GateHouse Media Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at GateHouse Media

Business Manager/Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Honesdale, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honesdale, PA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at GateHouse Media in December 2010.

well organized, professional

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose the college you went to.   View Answer

Sports Editor Interview

One interview with managing editor and one with department editor

Designer Level I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at GateHouse Media in February 2014.

Applied online for the position and got a phone call a few days later. The call was basically a pre-interview screening with the corporate design director, including the typical interview questions (what are your strengths/weaknesses, how would your friends describe you, why gatehouse media/this job?). We also discussed the pay rate for this position (26-28k, seemed pretty non-negotiable). I was told at the end of that phone call that they would be calling me in for an interview the next week.

I interviewed with the corporate design director and the general manager of the local office. The design director asked me more interview-y questions, and then I went in another room for the skills test part of the interview. It was half copy-editing basically, and half an InDesign test. The InDesign test was to lay out the front page of a newspaper in 20 minutes, which they made very clear was just a sort of "we want to see what you can do in this time, you wouldn't be given this deadline on the job" situation. The copy-editing bit was 3 different pages of grammar/editing worksheets basically. Point out the spelling errors, fix grammar issues, some MLA formatting stuff.

After that I talked with the general manager, answered some of his questions, and left. Overall, the interview seemed pretty simple/easy, but I'll hear back a few weeks so I guess I'll see.

Interview Questions
    • Wasn't really unexpected, but hard to answer. They asked a couple different questions about the newspaper business and how it's basically on the downturn. Do you think newspapers will disappear, how do you think they can keep up with the changing "environment" or whatever.   View Answer

Page Designer Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at GateHouse Media.

Portfolio

no negotiation

Worked for GateHouse Media? Contribute to the Community!