Gartner

Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Executive Interview

Client Executive
Egham, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in December 2012.

Interview Details – Telephone interview with recruitment
1st panel interview Face to Face with 6 people
2nd panel interview Face to Face with 6 people including a presentation

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was a little bit painful. The salaries are not high at Gartner compared with other IT sales roles and I felt like I was being "bartered down" all the time which made me feel devalued. However they offer all the standard perks that come with working for a US company and the Private Health scheme is second to none - focused more on wellbeing and perks associated with gym membership, sports equipment etc

Leadership Client Manager Interview

Leadership Client Manager
Egham, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in December 2013.

Interview Details – 1st Stage involved phone interview with Recruitment Manager, going over my CV and reasons why I am interested in the position.

2nd Stage was a face to face with the VP LCM, Area Manager of LCMs, and a LCM.

The format of the 2nd Stage Interview was as follows:

We started the interview by going through my CV, covering such questions as: Why did I do a Philosophy degree? Why were my main responsibilities and duties for each of my past employers? What were the reasons for leaving each employer? Why did I choose to start up my own business?

It was noted that my CV had a couple of typing mistakes regarding dates of employment which I was asked to correct and then to forward them the revised CV. Additionally I had mentioned that money was not what motivates me and I was asked questions around this matter such as what were my motivations?

I was then asked questions about my character and my professional goals for the future. I stated that I was looking for a ‘home’ where I could be able to develop upon and utilise my existing skills to build a long term future in a world renowned company such as (but preferably) Gartner. I was asked such questions as: Where do you see myself in 5 years and then in 10 years at Gartner? What famous business leader would you compare yourself / aspire to be?

We then moved on to my current knowledge of Gartner and if I could relay to the panel Gartner’s 5 Core Values – all of which I got correct as I had learnt them off by heart prior due to the importance I feel they are to a world leading company. Furthermore I was asked if I knew who Gartner’s main competitors were. I was told to go onto Gartner’s website and click on investor relations to see who their main competitors were, which I later did, discovering that they included: Forrester Research, IDC, Yankee Group, Red Monk, Ovum-Datamonitor, and the Corporate Executive Board.

Towards the end of the interview I was given the chance to ask questions of my own to the Panel about Gartner and its respective divisions as well as its strategic aims for the future regarding the Supply Chain division.

After the interview I was told to send the LCM VP a business summary of the interview in short paragraphs or bullet point format.

An hour prior to my final interview I was emailed by the VP LCM wishing me luck and informing me the final interview should go well.

3rd Stage involved me preparing a presentation regarding my current knowledge of Gartner, the position, and why I would be a great fit for the role. I was then made to present this presentation in front of the VP LCM, a Client Partner, an Area Manager of Client Partners, a LCM, the Area Manager of LCMs, and the Recruitment Manager.

However prior to the presentation, I was given a half hour interview by two more LCMs running through the position, my CV, and my interest in Gartner.

2 days later I was told by the Recruitment Manager that everyone said no to me joining the company apart from the Area Manager of LCMs. The reasons why I was unsuccessful was due to my examples given in the interview - especially around my numbers/targets.

The Verdict: I have never felt so heartbroken in my life regarding an unsuccessful interview since I really felt I was going to be successful with my strong background and the fact that the head decision maker emailed me an hour in advance to wish me well. Furthermore I really wanted the role more than anything I have ever wanted before.

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Client Partner Interview

Associate Client Partner
Egham, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gartner in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was composed from 3 phone calls and 1 panel interview, where I had to prepare a presentation, expose it and answer to questions mainly about my personality and how I face challenges. All people I met were really professional and respecting me, even if the interview proccess was really tought.

Interview Question – Many questions about my personality   Answer Question

Client Partner Interview

Client Partner
Egham, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in October 2011.

Interview Details – 3 phases - 1- recruiter by phone to get basic info and learn about my motivation, salary expectations and explain about the job. 2 - f2f interview by direct manager plus one for personal and professional background 3- panel interview with 5-6 manager, you need to present the role, 90 days work plan and why you fir to the role

Interview Question – understand what they really want in the presentation, do not copy and paste info from site, use creativity . you can get a lot of valuable info from the recruiter   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Leadership Partner Interview

Leadership Partner
Egham, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gartner in October 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Recruiter called me and we went through the initial conversation.
2. She then confirmed that I would be an excellent fit and they are looking at next steps.
3. I then received a phone call from someone else in Gartner, enquiring to whether I would relocate to the US for the Leadership Partner role.
3. After chasing the initial for over 3 weeks, receiving delayed and poor communication; I then received an email stating that although they did like my skills they did not think I was a good fit to the role. This completely contradicted previous comments!

All in all, not a good experience of the interview process and not a good impression of the organisation as a result of this.

If this is how they treat potential senior hires, how do they treat employees and customers!

Account Manager SMB Interview

Account Manager SMB
Egham, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Gartner in May 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was structured in 3 phases:
- initial call with a recruiter: she asked questions just around my drive to make money and my plans for the future (no competency based questions)
- second call with an area manager: he asked again questions around my drive to make money and the typical sales cycle - he also tried to sell Gartner to me (i.e. you can make a lot of money here, there're huge career opportunities...)
- face-to-face panel interview: simulation of a real sales meeting where I was the Account Manager and my future Area Manager was the client - be prepared to ask a lot of questions to succeed

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Egham, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Gartner in September 2010.

Interview Details – Complex and drawn out process involving coordinating the diaries of multiple individuals. HR in EMEA is clearly at the mercy of the spreadsheet jockeys in the US, who have been known to veto a lengthy interview process at the final stage because of the impact it will have on departmental performance metrics. Suffice to say many applicants are displeased to have their time wasted in this manner - but patience and tolerance will be rewarded as you could get a second chance and this is a great company to work for

Interview Question – Completed an exam question and was expected to present on it to a panel.   Answer Question

Account Executive SMB Interview

Account Executive SMB
Egham, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at Gartner.

Interview Details – One HR pre sceening, one face to face interview and one final panel interview

Interview Question – Where does your motivation comes from internally   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Account Executive Interview

Senior Account Executive
Egham, England (UK)

I interviewed at Gartner in March 2013.

Interview Details – 1st interview with Hr, then the 2 nd is more detailed going into traits which Gartner look for requiring demonstration of said traits. 3 rd interview face to face with 2 manager. Again, more demonstration of traits which becomes tedious and boring. They do not want to hear you can do job and that you are more able than they are. Choose scenarios and try not to tell the truth because the truth often reveals our true aspirations which are generally over and above these Area Manager. 3 rd interview - panel and role play. Just go in with the mentality that this is a sales situation and behave as such. They want to see you demonstration objection handling, difficult clients.

Interview Question – Why are you so competitive?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – No real career prospects.

SMB Sales Interview

SMB Sales
Egham, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in September 2012.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview + 1 face to face + 1 phone interview.
Very personal question. Recruitment process held as a sales process with a client where Gartner is the client.

Interview Question – If you want to buy a house in 3 years how much you have to earn   Answer Question

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!