Gartner

3.5

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Fulltime Rotation for Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner in November 2014.

My hiring process is very pleasant. I stopped by Garner booth at the school job fair. Everyone is very friendly. They answer all my questions and explained about their Rotation program. Within a month, I was contacted and given phone interview. They just asked about your general information. After they schedule me for an onsite interview at their head quarter in Stamford CT. Since it's 3 hours drive from my house, they booked a hotel for me the night before which was my luxury and pleasant. I have to pre-paid for the hotel and later reimburse by Gartner.

Interview process is 4 hours long. There's a one hour long coding exam. The exam have 5 questions that can be solved using any language you like. 2 interviews with 2 department heads. They ask general technical questions such as object oriented program, testing technique, and language specific (mine is Java). And one last interview with the hiring director. The exam and technical questions are pretty straight forward and easy if you know your stuff. Every interviewers are very friendly and awesome.

Interview Questions
    • They asked puzzle questions like, if you have 5 gallon bucket and a 3 gallon bucket, how do you get 4 gallon of water... I'm not sure if incorrect answer effect your chance of landing the job.   Answer Question
    Their compensation package was very generous. I didn't negotiate.

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner.

The format was a case study interview with 5-10 people present in person or via teleconference. The case was very technical, but the answer was meant to drive how you approach a problem - not necessarily getting the right technical response. They were smart people with good questions and not a lot of fluff.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to imagine I was in a role that I've never been in or had any experience with and how, specifically, I would respond in a very technical situation.   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gartner in June 2014.

Applied online and got contacted by internal recruiter about 2 months later. The recruiter was great! I had a great conversation with her and we agreed that my background was a good fit for the role. Twice she set me up for a phone interview with the hiring manager and twice, 20 minutes before the scheduled call, he cancelled. I finally spoke to him and detailed my background for him. He invited me to Stamford for an in person with he and another person on the team for which I was interviewing. This is where it got odd. Neither of them really asked me any questions. Most of the 90 minutes was spent listening to the person currently on the team talk about her challenges, the people on the team, etc. I offered up some of my background and where I thought I would be a good fit. It didn't even feel like an interview. Almost a month went by and I had not gotten any feedback. I pinged the recruiter, who apologized for the delay. She told me the team felt I didn't have the right background and that I talked too much about my current firm. After hearing more of her feedback I was dumbfounded because my experience in the room with the two interviewers sounded nothing like what she was relaying. I wrote the whole thing off but was overall really frustrated with the way I was treated. They are very cavalier and somewhat arrogant as a firm.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't really asked any questions. It was more of a conversation.   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gartner.

There are 6 rounds to the interview process. 4 Phone calls, 1:1 interview with the Regional VP, and panel interview, presentation style. Hiring manager invited me to proceed to round 5 of the process. 3 days later I received an email advising my candidacy will not longer be considered.

Interview Questions
    • You are performing well in your current well. Why the change?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Gartner.

Lengthy process, could take several weeks where you are interviewed by 5-10 people.

Interview Questions
    • Dealling with different groups in the interview with conflict of interests and different management styles   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Gartner in March 2014.

Very professional and punctual. Applied online, and was contacted a week or two after. Had several chats with an HR rep over the phone going over the company's background, my background, and the overall hiring process. HR rep also prepped me well for an interview onsite with multiple people who I would be working with/under. Promptly got an offer within a few days, conditional on background check, which was outsourced to another company.

Was looking to get a job quickly, as I was unemployed, I was pretty much made to give a first offer which they agreed to quickly (I lowballed them).

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner in November 2013.

It started with a phone interview with an HR person. Next round was a phone interview with the hiring manager. The third round included 2 interviews with other managers at the company and then a final interview with the hiring manager that included a presentation and some role play exercises. Overall, it was a pretty difficult and lengthy process. May have been worth it if an offer was made, but lost out to someone with and MBA and 2 more years of experience. Seems like a great company though.

Interview Questions
    • Given random sets of data and asked to identify key trends and most important pieces   Answer Question

Product Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Gartner in November 2013.

Five interviews over the course of three months + 1 month for final decision. Phone Screen + several face to face meetings.

Interview Questions
    • Many behavioral questions / executive meetings were very challenging and difficult to prepare for. Emphasis on quick thinking and analysis of problem solving skills.   Answer Question

Recruiting Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gartner.

Was referred by internal Gartner employee. Set up my first phone screen that Friday, and was requested to meet in person the following Wednesday. Accepted Gartner's offer the following Wednesday.

The process took just under two weeks to complete. It was a fairly quick process, but everyone was very friendly and amiable.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a question about my method of creating cross-functional relationships across different departments of a particular company.   Answer Question
    No need to negotiate. It was a good offer.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gartner in September 2013.

Submitted a resume via the Gartner website on a Friday evening. Received a callback from the recruiter on Monday. She asked about my skills, how I heard about Gartner, why I wanted to work here. She told me a little bit about Gartner employee benefits and the salary they wanted to pay. My skills/resume was such a close match with the job description and I was very excited to be called. The HR recruiter was a delight. Very charming and put me at ease immediately. Great person to speak with and she represented Gartner in a very professional manner.

It took only a few days to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. Right at the beginning of the phone interview, even before I could open my mouth to say anything, I could tell the hiring manager was just 'not that into me'.

After a few opening remarks, I was told that the job description had changed and they were really looking for something different. The manager played it off as though this happens all the time and it was no big deal. I tried to ask for specifics on what they were looking for but got very vague answers. This was one of those interviews where they were going through the motions. I had the distinct impression they were already set on hiring someone else.

I found it very rude that during a brief 30 minute interview the hiring manager was messaging someone online. I realize that this is one of the tell-tale signs they are not interested, however I still found it rude.

After the 30 minute interview was over, I was grateful to be off the phone. I was not impressed. This manager was not someone I would have liked to work for.

I am grateful for the opportunity for the interview because one can always learn something by the process. However, it really left a bad taste in my mouth for the company.

A few days later I received a very nice, polite and professional email from HR, explaining that the position was filled. I appreciated the email letting me know the status.
    It also confirmed what I already sensed during the interview -- Someone else was already selected and they were probably waiting for acceptance of the offer around the same time that I had my interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing was not a question but a statement.....The job description has changed. The job listing is old and doesn't apply anymore.   View Answer