hiree.

Interview Questions

• basic to some moderate top grading formatted questions...nothing hard.   2 Answers

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner in September 2014.

Interview

Received a phone call from a recruiter and after a 5 min discussion I agreed to take 30 minutes the following week to hear more about what he had to say and I would send him my resume in the meantime. On the next call he asked about my experience, reasons I would leave current company, etc, and he decided to move me to the next round which would be speaking with a Sr Recruiter a few days later. After my conversation with the Sr Recruiter, we hit it off and he decided it was time to have a call with the hiring manager and see if we clicked. The call with the hiring manager was a week later and went well. We just had basic conversations where I could tell he was seeing how I carried myself in casual conversation as well as some generic interview questions; strengths, weaknesses, etc. From there, he wanted me to speak with his boss, the VP. I spoke with him within a couple days of the hiring manager and we too hit it off. He asked some more in depth questions about me as a salesperson and had me describe how I would handle certain scenarios such as difficult clients, etc. From there he recommended we go into a face to face panel interview and continue the process.

For the panel I was given 1 paragraph of info saying I was meeting with a CIO for the first time and they had a neutral experience with Gartner, as well as a few key stats. When I got to the interview, the hiring manager played the CIO and the VP played the CFO (who there was no mention of being present in the scenario). The addition of the CFO was to see how you handle change. The Sr Recruiter was dialed into the conference room as well. The role play was difficult. They made you buckle down and see how you work under pressure. They threw up objections to almost everything as well as tried to guide the conversation into rat holes. My objective was to understand their business initiatives and priorities and leave with clear action items. Make sure you do a time check when you begin the role play to see how long they have allotted. Mine lasted about 20 minutes and I was drained by the time it was over. When we finished, they asked how I thought it went, and I told them I thought it was ok, not great, and they thought I did pretty well. From there we went into 90 minutes of interview including everything from situation handling to pitching something I had previously sold, to more personal things. I could tell they wanted to make sure I had work/life balance. When I thought the interview was over, the VP asked me to either explain, or draw on the white board, who I am, however I choose to do it. No further instruction. What? As I walked to the whiteboard, my brain already drained from the interview and role play, I came up with something that didn't make a ton of sense but then I had to explain it to them. I think this was, again, a way to test you on your toes and how you adapt to change. From there we wrapped the pleasantries and parted ways and they told me they planned to make a decision within the next week and a half. I left pretty confident that I did not do enough to get an offer.

The next day I spoke with the recruiter and he said he I did really well but at that point it was up to the manager and VP. I did the typical follow up emails to them and got a basic thank you one liner back from the VP. A week later I got a call from the hiring manager. He wanted to discuss how I thought I did, what I would do differently, and what my general thoughts were about the position. After about 10 minutes of talking and me thinking I was about to get the "sorry, we went another direction" spiel, he said he wanted to offer me the position. I was elated, albeit a little surprised. Something he said that resonated with me was that I am a professional salesperson, not a professional interviewer, and that shined through.

From there, I got a call back from HR and we discussed logistics of an offer as well as potential start dates. We had already discussed compensation ranges as well as potential start dates on previous calls so this was nothing new. It took what seemed to be an eternity, about 5 business days, to get a written offer in hand. They called me before sending me the offer and more or less wanted me to confirm I would be accepting the offer before they would send it over. He even wanted me to click accept within 30 minutes of him sending it. I assume they did not want to be used as leverage for me to stay at my then current employer. I planned to take the offer either way but found this a bit odd. After accepting the offer online, I had to fill out about a dozen forms which included background check etc. Even after accepting, they did not want me to turn in my notice to my employer until all the checks had cleared and they gave me the greenlight. This process was handled by a 3rd party and took about a week, which was way too long for what it was.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness. And another? And another? And another? They continued on until I changed the topic and were trying to see how far I would go.   Answer Question

Negotiation

We had done the negotiating on a small range earlier in the process and they stuck to it. There was no wiggle room on the offer and no sign on bonus either. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Gartner (Seattle, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial phone screen with HR partner - lasted one hour; asked very smart questions, had experience which was evident. Many questions around drive, motivation, what sets apart from others, how do you build relationships with executives, what do you know about the position, what do you know about gartner.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Gartner.

Interview

Had two phone interviews with HR followed by a two hour+ in-person interviews with the hiring managers (VP of Sales and two Area Managers). Following step is a panel interview with a case study and role playing. If hired they have a 90-day training period including a week in their Fort Myers training center. They take their time hiring and look for the best fit. Key information they want to know if how you sell and prospect and what your sense of urgency is.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected but they do want details on your selling process and sense of urgency.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in June 2012.

Interview

It started with a short phone interview with HR in CT, then an hour with local Recruiter, followed by a phone interview with 2 Area Managers, and finally a panel presentation as well as a roll play sales call. The key is being PREPARED. Do your homework on this company, and who you are interviewing with. Let your personality shine through.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to be successful? What are your personal/ professional goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gartner (Stamford, CT) in April 2012.

Interview

The interview was a relatively quick process for the length of it. I applied online and got a call back the next day. I considered it a phone interview as it lasted 40 minutes. This was followed up with an email to arrange a face to face interview. The face to face interview focused on Gartner as a company, who they want, what they look for and what they want to achieve. This is where you ask your questions. You want to leave understanding the role, the team, the culture and the company. Give examples as to why you are a fit for these values. Feedback on how you did is given at the end of each interview stage.

Interview 3 - The panel interview. A presentation and roleplay. 4 Gartner senior managers involved. Assimilate the information you are given a few days prior to the role play. Understand the background situation and reference it in your interview. Understand the sales cycle, it's different phases, and ask questions. Understand the issues being faced by this "pretend" potential client. Prepare for it as you would a normal meeting.

Presentation. 20 minutes is not long to cover the presentation. Practice your timing before you go in. Know your content and have clear outlined points. If you've ever done University presentations, it's nearly the same. Consider it a sale, as you are selling and pitching yourself. Let them know why Gartner is right for you and why you are right for Gartner.

Interview 4 - A tie on to the last Interview. Having a 1 on 1 with another Manager to understand why you have the attributes you have. What drives and motivates you. Do you have the ability to absorb the information they are going to load onto you and are you coach-able.

All managers that i met were highly intelligent, extremely experienced and a cut above the rest in terms of ability to communicate. They know all of the tricks of the trade. Be honest, be prepared, be yourself and be clear in your intentions. You are not just selling yourself for the position. You are confirming that the position is right for you. It's an intense highly competitive position. Make sure you have the hunger for it.

Interview Questions

• What Is it that gets you out of bed in the morning to sell.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in March 2012.

Interview

The original HR recruiter that contacted me, I had already met at the Big 10 Career Expo. She was an excellent recruiter. However, the next phone interview, was really unprofessional. She was approximately 15 minutes late for our scheduled phone conversation, but apologized with an excuse. She did state that she was typing out some notes throughout the interview process, but was very un-responsive after each answer. I typed a e-mail to one of the HR recruiters that sent me an email to confirm the interview about the process of getting hired on. She had forwarded it to the second woman that I interviewed with. The woman replied directly to myself with a typical rejection letter, but she had attached my original email conversation with the first woman that I had contacted through email.