Gatan

Relevance Date Difficulty

Applications Engineer Interview

Applications Engineer
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Gatan in November 2008.

Interview Details – I was recommended for a position by a current, at the time, employee. I interviewed initially with my soon to be boss. I was scheduled to come back at a later date for a formal interview.

This interview was with 4 current employees ranging from marketing, to engineering, to sales. It was mixed as 2 interviewers were very technical and the other 2 were more casual. This was a one day process that took about 3 hours. A couple of the interviewers were people that I didn't end up working with directly and were there to get a general idea about character and professionalism, the 2 casual interviewers. The other 2 interviewers got more into general knowledge about the company's products and understanding of responsibilities associated with the position. None of the questions were too specific as it is understood there would be a significant amount of training needed for any candidate, regardless of employment history or education.

All interviews were 1 on 1in the employees office or a small conference room. The overall process was very casual and it was easy to tell by the interviewers attire what the atmosphere of the office would be like. I dressed nicely but could tell I would feel comfortable in jeans and a collared shirt.

One of the interviewers consistently asked the most technical/difficult questions. She was very brief with the questions and wanted me to do all the talking which makes sense. She was very open at the end of the interview that she enjoyed our time and luckily she had the most pull out of the 4 interviewers regarding whether I would receive an offer or not. Ultimately, the decision came down to my future boss and I've had 4 good years since.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I only had 2 years of work experience and didn't feel comfortable with negotiating. The initial offer was a significant increase from my current job and I was very happy. While it was a nice pay increase, it is fair to say that I took a relatively low paying job right after school(but offering excellent experience) and this was more putting me where I was supposed to be salary wise.

Worked for Gatan? Contribute to the Community!