Gartner Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

3.5

Account Manager SMB Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in September 2014.

The process too about 4 weeks. I applied through an employee referral and was contacted by a recruiter from their corporate office in Stamford. This interview was pretty standard, just vetting my credentials. The next interview was over the phone with a local area recruiter, again asking about my prior work experience and trying to understand if I had the qualities that Gartner is looking for. The third phone interview was with 2 managers who questioned me about my drive, followed by a mock sales call. The last interview was an in person panel interview, consisting of a walkthrough with an existing Account Manager, a panel interview with an area manager and regional VP, and another mock sales call.

Gartner expects the absolute best from their candidates, and that is what you need to show them. They want to know that being number 1 is your top priority, and that you have a natural curiosity about the role. Ask as many questions as you can, both in the interview and in the roleplays and you should make it to the final round.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to choose between meeting 95% of your sales goal, but have 2-3 clients give you amazing feedback, or overachieving your goal by 120% with 2-3 negative feedbacks, what would you choose?   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in June 2014.

Fairly lengthy. 6-weeks in my case due to scheduling conflicts. Multiple interviews. Recruiter (phone), Recruiter again (phone), Hiring Manager (in person), Hiring Manager's Manager (phone), Hiring Manager again (in person), Hiring Manager and team (in person). Very thorough. Final panel interview consisted of a role play of a sales call with multiple people in the room acting as clients. Pretty tough process, but after accepting and then meeting my fellow new hires in our 5-week training marathon (even more brutal) it was mutually understood that Gartner's process yields results.

Interview Questions
    • Share with me an example of a time in which you were on the verge of losing a deal or a client, and explain in detail the steps that you took to rectify the situation, as well as the results of your actions.   Answer Question
    Recruiter asked salary requirements on call # 2 - I stated them - he said that he believed that he could gain that approval based on my seniority. He kept his word to the nickel.

Leadership Client Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in July 2014.

My interview with Gartner followed the format others have already outlined, so I won't bore you with the details - the process involved several telephone interviews with HR reps, people in the role, and hiring managers, followed by an in-person panel interview with the VP over the department, the hiring manager, and another manager. The panel interview required that I prepare and deliver a 20-minute presentation on myself, Gartner, the role, and why I should be chosen. I put a lot of work into it, and it was plain that the panel could tell I took it seriously.

Overall, this was the most intensive process I've gone through, and I brought a lot away from it. At every step, the interviewers provide you with feedback, and my impression was that the subsequent interviewer would compare notes to see how 'coachable' you are. They seem much more concerned with your personality and native talent than with your accomplishments or credentials, although those are still a factor.

Interview Questions
    • No single question stood out as particularly difficult or unexpected; the process itself was the difficult part. Otherwise, the interviewers seemed more interested in *how* I answered questions than in what I actually said.   Answer Question

I declined for two reasons - first, the HR rep would not send a written offer without my verbal confirmation, but also did not acknowledge my written request for some additional details regarding the compensation package and questions brought up but not resolved during the final interview, and second, because the amount offered was not enough to justify relocating across the country.

Account Manager SMB Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Gartner in May 2013.

Initially submitted my resume through a friend who was employed there. Got through 3 rounds of phone interviews before being invited to Fort Meyers for the final interview. Interviews involved sales call role-play. Building was very nice. People were friendly. Liked to atmosphere and culture. Left interview very confident, didn't end up receiving an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The role play was the most challenging aspect to the interviews.   Answer Question

Gartner Field Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Gartner.

Honest but can be brutal. I sat in an office and had 4-1 hour interviews in one day, some good, some not so good. Be prepared to have your resume picked a part, possibly harshly. Be sure to know business terms, not IT terms. Be aggressive, not afraid to challenge, they like it.

Interview Questions
    • What did you learn from me today? This was after only spending 1 hour with him and then getting grilled by four others on his team.   Answer Question

It wasn't what I thought it would be, a lot of empty responses to my ?;s

Client Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Gartner.

3 interviews + 3 phone calls with HR. The first interview involved a phone interview with an HR Representative. About a week later I received a phone call to set up both a feedback phone call with HR and a second interview with two managers from the office two days after. Another week later I heard again from HR, who scheduled a second feedback phone call and a third interview, this time at the office with a panel of 3 managers and an Area VP via teleconference. For the panel interview I was asked to prepare a 45 minute presentation regarding the position, the company and why I would be a good fit. I heard back from HR a full week later, received some great feedback, but was informed that I finished runner-up due to lack of experience (I have a year left of college), and was invited to apply again in a year.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how Gartner's services to an organization that you have worked for previously. (Not a hard question, but if you haven't prepared well you could be in trouble.)   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Gartner in June 2014.

Applied online and got contacted by internal recruiter about 2 months later. The recruiter was great! I had a great conversation with her and we agreed that my background was a good fit for the role. Twice she set me up for a phone interview with the hiring manager and twice, 20 minutes before the scheduled call, he cancelled. I finally spoke to him and detailed my background for him. He invited me to Stamford for an in person with he and another person on the team for which I was interviewing. This is where it got odd. Neither of them really asked me any questions. Most of the 90 minutes was spent listening to the person currently on the team talk about her challenges, the people on the team, etc. I offered up some of my background and where I thought I would be a good fit. It didn't even feel like an interview. Almost a month went by and I had not gotten any feedback. I pinged the recruiter, who apologized for the delay. She told me the team felt I didn't have the right background and that I talked too much about my current firm. After hearing more of her feedback I was dumbfounded because my experience in the room with the two interviewers sounded nothing like what she was relaying. I wrote the whole thing off but was overall really frustrated with the way I was treated. They are very cavalier and somewhat arrogant as a firm.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't really asked any questions. It was more of a conversation.   Answer Question

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Gartner.

The format was a case study interview with 5-10 people present in person or via teleconference. The case was very technical, but the answer was meant to drive how you approach a problem - not necessarily getting the right technical response. They were smart people with good questions and not a lot of fluff.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to imagine I was in a role that I've never been in or had any experience with and how, specifically, I would respond in a very technical situation.   Answer Question

SMB Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gartner.

There are 4 stages to this interview process as listed below:
    1. Get contacted by a recruiter/apply to the position
    2. Interview with a Sr. Recruiter
    3. Interview w/ 2 Area Managers
    4. On site Interview

Overall, this was a very mentally draining process, but if you get an offer you know you earned it. These interviews are made for you to be quick on your feet and be able to answer unexpected questions. If you have experience selling to C-levels, or B2B you should be fine. Just be yourself and like others posted, BE CURIOUS. They want you to ask a lot of questions as that is how you will be successful in the position.

Interview Questions
    • Who is your mentor and what would they say your biggest weakness is?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gartner in March 2014.

The interview process was efficient. I participated in 2 phone interviews, 2 in person interviews and 1 role play scenario interview. Interview focused on my background, my sales approach and what motivates me.

Interview Questions
    • There were no totally unexpected questions, however, the role play was probably the most difficult because it required the most preparation with a relatively short deadline and I believe was probably the most critical phase of the interview process.   Answer Question

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!