GateHouse Media Interview Questions

Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.7

Multi Media Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scranton, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GateHouse Media (Scranton, PA).

Interview

Not very challenging. Rather simple and unclear about other opportunities. Interviewers were friendly and professional, but lacked any direction in applying skills to a specific positions. Building and environment were old and unkempt.

Negotiation

Low pay...little opportunity

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at GateHouse Media in September 2014.

Interview

We had to interview for the jobs we were already doing when they bought the newspaper. the primary focus was on digital applications, digital knowledge and how we were going to convert our customers

Interview Questions

• the extent of knowledge in social media based products   Answer Question

Negotiation

there was no negotiation. i was grateful to still have my same job

Sports Editor Interview

Interview

One interview with managing editor and one with department editor

Designer Level I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online for the position and got a phone call a few days later. The call was basically a pre-interview screening with the corporate design director, including the typical interview questions (what are your strengths/weaknesses, how would your friends describe you, why gatehouse media/this job?). We also discussed the pay rate for this position (26-28k, seemed pretty non-negotiable). I was told at the end of that phone call that they would be calling me in for an interview the next week.

I interviewed with the corporate design director and the general manager of the local office. The design director asked me more interview-y questions, and then I went in another room for the skills test part of the interview. It was half copy-editing basically, and half an InDesign test. The InDesign test was to lay out the front page of a newspaper in 20 minutes, which they made very clear was just a sort of "we want to see what you can do in this time, you wouldn't be given this deadline on the job" situation. The copy-editing bit was 3 different pages of grammar/editing worksheets basically. Point out the spelling errors, fix grammar issues, some MLA formatting stuff.

After that I talked with the general manager, answered some of his questions, and left. Overall, the interview seemed pretty simple/easy, but I'll hear back a few weeks so I guess I'll see.

Interview Questions

• Wasn't really unexpected, but hard to answer. They asked a couple different questions about the newspaper business and how it's basically on the downturn. Do you think newspapers will disappear, how do you think they can keep up with the changing "environment" or whatever.   1 Answer

Content Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for this position online and was contacted back about a month later. They set up a time for me to meet up for an interview at a location that ultimately turned out to be a shoddy little hotel room. There I talked to a woman, who was very kind and receptive, and took a short writing test (which was more like a pop quiz; I didn't realize this was part of it). Everything well fairly well, and she confirmed that I was told about the salary and general job duties and soforth, and I said that I'd been told about the duties, but no one mentioned salary. I assume this was a bit of a tactic on their part, considering the highest offer they could supply was $12 or $13 an hour, which is hardly a fitting salary for a post-collegiate position in a city such as this. I said that I'd probably have to pass if they couldn't offer anything better, and left.

A month or so later, another employee called. Apparently the person I had interviewed with was no longer there, and I was offered a position again. I said that I really needed something with a more substantial salary, and she said she would talk to the new facility's director. I never heard back form her.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, the formatting test was a bit strange. I wish I could cite specific examples from it, but I can't recall them off the top of my head.   Answer Question

Sub-standard salary.

Page Designer Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at GateHouse Media.

Interview

Portfolio

Negotiation

no negotiation

Business Manager/Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honesdale, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at GateHouse Media (Honesdale, PA) in December 2010.

Interview

well organized, professional

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose the college you went to.   1 Answer