Gartner Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

3.6

Account Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gartner.

Reached out to recruiter and got set up for interview. In-person with Sales VP, then silence for a few weeks. Followed up with recruiter and was told they decided to put hold on hiring. A month later they called and wanted me to come right in. Interviewed with several more people, was offered the role same day.

Interview Questions
    • Had to do an actual sales presentation for them. Not difficult, but I thought it was a creative way of "sampling the goods".   View Answer
    Accepted offer without negotiating - ample base and the upside was good. I wanted the job.

Client Partner Role Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Gartner.

Extremely unprofessional! The recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn, and now I see why most hiring processes are ineffective! She contacted me, then we rescheduled our appointment and asked me about my experience and background. Our conversation seemed to go great and then she asked to receive my resume. She sent me a ton of info about the company, the position, relocation, and news regarding Gartner. She told me that she will contact me in a couple of days, but that didn't happen. Instead I received this very generic email, as if I applied. Guess my suspicions were confirmed because that was a huge red flag for me. I live in Miami (the position is in Ft Myers) and I only wanted to hear about the opportunity. Everything that was on my resume, we already spoke about and honestly I wasn't going to accept because I did my research. WARNING: they promise you a salary and then about 20k more which you will never receive. That department has a very high turnover (not surprised) and don't trust anything they tell you because its all a lie. I know because I already asked Client Partner employees on LinkedIn and quite a few gave me the true insight.

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner.

Text book and exactly what you want the process to be! At the end of the interview process I felt like I was good friends with the recruiter. 4 steps but you are very well coached and walked through what to expect throughout the entire process. Everyone you meet or talk to along the way is super friendly, open and honest and upfront. Gartner is the best and expects the best so be confident, do your researching ask question, ask questions, ask questions! As you should always be in life, be open to and ask for feedback.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any. I was prepped on what to expect throughout the entire process. I always knew what was coming but I did a ton of preparing and research the company and the position ahead of time.   Answer Question

The commute and lack of flexibility in working remotely. It just didn't work out for my family and current life situation. But Other then that sounded like an amazing company and opportunity. I hope our paths cross again someday.

Fulltime Rotation for Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner in November 2014.

My hiring process is very pleasant. I stopped by Garner booth at the school job fair. Everyone is very friendly. They answer all my questions and explained about their Rotation program. Within a month, I was contacted and given phone interview. They just asked about your general information. After they schedule me for an onsite interview at their head quarter in Stamford CT. Since it's 3 hours drive from my house, they booked a hotel for me the night before which was my luxury and pleasant. I have to pre-paid for the hotel and later reimburse by Gartner.

Interview process is 4 hours long. There's a one hour long coding exam. The exam have 5 questions that can be solved using any language you like. 2 interviews with 2 department heads. They ask general technical questions such as object oriented program, testing technique, and language specific (mine is Java). And one last interview with the hiring director. The exam and technical questions are pretty straight forward and easy if you know your stuff. Every interviewers are very friendly and awesome.

Interview Questions
    • They asked puzzle questions like, if you have 5 gallon bucket and a 3 gallon bucket, how do you get 4 gallon of water... I'm not sure if incorrect answer effect your chance of landing the job.   Answer Question
    Their compensation package was very generous. I didn't negotiate.

Associate Client Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Gartner.

Tough interview questions but overall positive experience. I would be prepared with knowledge of the company and what it does. Have a knowledge of their core values.

Interview Questions
    • How would your college benefit from gartner's services?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner in September 2014.

Received a phone call from a recruiter and after a 5 min discussion I agreed to take 30 minutes the following week to hear more about what he had to say and I would send him my resume in the meantime. On the next call he asked about my experience, reasons I would leave current company, etc, and he decided to move me to the next round which would be speaking with a Sr Recruiter a few days later. After my conversation with the Sr Recruiter, we hit it off and he decided it was time to have a call with the hiring manager and see if we clicked. The call with the hiring manager was a week later and went well. We just had basic conversations where I could tell he was seeing how I carried myself in casual conversation as well as some generic interview questions; strengths, weaknesses, etc. From there, he wanted me to speak with his boss, the VP. I spoke with him within a couple days of the hiring manager and we too hit it off. He asked some more in depth questions about me as a salesperson and had me describe how I would handle certain scenarios such as difficult clients, etc. From there he recommended we go into a face to face panel interview and continue the process.

