Gartner Account Executive Interview Questions & Reviews

3.3

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stamford, CT
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in April 2012.

The interview was a relatively quick process for the length of it. I applied online and got a call back the next day. I considered it a phone interview as it lasted 40 minutes. This was followed up with an email to arrange a face to face interview. The face to face interview focused on Gartner as a company, who they want, what they look for and what they want to achieve. This is where you ask your questions. You want to leave understanding the role, the team, the culture and the company. Give examples as to why you are a fit for these values. Feedback on how you did is given at the end of each interview stage.

Interview 3 - The panel interview. A presentation and roleplay. 4 Gartner senior managers involved. Assimilate the information you are given a few days prior to the role play. Understand the background situation and reference it in your interview. Understand the sales cycle, it's different phases, and ask questions. Understand the issues being faced by this "pretend" potential client. Prepare for it as you would a normal meeting.

Presentation. 20 minutes is not long to cover the presentation. Practice your timing before you go in. Know your content and have clear outlined points. If you've ever done University presentations, it's nearly the same. Consider it a sale, as you are selling and pitching yourself. Let them know why Gartner is right for you and why you are right for Gartner.

Interview 4 - A tie on to the last Interview. Having a 1 on 1 with another Manager to understand why you have the attributes you have. What drives and motivates you. Do you have the ability to absorb the information they are going to load onto you and are you coach-able.

All managers that i met were highly intelligent, extremely experienced and a cut above the rest in terms of ability to communicate. They know all of the tricks of the trade. Be honest, be prepared, be yourself and be clear in your intentions. You are not just selling yourself for the position. You are confirming that the position is right for you. It's an intense highly competitive position. Make sure you have the hunger for it.

Interview Questions
  • What Is it that gets you out of bed in the morning to sell.   Answer Question
Not much room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Gartner

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Gartner in March 2013.

Initial phone screen with HR partner - lasted one hour; asked very smart questions, had experience which was evident. Many questions around drive, motivation, what sets apart from others, how do you build relationships with executives, what do you know about the position, what do you know about gartner.

Account Executive Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Gartner.

Had two phone interviews with HR followed by a two hour+ in-person interviews with the hiring managers (VP of Sales and two Area Managers). Following step is a panel interview with a case study and role playing. If hired they have a 90-day training period including a week in their Fort Myers training center. They take their time hiring and look for the best fit. Key information they want to know if how you sell and prospect and what your sense of urgency is.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected but they do want details on your selling process and sense of urgency.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in June 2008.

The interview process is extremely difficult in my region at this point. There are several step taken and a lot of volume in terms of candidates. The final interview includes a panel with VPs and managers so be sure to be prepared. Remember that all account executive positions are SALES positions so be sure to close your interviewer on all accounts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Gartner in September 2008.

Interviewed by anywhere between 6-8 people including the corporate recruiter to multiple sales managers.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't think the questions were difficult given they were questions I had experience in which to draw from. I guess it there had to be one it would be "describe a complex deal you won and lost and what you learned from it".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Remote, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in February 2012.

Easy. Phone interview, hiring manager phone interview, hiring manager in person interview, role play interview with hiring manager and regional manager, offer the next day.
    Overall very easy, but I've been doing this a long time and they really needed to fill the position. The final interview was a role play in which I was meeting with the "CIO" for the first time. My advice is, have an idea of what CIOs care about and in general how they think.

I'd prepped them beforehand and was happy with offer. I did press them on AE vs. Sr AE and still don't get the difference - I've been doing this long enough to qualify for Sr AE but my title is just AE.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in June 2012.

It started with a short phone interview with HR in CT, then an hour with local Recruiter, followed by a phone interview with 2 Area Managers, and finally a panel presentation as well as a roll play sales call. The key is being PREPARED. Do your homework on this company, and who you are interviewing with. Let your personality shine through.

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you to be successful? What are your personal/ professional goals?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in March 2012.

The original HR recruiter that contacted me, I had already met at the Big 10 Career Expo. She was an excellent recruiter. However, the next phone interview, was really unprofessional. She was approximately 15 minutes late for our scheduled phone conversation, but apologized with an excuse. She did state that she was typing out some notes throughout the interview process, but was very un-responsive after each answer. I typed a e-mail to one of the HR recruiters that sent me an email to confirm the interview about the process of getting hired on. She had forwarded it to the second woman that I interviewed with. The woman replied directly to myself with a typical rejection letter, but she had attached my original email conversation with the first woman that I had contacted through email.

Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Gartner in April 2011.

Very long interview process where they constantly change dates and do not get back to you. Took over two months. It is a great company, but only once your in it. During the interview process, they constantly made me feel like I wasn't good enough, even though I was very qualified for the position

Anonymous Employee  in  Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Gartner in February 2011.

Gartner is a funny place. I enjoyed meeting the several people I interviewed with and it was a long day. When i wrote thank you notes a few days later only a couple of the people i met replied. Basically, the job went to a friend of one of the people I interviewed with which apparently is a trend at Gartner as almost everyone in the department knew each other before working at Gartner. So my advice is to network into this place if you are really interested in a job there. Experience and Education does not necessarily matter. Connections with people there does.....

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to pitch a product i have sold in the past.   View Answer

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!