Gartner

Very Difficult Interview

Client Partner Interview

Client Partner
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Gartner in February 2014.

Interview Details – Very long and detailed process. I had in total five interviews, four at the phone and one final panel interview (presentation in front of senior management). Overall the experience was very positive, the recruiter was very helpful to make me understand what to focus on to be successful so ask a lot of questions to your recruiter! They love driven and positive people, so don't be shy and show them you want to know more. Be curious.

Interview Question – Tell us more about how you organize yourself - time management. Tell us all your metrics of the last year (commission, targets etc).   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Gartner in October 2013.

Interview Details – Head hunted by internal recruitment team and went through 4 stages before first face 2 face interview.
Very thorough and interesting process; looked for candidate to take initiative at each stage and close the interviewer.

Interview Question – what is your sense of purpose? what drives you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was non-negotiable

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at Gartner.

Interview Details – Very professional interview process. All references were checked, 1 interview after screening with agency, 2 interviews by management, including direct report. The recruitment agency also run 3 graphology test, but that was more related to its own policy rather than the company request. The focus was more focus on character and profile, once the skills set was checked.

Interview Question – In some case, there are case studies, and analysts as part of the just tend to compete with each other for the "smarter" questions   Answer Question

Client Executive Interview

Client Executive
Egham, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in December 2012.

Interview Details – Telephone interview with recruitment
1st panel interview Face to Face with 6 people
2nd panel interview Face to Face with 6 people including a presentation

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was a little bit painful. The salaries are not high at Gartner compared with other IT sales roles and I felt like I was being "bartered down" all the time which made me feel devalued. However they offer all the standard perks that come with working for a US company and the Private Health scheme is second to none - focused more on wellbeing and perks associated with gym membership, sports equipment etc

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
London, England (UK)

I interviewed at Gartner in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interview process was very clear!
The are looking for people that are driven and want to make money.

1. recruiter at Gartner interview by phone
2. recruitment Manager interview by phone
3. area manager phone interview
4 face to face with area manager
5. area manager and vp of sales face to face meeting.

Interview Question – why should we hire you?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Don't like the company culture

Very Easy Interview

Sales Director Interview

Sales Director
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Gartner in January 2013.

Interview Details – Awful, I had a job offer with them the day i hand in my notice with my current firm, they retract the offer, leaving me without a job and recourse

Interview Question – What's been your best sale   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Awful, I had a job offer with them the day i had in my notice with my current firm, they retract the offer, leaving me unemployed

Leadership Client Manager Interview

Leadership Client Manager
Egham, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in December 2013.

Interview Details – 1st Stage involved phone interview with Recruitment Manager, going over my CV and reasons why I am interested in the position.

2nd Stage was a face to face with the VP LCM, Area Manager of LCMs, and a LCM.

The format of the 2nd Stage Interview was as follows:

We started the interview by going through my CV, covering such questions as: Why did I do a Philosophy degree? Why were my main responsibilities and duties for each of my past employers? What were the reasons for leaving each employer? Why did I choose to start up my own business?

It was noted that my CV had a couple of typing mistakes regarding dates of employment which I was asked to correct and then to forward them the revised CV. Additionally I had mentioned that money was not what motivates me and I was asked questions around this matter such as what were my motivations?

I was then asked questions about my character and my professional goals for the future. I stated that I was looking for a ‘home’ where I could be able to develop upon and utilise my existing skills to build a long term future in a world renowned company such as (but preferably) Gartner. I was asked such questions as: Where do you see myself in 5 years and then in 10 years at Gartner? What famous business leader would you compare yourself / aspire to be?

We then moved on to my current knowledge of Gartner and if I could relay to the panel Gartner’s 5 Core Values – all of which I got correct as I had learnt them off by heart prior due to the importance I feel they are to a world leading company. Furthermore I was asked if I knew who Gartner’s main competitors were. I was told to go onto Gartner’s website and click on investor relations to see who their main competitors were, which I later did, discovering that they included: Forrester Research, IDC, Yankee Group, Red Monk, Ovum-Datamonitor, and the Corporate Executive Board.

Towards the end of the interview I was given the chance to ask questions of my own to the Panel about Gartner and its respective divisions as well as its strategic aims for the future regarding the Supply Chain division.

After the interview I was told to send the LCM VP a business summary of the interview in short paragraphs or bullet point format.

An hour prior to my final interview I was emailed by the VP LCM wishing me luck and informing me the final interview should go well.

3rd Stage involved me preparing a presentation regarding my current knowledge of Gartner, the position, and why I would be a great fit for the role. I was then made to present this presentation in front of the VP LCM, a Client Partner, an Area Manager of Client Partners, a LCM, the Area Manager of LCMs, and the Recruitment Manager.

However prior to the presentation, I was given a half hour interview by two more LCMs running through the position, my CV, and my interest in Gartner.

2 days later I was told by the Recruitment Manager that everyone said no to me joining the company apart from the Area Manager of LCMs. The reasons why I was unsuccessful was due to my examples given in the interview - especially around my numbers/targets.

The Verdict: I have never felt so heartbroken in my life regarding an unsuccessful interview since I really felt I was going to be successful with my strong background and the fact that the head decision maker emailed me an hour in advance to wish me well. Furthermore I really wanted the role more than anything I have ever wanted before.

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Client Partner Interview

Associate Client Partner
Egham, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gartner in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was composed from 3 phone calls and 1 panel interview, where I had to prepare a presentation, expose it and answer to questions mainly about my personality and how I face challenges. All people I met were really professional and respecting me, even if the interview proccess was really tought.

Interview Question – Many questions about my personality   Answer Question

Client Partner Interview

Client Partner
Egham, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Gartner in October 2011.

Interview Details – 3 phases - 1- recruiter by phone to get basic info and learn about my motivation, salary expectations and explain about the job. 2 - f2f interview by direct manager plus one for personal and professional background 3- panel interview with 5-6 manager, you need to present the role, 90 days work plan and why you fir to the role

Interview Question – understand what they really want in the presentation, do not copy and paste info from site, use creativity . you can get a lot of valuable info from the recruiter   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

Interviewed at Gartner

Interview Details – It was not easy. 3 round interview asking a lot of questions

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!