For the panel I was given 1 paragraph of info saying I was meeting with a CIO for the first time and they had a neutral experience with Gartner, as well as a few key stats. When I got to the interview, the hiring manager played the CIO and the VP played the CFO (who there was no mention of being present in the scenario). The addition of the CFO was to see how you handle change. The Sr Recruiter was dialed into the conference room as well. The role play was difficult. They made you buckle down and see how you work under pressure. They threw up objections to almost everything as well as tried to guide the conversation into rat holes. My objective was to understand their business initiatives and priorities and leave with clear action items. Make sure you do a time check when you begin the role play to see how long they have allotted. Mine lasted about 20 minutes and I was drained by the time it was over. When we finished, they asked how I thought it went, and I told them I thought it was ok, not great, and they thought I did pretty well. From there we went into 90 minutes of interview including everything from situation handling to pitching something I had previously sold, to more personal things. I could tell they wanted to make sure I had work/life balance. When I thought the interview was over, the VP asked me to either explain, or draw on the white board, who I am, however I choose to do it. No further instruction. What? As I walked to the whiteboard, my brain already drained from the interview and role play, I came up with something that didn't make a ton of sense but then I had to explain it to them. I think this was, again, a way to test you on your toes and how you adapt to change. From there we wrapped the pleasantries and parted ways and they told me they planned to make a decision within the next week and a half. I left pretty confident that I did not do enough to get an offer.

The next day I spoke with the recruiter and he said he I did really well but at that point it was up to the manager and VP. I did the typical follow up emails to them and got a basic thank you one liner back from the VP. A week later I got a call from the hiring manager. He wanted to discuss how I thought I did, what I would do differently, and what my general thoughts were about the position. After about 10 minutes of talking and me thinking I was about to get the "sorry, we went another direction" spiel, he said he wanted to offer me the position. I was elated, albeit a little surprised. Something he said that resonated with me was that I am a professional salesperson, not a professional interviewer, and that shined through.

From there, I got a call back from HR and we discussed logistics of an offer as well as potential start dates. We had already discussed compensation ranges as well as potential start dates on previous calls so this was nothing new. It took what seemed to be an eternity, about 5 business days, to get a written offer in hand. They called me before sending me the offer and more or less wanted me to confirm I would be accepting the offer before they would send it over. He even wanted me to click accept within 30 minutes of him sending it. I assume they did not want to be used as leverage for me to stay at my then current employer. I planned to take the offer either way but found this a bit odd. After accepting the offer online, I had to fill out about a dozen forms which included background check etc. Even after accepting, they did not want me to turn in my notice to my employer until all the checks had cleared and they gave me the greenlight. This process was handled by a 3rd party and took about a week, which was way too long for what it was.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness. And another? And another? And another? They continued on until I changed the topic and were trying to see how far I would go.   Answer Question
    We had done the negotiating on a small range earlier in the process and they stuck to it. There was no wiggle room on the offer and no sign on bonus either. Take it or leave it.

SMB Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gartner.

Was found by a recruiter...had initial conversation with him (told me more about the company)... after conversation set up phone interview with head recruiter, asked about experience level and basic sales questions, moved on to next phone interview with two area managers..again basic sales questions with short (about 10 min.) phone role play. Role play didn't have anything to do with Gartner, more wanted to see how you set up a sales call, ASK QUESTIONS, and set up next steps.

Final round was flown to FL to shadow account manager for about 45 min. (this is the time to ask any questions you may still have!), then met with area manager and vice president. Not asked any real sales questions anymore...asked to present what I knew about the role and about the company. After "presenting" had a 15-20 min role play with both area manager and VP, they left the room and I called them as they listened on speaker phone. This role play had to do with a previous customer w/ Gartner. Don't try to sell them anything!! BE CURIOUS, ABLE TO ADAPT, CONFIDENT. After each interview round they will give feedback and advice-work on this feedback to prepare for final interview, as they will look at past notes to see if you have improved.

Interview Questions
    • STAR questions, tell me about a time you collaborated with someone on your team, time you took the lead, get to the point with answers!   Answer Question

Inside Sales Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner in October 2014.

Long, repeat phone calls with different people, then finally after 4-5 calls an in person interview that is also a role play that was poorly planned, badly executed and had conflicting instructions. Having a contrived situation that is not real is not the way to evaluate a senior level sales executive, this is for kids.

Interview Questions
    • The role play was contrived, it was confusing since the instructions were contradictory   View Answer

Not enough money, strange culture

Account Manager SMB Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Gartner in September 2014.

The process too about 4 weeks. I applied through an employee referral and was contacted by a recruiter from their corporate office in Stamford. This interview was pretty standard, just vetting my credentials. The next interview was over the phone with a local area recruiter, again asking about my prior work experience and trying to understand if I had the qualities that Gartner is looking for. The third phone interview was with 2 managers who questioned me about my drive, followed by a mock sales call. The last interview was an in person panel interview, consisting of a walkthrough with an existing Account Manager, a panel interview with an area manager and regional VP, and another mock sales call.

Gartner expects the absolute best from their candidates, and that is what you need to show them. They want to know that being number 1 is your top priority, and that you have a natural curiosity about the role. Ask as many questions as you can, both in the interview and in the roleplays and you should make it to the final round.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to choose between meeting 95% of your sales goal, but have 2-3 clients give you amazing feedback, or overachieving your goal by 120% with 2-3 negative feedbacks, what would you choose?   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gartner in September 2014.

Referred by a friend and professional contact, so first two interviews were friendly and exploratory. Did not advance beyond HR conversations based on misalignment on compensation. HR was straightforward about the inability to meet my requirements.