Gartner Senior Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2015
Updated Mar 3, 2015

3.3

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gartner in September 2014.

Referred by a friend and professional contact, so first two interviews were friendly and exploratory. Did not advance beyond HR conversations based on misalignment on compensation. HR was straightforward about the inability to meet my requirements.

Other Interview Reviews for Gartner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Gartner in June 2014.

Fairly lengthy. 6-weeks in my case due to scheduling conflicts. Multiple interviews. Recruiter (phone), Recruiter again (phone), Hiring Manager (in person), Hiring Manager's Manager (phone), Hiring Manager again (in person), Hiring Manager and team (in person). Very thorough. Final panel interview consisted of a role play of a sales call with multiple people in the room acting as clients. Pretty tough process, but after accepting and then meeting my fellow new hires in our 5-week training marathon (even more brutal) it was mutually understood that Gartner's process yields results.

Interview Questions
    • Share with me an example of a time in which you were on the verge of losing a deal or a client, and explain in detail the steps that you took to rectify the situation, as well as the results of your actions.   Answer Question
    Recruiter asked salary requirements on call # 2 - I stated them - he said that he believed that he could gain that approval based on my seniority. He kept his word to the nickel.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Gartner.

Recruiter screens applicants; sets up call with the hiring manager; required to interview with three people and all must approve. Company looks for well rounded individuals who can communicate the value of Gartner. Will need a good, overall understanding of technology, governance, role of CIO and direct reports. Helps to understand the function of governance, cloud computing, SaaS, why projects succeed and fail.

Interview Questions
    • Demo presenting the value of Gartner to a prospect.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gartner.

There are 6 rounds to the interview process. 4 Phone calls, 1:1 interview with the Regional VP, and panel interview, presentation style. Hiring manager invited me to proceed to round 5 of the process. 3 days later I received an email advising my candidacy will not longer be considered.

Interview Questions
    • You are performing well in your current well. Why the change?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner in March 2014.

The interview process was efficient. I participated in 2 phone interviews, 2 in person interviews and 1 role play scenario interview. Interview focused on my background, my sales approach and what motivates me.

Interview Questions
    • There were no totally unexpected questions, however, the role play was probably the most difficult because it required the most preparation with a relatively short deadline and I believe was probably the most critical phase of the interview process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner in January 2014.

There were a total of 4 interviews which included 2 phone screenings, 1 phone interview with the hiring manager and a final role-play in front of a panel.

Interview Questions
    • In every interview they are extremely interested in knowing what drives you as a person. The will continuously ask you this in each step of the process.   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner.

There were 2 screening interviews with HR, 30 minutes each asking basic questions about background, why want to work for Gartner, past successes, etc. Then phone meeting with regional sales leadership, then last interview was an in person "role play" where they sent you a customer scenario in advance and you had to show up to the meeting (interview) and role play with the client, explain the Gartner service and value proposition at a high level and then ask questions to understand the client needs, key initiatives and suggest a way for Gartner to demonstrate how they could help with a key initiative as a proof of concept.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected. Typical questions in screening interview. The role play was most important to research the client initiatives in advance so you are familiar with the lingo.   Answer Question
    I negotiated and got what I asked for. Anyone in sales should negotiate!

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gartner in March 2013.

The interview process was pretty straight forward. I spent a lot of time at Gartner for the first session just overviewing my industry experience and where I have had success. They have recently changed their interview process from what I understand and I really liked the process. The only downside is the travel out to Stamford, CT from New York. It takes a bit of time. With that stated the office is very nice and quiet. $40 roughly for the roundtrip with cab (if you are without a car.)

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was not questions... more so the role play. Even this was not difficult given my preparation for the session. Got a few softballs which left me open to take full advantage of more opportunities that I did not jump on.   Answer Question

Had another offer at a vendor which represented higher OTE potential. Overall I must say I was very impressed with Gartner in general. Great company.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gartner in February 2013.

Inspiring interview with Recruiter, followed by an equally positive phone screen with the Area Manager.

Interview Questions
    • The Area Manager literally read from a script throughout the entire interview, with some rather perfunctory questions, in an almost robotic plus sterile delivery. I did not see one inch of sales skill from this person, so the sterility and rather arrogant interview style was a insulting.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gartner in May 2012.

Contacted by a Gartner internal recruiter who saw my profile on LinkedIn. We spoke for one hour. Very detailed review of my work history and my style of selling. Second phone interview with a more senior recruiter. Same style of interview.

Next step was to have a face-to-face interview with hiring manager. Neither recruiter called me back nor answer any of my several, but politely spaced emails over several weeks. They just blew me off...

Interview Questions
    • Very straightforward. Deep probing into details of past accomplishments was more annoying than difficult.   Answer Question