Gateway Media Interview Questions

3.4

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Gateway Media (Mountain View, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

I was schedule to meet the Director of PM but he was busy and I have to chat with the recruiter for almost 40 minutes. The HR/recruiter called another PM to interview me while waiting for the director. He was able to arrange for me an interview with the COO and we had good conversation. After 3 hrs the office, the Dir came and spoke to me for only 10minutes. After the interview, I did not get any call or email for the next step. This company is not professional.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you did as PM in your current organization.   Answer Question

Technical Architect Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gateway Media (Dallas, TX) in February 2010.

Interview

The interview process consisted of initial screen with recruitor, then interview with HR manager, then interview with technical manager, then interview with senior manager then skill test to implement example application and then an offer to in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Implement example of ecommerce application based on some predefined rules.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gateway Media (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2010.

Interview

HR Interview over the phone asked for the general skill and background qualifications.

Then I was asked to come in to interview with a couple of technical leads.

I was given a thirty minute skills test immediately upon arriving.

I was then questioned by two technical leads about very specific software engineering topics and programming skills. The most detailed questions were about MVC, OODP, Java, and program complexity.

Interview Questions

• Name and describe as many of the GOF design patterns as you can.   Answer Question
    • Identify the big O complexity of these listed methods.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gateway Media in October 2010.

Interview

The interview process was VERY interesting. I'm not sure how the recruiter found me, but I got a call one day and after 5 minutes of highly detailed questioning I was invited into the office. The recruiter painted a fairly vivid picture of the success and momentum of the company, and the whole team seemed very professional, upbeat and informative through the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Give me your approach the Product Management life-cycle?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your experience building, launching & optimizing consumer websites?   Answer Question

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gateway Media in September 2010.

Interview

Announce Media has a professional in-house recruiter sourcing candidates through different channels, so even if you don't make progress with the initial position of interest, you may still be a great candidate to another. I was impressed by the internal talent at this company, and everybody showed reasonable competence in their areas of specialty. I was informed through each and every step of the process. I heard they are hiring SW Leads ...

Interview Questions

• State the significance of public, private, protected, default modifiers both singly and in combination and state the effect of package relationships on declared items qualified by these modifiers.   Answer Question
    • What are different types of inner classes?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gateway Media in September 2010.

Interview

The Announce Media recruiter was on his game. He said that he was surfing Linked-In and saw my profile, and then proceeded to sell the organization and opportunity. I wasn't sure what to think at first because, quit frankly, it sounded too good to be true. However, I soon found that the opportunity was indeed presented in an accurate light.

After rigorous and somewhat exhausting rounds of interviews, the recruiter said that he intended on making an offer of employment, and began to re-emphasize value points of the company, including highlights of the role. Essentially, it was an opportunity that I couldn't pass up.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I'd like to believe that I negotiated, but in reality they covered my professional motivations and interests in the early stages of the interview process. The base salary is competitive, bonus plan is excellent, start off 2 weeks vacation, received stock incentives, fully stocked kitchen, fairly cool company events, etc, etc, etc. {you get the picture} .. I've only been at a few company's in my career, but I have to say {to date} It's the best career choice that I've made.

* I'll check back in 6 months and write an update.

Developer III Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gateway Media in May 2008.

Interview

Sat at a table with the COO while he grilled me on my knowledge. The entire time he gave disapproving looks at every answer, even though I knew all the answers were correct. Later, I discovered this was so that they could make me feel less valuable than I was, and low-ball me a salary. It didn't work.

Interview Questions

• Problem relating to optimizing a database that was 2TB in size.   Answer Question

Negotiation

My salary negotiation was very negative on the employers part. After being a consultant with 6 months job training, they acted like they could get anyone off the street to do my job better than I could do it. They wanted to give me a salary significantly lower than my consulting salary, and I was able to negotiate them up to the same level of my salary, which was an amount I was OK with.