Gartner

Updated Jan 14, 2015

3.8

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gartner in November 2013.

I was contacted by Gartner recruiter, most likely a 3rd party, based on my LinkedIn account. Scheduled phone interview only to be cancelled 2 min. before the call via an email. Recruiter asked to reschedule which I agreed with possible options. Never received a response back. That was three months ago. Gartner is expanding by leaps and bounds and just looking to fill in the gaps. Use caution.

Other Interview Reviews for Gartner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gartner.

Interview process is all over the phone until the last one. Because they are all over an hour long phone interviews at time it can feel awkward. They are pretty intense and the last interview is very stringent. The manager that interviewed me was very rigid and was hard to read.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gartner in September 2013.

Submitted a resume via the Gartner website on a Friday evening. Received a callback from the recruiter on Monday. She asked about my skills, how I heard about Gartner, why I wanted to work here. She told me a little bit about Gartner employee benefits and the salary they wanted to pay. My skills/resume was such a close match with the job description and I was very excited to be called. The HR recruiter was a delight. Very charming and put me at ease immediately. Great person to speak with and she represented Gartner in a very professional manner.

It took only a few days to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. Right at the beginning of the phone interview, even before I could open my mouth to say anything, I could tell the hiring manager was just 'not that into me'.

After a few opening remarks, I was told that the job description had changed and they were really looking for something different. The manager played it off as though this happens all the time and it was no big deal. I tried to ask for specifics on what they were looking for but got very vague answers. This was one of those interviews where they were going through the motions. I had the distinct impression they were already set on hiring someone else.

I found it very rude that during a brief 30 minute interview the hiring manager was messaging someone online. I realize that this is one of the tell-tale signs they are not interested, however I still found it rude.

After the 30 minute interview was over, I was grateful to be off the phone. I was not impressed. This manager was not someone I would have liked to work for.

I am grateful for the opportunity for the interview because one can always learn something by the process. However, it really left a bad taste in my mouth for the company.

A few days later I received a very nice, polite and professional email from HR, explaining that the position was filled. I appreciated the email letting me know the status.
    It also confirmed what I already sensed during the interview -- Someone else was already selected and they were probably waiting for acceptance of the offer around the same time that I had my interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing was not a question but a statement.....The job description has changed. The job listing is old and doesn't apply anymore.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gartner in April 2013.

Several phone interviews lead up to an on-site panel review with PowerPoint presentation and mock sales-call. The company is looking for people who ask tons of questions! Just keep them coming during the sales call and get down to specifics. They will give feedback (i.e. criticize you) each step of the way. Hiring Managers want to see how you handle critique and whether you can put what they tell you into practice. I was told that I don't handle criticism well enough so an offer couldn't be made. I disagree with the assessment but couldn't argue the point because that would show by default how I don't handle criticism well. I was between a rock and a hard place I suppose. Anyway, the 4-5 step hiring process will prepare you for every other company's interview routine. Be sure to "sell yourself" the whole way.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness?

PowerPoint panel presentation.

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner in April 2013.

I did not get the job, but it was a great experience for me to apply for new companies, the hiring process is long and very complex, but it helps you preparing to expect the unexpected. People are very nice and give you good feed back to prepare for future interviews. God luck

Interview Questions
    • all were expected, I read reviews from people that had the interview before me, and it was almost the sa,e questions.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gartner in April 2013.

4 step process, 3 phone interviews then an in person panel interview. The third is the hardest and be prepared to go through a role play. When you get to the final interview they introduce you to some people around the office and you get a chance to speak with someone who is currently in the position you're applying for. Make sure you ask good questions.

Interview Questions
    • They expect you to have really good questions and to be able to apply the feedback you've been given,   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner in October 2012.

Very intensive interview process. They get very personal and spend a lot of time trying to understand your "sense of purpose". Essentially what they are getting at is - do you have something that drives you to make a lot of money. Because if you have that and are relatively intelligent, you can make a lot of money here. And the more money you make, the more money the hiring manager makes. The more motivated the candidate/employee is, the easier the managers job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gartner in August 2011.

Very in depth interview process in this order:
    1st step: factfinding call with the corporate recruiter
    2nd step: In depth questionaire on the phone with local recruiter
    3rd Step: Phone interview with 2 managers
    4th step: Coaching phone call for your 5th and final step
    5th step: In person panel interview with 2 hiring managers. Consists of a 30-minute one-on-one with another account executive to pick their brain. Then a 60minute presentation where you sell yourself and answer why you want to work at Gartner, followed by a 30 minute role-play call (they give you a scenerio where you speak with the CMO of Tech Inc and have to fact-find him over the phone).

I recommend working on the 30minute roleplay. Ask as many open-ended and factfinding questions as possible. I didn't get the job because I didn't ask enough questions on this call. I aced every other part of the interview, but didn't get the job due to not being able to conduct the phone call according to the hiring managers expectations, even though I have 7 years experience in on-the-phone & in-person sales.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gartner in August 2011.

1. First phone interview with corporate HR in Stamford - very nice was on your side - make sure to email about what to expect for second interview.
    2. Second phone interview with local HR manager in Fort Myers - was nice as well.
    3. Third phone interview with 2 SMB managers. Each one has been there for over 10 years - make sure you ask questions of how they got there and why they are still there. One of them was very laid back the other one, not so much. He made you feel awful about what you bringing in as though you were interviewing for a "entry level" position (I have over 7 years of sales experience which didn't matter to them). Some of the questions I presented they couldn't answer correctly - they needed clarification, I don't know any manager that couldn't answer simple manager questions.

Overall, when applying and interviewing for this position if they see any flaw i.e., motivation, character trait, the way you perceive competition, not asking the right questions regarding the "value based" selling approach - which you need to dig and dig deeper into the question, personal/professional goals - that need to be carefully planned out specifically of how you will reach them, how you prepared for this interview - annual report (any keywords that you find that you don't know, ask) what you found out within the annual report, storytelling is a must. You will be put through interview after interview with all these character questions regarding you, and why you want to work for Gartner - must have compelling reason or they won't consider you.

If you want to be sitting in cubicle all day and micromanaged by SMB managers ... good luck!!

Interview Questions
    • Why Gartner?   View Answer
    • 1 How did you prepare for this interview?
      2 What are your goals professional/personal?
      3 How will you overachieve your quota?
      4 How do you value competition?

View Answer
    • Did you reach your sales quota in last position?   View Answer
    • SMB Managers play on key words in your panel interview.   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

The interview process was long with 4 interviews in total. First is the phone interview with HR, then a phone interview with the hiring manager. Next was a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The final interview is to a panel of executives and was a 45 minute presentation on my understanding of the business, the role and what I can bring to the organisation.

Interview Questions
    • Because there was a panel for the final interview, there was a number of questions on variety of things, mostly hypothetical, situational questions.   Answer Question
    Not a great deal of negotiation took place as the offer was what we'd discussed throughout the interview process.