Gartner Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.6

Senior Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gartner in June 2015.

Interview

Beware, if you are a seasoned sales professional that values your privacy, don't waste your time with this company. They are trying to put as many feet on the street as possible as cheaply as possible - clearly churning through candidates (and probably sales employees too). Recruiter says the "behavioral interview" is going well and concludes by demanding W2s. He stated that the process would have to end unless I agreed and tried to justify by saying that he had to validate the compensation history that I described. Keep in mind, at this stage, I haven't talked to any hiring manager yet and recruiter couldn't explain the territory effectively. I walked away.

Interview Questions

• "I think you are a good fit to move forward with the interview process....I will need you to provide your W2s for the past 5 years so that we can validate everything you said. Are you ok with that?"   2 Answers

Account Manager SMB Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Really dumb. They fly you clear to florida, and then you sit in a room and it seems like a cult. They make you introduce yourself. All they talk about is drinking and the nightlife. Real bad vibe there. Then you do a group presentation. Then you pitch your 3 minute presentation. That's as far as I got.

Executive Partner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

I was a previous Gartner Customer looking to take my career in a different direction. Although the interview process was typical, it did give me insight into how the company is run. The job is essentially an inside sales position. When I asked the primary goal of the position, I was informed that customer retention was the only thing that the position would be measured on. Please understand I know that all businesses need to make money but there was no customer value proposition. There wasn't a clear, concise and compelling articulation of how Gartner's services are of value to a customer because the focus was on retention only. Essentially what is the bare minimum that can be done to get the customer to renew for another year of 100k worth of Gartner services. Keep the customers you have so we don't have to invest a sales persons time into developing a new client. I hope this isn't the same business practice they apply in developing their research. The first Interview is with a recruiter via phone. Then there are three separate telephone Interviews with two Executive Partners and the VP in charge of the EP's. The third and round of interviews is a panel interview. The panel interview is essentially three people being as contrary as possible, it reminded me of the lyrics to "That's All" by Phil Collins. "If I say black you say white, if I say day you say night." If you say you would like to discuss this they will say that want to discuss something else. If you get into the details of your presentation they will want to talk at a high level and vice versa. It is just 30 minutes of asking you to do the opposite of what your were initially asked to do and what you prepared for. It was really aggravating for no reason. I know Gartner believes this helps them glean insight into your inner psyche but it actually gave me insight into how Gartner is run and to let me know I needed to run in a different direction than Gartner. This experience has drastically altered my opinion of Gartner.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your time? They are very concerned that you can multitask.   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Detroit, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

Two recruiter phone interviews and one phone interview with hiring manager. Then a face to face behavioral interview with hiring manager. Final stage was a panel interview with a sales call simulation.

Interview Questions

• If you could be mentored by someone with great experience or great knowledge which would you pick?   1 Answer

Account Executive SMB Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was 4 weeks long of phone interviews and was somewhat repetitive until the last panel interview in which I drove to the Fort Myers office. The first 3 interviews were with consecutively higher level recruiters. Each of these recruiters emphasizes concise answers, persistence, enthusiasm for the job, understanding the company/position, and answering behavioral questions in a STAR format using facts and metrics. Questions should be answered in a clear, but short manner. Definitely know the relationship between the SMB position and clients. Every recruiter or hire manager I spoke with was very down to earth and easy going. Just be the best version of yourself and be sure to take notes on feedback and who you spoke with. Personally, I looked up backgrounds on LinkedIn to use in understanding a recruiters title or experiences. The last interview was a shadow interview, whiteboard session, and panel role play. You will get a chance to ask a person in your position questions about the company and preparing for the white board session, which is about relaying learned information about Gartner.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you use metrics to gauge productivity?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you assumed lead of a group or team?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

You have a couple phone interviews, then an in person interview. They make you do a PowerPoint. Sit with a present worker. Go in front of a panel. If you make it through this process you can get a job anywhere.

Research Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Gartner (Stamford, CT).

Interview

HR phone screen, phone screen with hiring manager, 3 phone screens with peers. Panel interview - write a research note, 60 minute presentation. Communication was not great during the process. Overall, I thought the process was interesting - they didn't really "tech" me out - it was much more about approach, personality, and softer skills - the panel interview was pretty brutal

Interview Questions

• What do you think of the <recent acquisition> that took place last month?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Interview

I was recruited for the position, completed 3 phone interviews and was sent to the corporate office for a final interview. When speaking with the recruiter, he mentioned one of his applicants that week didn't get in until 2am and had a 7am interview and how sorry he felt for him. Well, guess what happened to me? After a very stressful 4 day week putting in over 50 hours, I hopped on a plane Thursday evening only to get an e-mail saying the VP's schedules had changed and my interview was no longer Friday at 3pm, but 7:30am. I landed after midnight. When I was picking up my rental car one of the guys told me to "watch out for the whiteboard portion" and mentioned that they constantly have people coming in and out for interviews because they burn through employees. Got to my hotel around 2am and had to be up by 5:30 to get ready for the interview. Needless to say, I hardly slept, got up, put on a suit, and was expect to perform at the highest of my abilities. I performed poorly and I accept that; I only wish I had not gone when I saw the interview time change. I would have walked away thinking that it was a waste of my time going to Florida, but had I not known this had happened to several people before me then I wouldn't be as upset. I'm sure it's a fine company which is why I went to the interview even though I'm completely content with my current job, but they need to realize when they set people up for failure.

Interview Questions

• They explained a scenario and asked me to 'sell the idea' using the white board.   Answer Question

Principal Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Stamford, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Met many people, mostly on the phone, starting with HR, then hiring manager, then peers, and finally boss. It was a very informal process, with the interview being more like conversations. It seemed that while they took it seriously, I could not. They did not seem to have a really clear position description or salary scale om which to base an offer, but rather based salary offer on prior salary (a red flag to me as it suggests that people doing the same job do not get paid the same money).

Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Gartner (Stamford, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone screening by recruiter, then one-on-one phone call with manager, request for writing samples, one-hour timed writing test with materials they gave me, panel interview with three people attending asking questions on writing and project management

Interview Questions

• How do you convince an analyst to work with you?   1 Answer