Gateway Foundation Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

2.2

Intake Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gateway Foundation in June 2015.

Interview

Three big giveaways that Gateway isn't what its "we're biggest and best" ballyhoo says it is:

1) "Group interview" process--with THREE people, no less! Talk about letting the candidate know for certain that he/she is being thought of as a lowly burger-flipper. I feel I was owed the courtesy of at least one old-fashioned sit-down before the tag-team event...but, it was a good indication of the level of respect this company has for the rank-and-file.

2) I learned that it's more about the money, less about the clients, and NOTHING about you as an employee. Gateway was recommended to me by my university's placement office as a good place to get both part-time work and practical experience working with prospective clients; what I learned in the interview, after all the "We're Number One" cheerleading, was that I'd be working in a call center that is all about closing the sale, and that, other than my one evening of college classes, I'd better have unlimited availability/ 24/7 on-call capability before I'd even be considered for a second interview.

Um, excuse me, but really? For a job that pays less than my local Panera Bread? With no set schedules, EVER? So, what if I need to work a second job? Oh, I "should" be able to do that, no worries, even though there are no set schedules, and I'm supposed to give you unlimited availability...OK, then, I'll just tell my other boss to expect me whenever. And, HOW many hours will I be getting? Oh, that "varies". Oh, I see...well, I'll just inform my landlord about that.

Utterly ridiculous to treat working adults in this manner.

3) The second interview is a "peer" interview, this time with TWO people, both of them your prospective co-workers, just to see if you "blend in well," of course...which, I can tell you, having already worked a telecom call center, is code for WE HAVE MASSIVE PROBLEMS WITH OUR EMPLOYEES GETTING ALONG.

Trust me, lack of respect for employees and poor pay result in a staff peppered with, shall we say, less than congenial co-workers, and the whole "peer interview" thing is designed to see if you can stand up to what the big dogs will dish out to you. In other words, management isn't afraid that YOU'LL be the problem, because they realize that they've already got one, and one that might get worse if the bully boys don't give you the thumbs-up. So, having been there and done that, I took a pass on the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral questions (i.e., "Tell us about a time when...). Typical, that is, except that you have to focus on three people's responses, which, after a time, makes you feel like one of those lizards with its eyes at the sides of its head, watching a tennis match.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Gateway Foundation (Springfield, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

They call you for an interview, say that they will call you for a 2nd interview or call you to let you know if they've decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about group work and conflict. Typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gateway Foundation (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

The Director of HR emailed me to set up a time for us to have a phone interview. The HR Director called me and we discussed the opportunity as well as my background. I was told they would follow up within a few days and never did. I sent her a thank you email and you would have thought she would have at least said "Thank you for your time but we have decided to pursue other candidates at this time". HR Director never responded back to my email which I feel was very rude and ignorant.

It was probably a blessing not to get this job. I would like to move into a Recruiting Manager role in the near future and honestly I don't think there is room from advancement here.

Interview Questions

• Typical just asked me about the company's I worked for and my experience.   1 Answer

Substance Abuse Counselor I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Gateway Foundation.

Interview

Primary Interview with Program supervisor and secondary with executive director

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with substance abuse clients? -they don't want to hear about personal or family exposure, be more general i.e "the effects of drugs on a family is significant" and not "Drugs really impacted my family"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gateway Foundation (Richmond, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

the interview process was pretty standard, they explained what hours would be and that you have to be available for either shift to be considered for work.

Interview Questions

• what theories work the best for you.   1 Answer

Substance Abuse Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Gateway Foundation (Aurora, IL) in June 2011.

Interview

The job described in the interview is not the job you get once you go through orientation and present for work. Management is very dishonest with job descriptions in general.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing difficult or unexpected asked.   1 Answer

Negotiation

With Gateway it is a take ot leave it, like it or lump it world.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clinton, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gateway Foundation (Clinton, NJ) in June 2011.

Interview

Took 3 months from initial interview to hire. Interviewed with site director and clinical supervisor. Toured facility.

Interview Questions

• How did you solve a problem you had one time? This was really vague and no more information was given and it was difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gateway Foundation (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

2 interviews, meeting with CFO and Directors, HR recruiting was helpful people were easy to schedule with location was easy to find timing was convenient. Staff was helpful. feedback was quick and informative. office was bright and professional

Interview Questions

• How do you handle difficult people   1 Answer

Negotiation

there was none

Clinical Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gateway Foundation (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

Two interviews, first was with the hiring manager. Second was with the hiring manager and two other employees, one with management, and the other a director. Interview process was fair. Behaviorally-based questions. As long as you are prepared with answers to behaviorally based questions like "Tell me about a time when you had to resolve a conflict with a co-worker. What did you do?"

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any as I was well prepared for the interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't have to negotiate, as I was happy with the salary offer.

Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gateway Foundation in June 2010.

Interview

I applied online, was given an interview right away with the clinical director and was offered a position on the spot. I was able to negotiate a little on the salary. I did not ask enough questions about the benefits, was disappointed in the cost of insurance as well as the deductibles.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate on the salary.