Gartner Account Manager SMB Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014

3.9

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Manager SMB Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in September 2014.

The process too about 4 weeks. I applied through an employee referral and was contacted by a recruiter from their corporate office in Stamford. This interview was pretty standard, just vetting my credentials. The next interview was over the phone with a local area recruiter, again asking about my prior work experience and trying to understand if I had the qualities that Gartner is looking for. The third phone interview was with 2 managers who questioned me about my drive, followed by a mock sales call. The last interview was an in person panel interview, consisting of a walkthrough with an existing Account Manager, a panel interview with an area manager and regional VP, and another mock sales call.

Gartner expects the absolute best from their candidates, and that is what you need to show them. They want to know that being number 1 is your top priority, and that you have a natural curiosity about the role. Ask as many questions as you can, both in the interview and in the roleplays and you should make it to the final round.

Interview Questions
  • If you had to choose between meeting 95% of your sales goal, but have 2-3 clients give you amazing feedback, or overachieving your goal by 120% with 2-3 negative feedbacks, what would you choose?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Gartner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Gartner in May 2013.

Initially submitted my resume through a friend who was employed there. Got through 3 rounds of phone interviews before being invited to Fort Meyers for the final interview. Interviews involved sales call role-play. Building was very nice. People were friendly. Liked to atmosphere and culture. Left interview very confident, didn't end up receiving an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The role play was the most challenging aspect to the interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gartner.

There are 4 stages to this interview process as listed below:
    1. Get contacted by a recruiter/apply to the position
    2. Interview with a Sr. Recruiter
    3. Interview w/ 2 Area Managers
    4. On site Interview

Overall, this was a very mentally draining process, but if you get an offer you know you earned it. These interviews are made for you to be quick on your feet and be able to answer unexpected questions. If you have experience selling to C-levels, or B2B you should be fine. Just be yourself and like others posted, BE CURIOUS. They want you to ask a lot of questions as that is how you will be successful in the position.

Interview Questions
    • Who is your mentor and what would they say your biggest weakness is?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gartner in April 2014.

Very good experience to put to the test everything you have invested your time in perfecting. Although rigorous, this company is looking for a certain candidate that can relate to the culture they incorporate into the company. Expect to be on your feet the whole time, follow a time frame, and prove you are the best at what you're capable of.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Gartner in May 2014.

As mentioned by other applicants, the interview process at Gartner is rigorous. The entire process can take as little as two weeks; however, t is totally subjective.

I will save you a lot of time and reading; here are the key things you need to do to get a job at Gartner:

-Be Yourself
    -Be Confident
    -Be Flexible

Gartner is looking for a certain skill set; if you don't have it, certainly don't try to fake it (they will find you out during the interview process).

This is a sales job, so the ideal candidate would be proficient in the sales process (from open to close). You should be self motivated, intelligent, articulate, and a people person. In addition, you should demonstrate a high level of executive presence, you will be dealing with C- Level executives. Above all else, you need to be CURIOUS.

If you are the sort of person I just described; this may be a great place for you.

Good luck!

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gartner in July 2013.

Rigorous interview process. Two phone interviews with two HR recruiters then a phone discussion with the hiring manager. It was a typical questions about previous experience, then off the wall personality questions that have nothing to do with getting to know the applicant. I found myself answering the same introduction questions in triplicate. What I really liked was the HR recruiters gave you detailed feedback on your answers so they can coach you to the next step. Best advice, content in your answers, don't talk too much, and move on.

Interview Questions
    • They firmly used behavioral-based STAR platform (Situation, Task, Action, and Result) on a certain challenge you have faced on overcome.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Gartner.

The interview process was very elaborate and detailed. The questions were tough and precise. I felt like they truly wanted the best representatives for their company and believe that they will pick and choose the elite.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to explain one of my most difficult moments as a sales rep, and how it impacted each individual involved. They dug into a few things that I learned, and wanted to know how I had helped others grow from similar experiences.   Answer Question

Account Manager SMB Interview

4 interviews. 2 with recruiter, 2 with upper management. Role play during the last 2. Tough interview process, but rewarding if you can get through it. Most of the questions are trait based, they just want to find out what drives you personally and make sure you are the right fit for the company.

Interview Questions
    • What gets you out of bed in the morning?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in August 2013.

I had 3 phone interviews, then went into the Boston office for a one-on-one session with a current Account Manager SMB, followed by a panel presentation and ending with a mock sales call. I had an incredible experience interviewing with Gartner. Every person I spoke/interacted with was extremely professional. I truly believe that the negative reviews simply come from those who were not offered positions. I did not have one bad experience with Gartner. I just wished I had been offered a position in the city I interviewed in.

Interview Questions
    • What would your mentor say are some things you need to work on as a professional?   Answer Question

I was offered a position in the city that I did not desire to be in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Naples, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Gartner.

4 phone and Panel interview. Panel is the hardest. Ask a ton of questions in all the phone and especially during panel. They are looking for people that ask tons of relevant questions that will lead to opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • During Panel Interview, they asked me to get on the white board and explain to them how Gartner helps their customers.   Answer Question

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!