Gartner Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

3.6

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

The process was very unprofessional and not handled well at all. The recruiter no-showed the first phone screen and eventually got back to me hours later about rescheduling. Our second scheduled phone screen, the recruiter was 10 minutes late. Once we finally connected, she cut me off after maybe 4 minutes, said I was not qualified for the position, and ended the call. I expected a lot more from a company like Gartner. Maybe it was the particular recruiter who was assigned to me, but overall, it left a really bad taste in my mouth how I was treated.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, then second phone interview with senior recruiter. First interview was quite easy and the second was harder. I didn't get through to the next state because I didn't have direct sales experience, but was told everything what was fine. It seems like a pretty quick process. Be sure to be prepared to link your skills and experience to the job you're applying for.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Gartner Explain your previous/current role How are you skills relevant to the role   Answer Question

Sales Role Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

The first interview was rescheduled by the sales recruiter 10 minutes before the interview was to start because she had a scheduling conflict. The sales recruiter did not call on time for the second interview and called me back after I left message for both her and the HR Rep after 15 minutes beyond the interview start time. The sales recruiter explained that she was caught up in another meeting. She then told me I was probably overqualified and should meet with someone doing the job to see if the role was a fit for me and she would have the HR Rep schedule this for me and then contact her after to schedule an interview if I was still interested. I called the HR Rep after two days and she said the sales recruiter had not told her that, but she would call her and then arrange it and get back with me. I did not hear back and decided the role was probably not for me and I was a bit surprised and disappointed by the experience at that point, especially since I have a tremendous amount of respect for Gartner as a company. I believe they must have too much going on and may need to add to their HR team. I read reviews indicating similar experiences from this company on Glassdoor. They were very nice though.

Interview Questions

• Did not really get that far since we did not get it scheduled.   Answer Question

Associate Client Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL).

Interview

Tough, 4 stage interview. First, they do a preliminary screen, then they call back for a more formal screen, then there is a phone interview with 2 hiring managers, and finally there is an on-site interview that includes a powerpoint presentation in front of a panel of roughly 5 people. They ask a lot of behavioral questions ("How did/would you handle this type of situation?") and want to see an inner drive to succeed. Everyone I talked to was as friendly as can be and made the interview process a very enjoyable experience. They give feedback after each session to help you prepare for the next round.

Client Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL).

Interview

I was contacted by two recruiters via LinkedIn. I had not filled out any application and somehow they contacted me on my work number, as well as my cell phone number and my personal and work email. They did not receive that information from me. I was scheduled for a phone interview which worked out really well and I was informed that they would call me to let me know when I could interview on site. Never received a call. I emailed and called the recruiter to no avail. Then I called the HR person that sent me the invitation email for the phone interview. To no avail. Never received an email that they decided on another candidate, etc. Eventually I just gave up. Very ridiculous thinking that I was the one who was being actively pursued. However, i heard from several employees that it's more like a fraternity and they blow through employees that don't fit in, faster than anything

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Gartner in June 2015.

Interview

Beware, if you are a seasoned sales professional that values your privacy, don't waste your time with this company. They are trying to put as many feet on the street as possible as cheaply as possible - clearly churning through candidates (and probably sales employees too). Recruiter says the "behavioral interview" is going well and concludes by demanding W2s. He stated that the process would have to end unless I agreed and tried to justify by saying that he had to validate the compensation history that I described. Keep in mind, at this stage, I haven't talked to any hiring manager yet and recruiter couldn't explain the territory effectively. I walked away.

Interview Questions

• "I think you are a good fit to move forward with the interview process....I will need you to provide your W2s for the past 5 years so that we can validate everything you said. Are you ok with that?"   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Gartner.

Interview

Contacted by intial recruiter for a 15 minute phone screen, scheduled to speak to Senior Recruiter for an hour, additional 30+ minute phone interviews with VP and Managers. Concluded with a panel interview. Complete additional information on online form. Was called day before panel interview was scheduled and told they had decided to hire from within.

Interview Questions

• When did you know you would be sucessful? Describe a time that you differentiated yourself as a sales professional. Are you currently viewed as a leader in your organization and why? Name a time you overcame obstacle? What do you like to do in free time? Why looking to leave current position?   Answer Question

Executive Partner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gartner.

Interview

I was a previous Gartner Customer looking to take my career in a different direction. Although the interview process was typical, it did give me insight into how the company is run. The job is essentially an inside sales position. When I asked the primary goal of the position, I was informed that customer retention was the only thing that the position would be measured on. Please understand I know that all businesses need to make money but there was no customer value proposition. There wasn't a clear, concise and compelling articulation of how Gartner's services are of value to a customer because the focus was on retention only. Essentially what is the bare minimum that can be done to get the customer to renew for another year of 100k worth of Gartner services. Keep the customers you have so we don't have to invest a sales persons time into developing a new client. I hope this isn't the same business practice they apply in developing their research. The first Interview is with a recruiter via phone. Then there are three separate telephone Interviews with two Executive Partners and the VP in charge of the EP's. The third and round of interviews is a panel interview. The panel interview is essentially three people being as contrary as possible, it reminded me of the lyrics to "That's All" by Phil Collins. "If I say black you say white, if I say day you say night." If you say you would like to discuss this they will say that want to discuss something else. If you get into the details of your presentation they will want to talk at a high level and vice versa. It is just 30 minutes of asking you to do the opposite of what your were initially asked to do and what you prepared for. It was really aggravating for no reason. I know Gartner believes this helps them glean insight into your inner psyche but it actually gave me insight into how Gartner is run and to let me know I needed to run in a different direction than Gartner. This experience has drastically altered my opinion of Gartner.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your time? They are very concerned that you can multitask.   Answer Question

Account Manager SMB Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Really dumb. They fly you clear to florida, and then you sit in a room and it seems like a cult. They make you introduce yourself. All they talk about is drinking and the nightlife. Real bad vibe there. Then you do a group presentation. Then you pitch your 3 minute presentation. That's as far as I got.

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner (Detroit, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

Two recruiter phone interviews and one phone interview with hiring manager. Then a face to face behavioral interview with hiring manager. Final stage was a panel interview with a sales call simulation.

Interview Questions

• If you could be mentored by someone with great experience or great knowledge which would you pick?   1 Answer