Gartner Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 26, 2015

3.6

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gartner.

Interview

I applied online and then had two telephone interviews with the Recruitment team followed by a face to face interview with the hiring manager and a colleague

In principal, Gartner has a thorough screening process but it was apparent that the second recruiter was out of his depth when trying to arrange a convenient meeting with the hiring manager and myself. I also felt that I had to overdo the follow-up with this recruiter in order to achieve the face to face interview after being given a professional welcome and initial interview by his female colleague. I got the distinct impression that the hiring manager 'pulled the strings' and I was beholden to Gartner for interviewing me! Not the case!!

The interview with the hiring manager seemed to go well and I was asked both the usual type of interview questions plus some challenging ones which I enjoyed. Unfortunately it seems that Gartner wants 'perfect' candidates and whilst being a major player it should show some humility when interviewing experienced sales professionals. Feedback following the interview was limited and another negative indication of the business maturity of the male recruiter.

Account Executive SMB Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Gartner (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

After an email confirmation, first initial call is to ask a few personal question and to arrange first telephone interview. there aren't many question it is basically an initial conversation. The recruiter describes the company, what are you going to be selling, to who and how.

Interview Questions

• What kind of positions are you looking for?
      Why that position?
      Where do you live?
      Do you drive?

Answer Question

Account Manager SMB Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gartner (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview was very on point, even though they are very nice and easy to talk to they make clear that they expect you to really want this job and that you're really prepared for the interview.

Senior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for a Sr. Researcher role 2 weeks back and an internal recruiter fixed a telephonic interview. During the interview, I realized that he has not even bothered to go through my CV to get an understanding of my experience before scheduling an interview and was talking about a completely different role (which I didn't even apply for). Basically, I applied for X role and he was talking about role Y (which was poles apart from my experience).

This makes me think that the firm has inefficient bunch of recruiters who are unaware of the basics of hiring people. It was a complete waste of time and terrible experience for me. SHAME ON THEM

Advice: If you get an email from an internal recruiter please double check the role for which they are calling you or else be prepared for a disaster.

Client Partner Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Gartner in March 2015.

Interview

Quite a long hiring process. I had 3 initial phone interviews with their internal recruiter to then face 2 stages of face to face interviews. I didn't think the face to face interview was particularly well structured and also lament the fact that they only seemed to have looked at my CV there and then. All in all though a good experience and good practise.

Executive Client Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)).

Interview

Five stage process.
    1- call with internal recruiter
    2- call with recruitment manager
    3- face to face with manager plus future colleague
    4- call with line manager
    5- panel presentation + interview

Exhaustative and unnecessarily over complicated.

Interview Questions

• when speaking with HR I was asked about background and how I dealt with certain scenarios.

When speaking with line management there was poor structure and questions were simplistic.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Minimal. Very little available.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gartner in January 2015.

Interview

My experience overall was a positive one, but for the sake of ease the positive and negative aspects of the process are outlined below:

Positive:

- Incredibly efficient. I was emailed within minutes of submitting my CV, an initial phone screen took place the next day, followed by two further telephone interviews (one with HR, one with Manager) over the following two days.

- Both HR and Managers do their very best to give you both positive and negative (but constructive) feedback through the course of the process. This gives you clear areas to focus on at the next stage and an opportunity to control your own destiny.

- They claim that they want every candidate to come away from the experience, whether successful or not, having learned something about themselves. I'd say that they achieved this aim with me. I found it challenging and it forced me to think a great deal about what I want from my job and career.

Negative:

- I didn't feel there was a huge amount done to convince me why I should be joining them. The process was incredibly one sided toward ascertaining if I was a fit for them and not vice versa. Despite saying that you need to push for information etc. I don't feel management were particularly clear about what the culture is like, what the career opportunities are etc. I actually asked them what makes Gartner a great place to work and the answer was full of platitudes.

- It's all a bit serious! This process could be 10x more fun if they let people express themselves a bit more. I don't feel like I got to know the managers or recruiters I spoke to at all, which to me is a really important part of an interview process. I also don't think they really got to know me at all, which, if it applies to all candidates, seems a pretty risky hiring policy.

Interview Questions

• Has anyone ever given you advice at work that you've disagreed with? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gartner in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through their website as intern/graduate and uploaded my CV. Received an email after a couple of weeks, inviting me for a phone call. After scheduled the phone call through emails I received also a job spec for the role I had been considered.

The phone call was an informal interview going in general about my understanding of the company, the role, my previous experience related to customer service. Received an extremely high amount of information about the company and the role.Outlined the step the recruitment process (1. formal phone interview, 2. interview with 2 managers, 3. and further interview with a panel of managers) Duration almost an hour.

Received an additional email with advice about how to prepare for the next stage. At the formal phone interview covered surprisingly again understanding of the firm and the role, how do you keep informed about IT trends, and competency type of question, which the email highlighted to prepare. Duration almost an hour.

I will be receiving feedback after a week from the interview. Did not pass to the other stages.

SMB Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Was first contacted by the talent sourcing manager 6 months ago when I wasn't ready for new opportunities. Been following Gartner since then as I am using a lot of reports from Gartner as part of my current job responsibilities. Always had a good impression of Gartner as good company and contacted the same sourcing manager to discuss existing opportunities. He was very nice and seemed switched on. He was helpful too and prepared me well for the next step which was a phone interview with a recruitment manager. Boy, she bored me to death with her dull questions, and here awful voice drove me mad. The most tedious and meaningless interview experience I've ever had. It just felt horrid to be judged by someone who very likely was way less intelligent than me. If you get these bad feelings at an early stage, run away. That's my advice. Only fools can be part of this organisation. With their awful selection process I wouldn't be surprised if the turnover was high at this organisation, and I am glad they didn't get back to me. It saved me lots of energy and time. The next steps would have been another phone interview with a hiring manager, face-to-face with the hiring manager (again) and some area manager, last but not least a panel interview with a bunch of half wits probably. Just the thought of going through this process makes me shiver and I learned to appreciate where I am in life and what I have.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions really. Only unpleasant interaction with the recruitment manager. Didn't bother to make a good impression.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

Faultless. Everyone knew their role and it was executed perfectly. very impressive and everyone was always on time They have clearly taken time to plan and review their recruiting strategy. It was also very mutual and I was encouraged to make sure I get what I want from the meetings.