Geek Squad Interview Questions

2.5

ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Geek Squad.

I'm very much over-qualified for any of the Geek Squad positions, but I wanted some part-time work for a little while. I applied online on Sunday and they called me Monday morning. They asked basic questions about the number of hours I wanted, the schedule I desired, my overall level of interest in working for Best Buy on a 1-5 scale, then scheduled me to come in for a sit-down interview with the store mgr (I went in the same day). We sat in the back room and he fired out the typical questions you'll see on this site, such as "Name a time you dealt with an irate customer" ..... "How did you overcome working with a troublesome co-worker" ..... "Tell me about how you went above and beyond for a customer", etc. Just an FYI..... If you can't think of a time it really happened to you, just make something up that sounds good.....tell 'em what they want to hear. The mgr knew I was over-qualified, so he didn't get technical with me at all. He said he had to discuss it with the GM first (who is out of town) and will call me soon.....currently waiting on a call back.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. They're exactly the ones you find on this site. Write them down and answer them on your own before you go in for an interview.   Answer Question

Advanced Repair Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Geek Squad.

I was initially employed as a sales associate and had to work my way up to the repair agent position. If you are trying to get a position at GS while employed at BB, building a relationship with the GS supervisor and manager is very important. Showing a great deal of enthusiasm for the job and the want to make any improvements are also required.

Interview Questions
    • How would you improve the workflow at the precinct (repair area) ?   View Answer
    Depends on the store you work at; I was not made an offer at the last store and was simply sent an email with the hourly rate. At the previous store I was made an offer and was given room for negotiating the rate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Geek Squad in July 2014.

Applied on July 13th, contacted via phone on the 15th to schedule appointment on the 17th. No phone interview. On day of interview, was directed to a waiting area for interviews. Interviews were running late and interviewer had many interviews that day :5-6 interviews including mine. Interviewer was quite friendly and made me comfortable during interview in employee break room. Seemed very interested in me but could not hire due to "new minor restrictions" as I am 16. It was my first interview and although I did not get a job offer, it was a very good learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are typically scenario questions such as "Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for somebody"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, SC

interviewed at Geek Squad in July 2014.

I am an entry level IT professional and approached this interview as such. I had been reviewing notes from certifications and brushing up on my overall knowledge; all the while bearing in mind that consulting agents were essentially help desk specialists. I likely would not be troubleshooting and replacing parts (technician stuff) as much as I would like. Nevertheless, I thought I'd be ready to wow. From the start, the interview was super informal. Some would view this as nice, but I was mentally unprepared for it. The interviewer seemed clueless as to my resume contents, and I had to provide him with a copy. The impression given was that he would take notes and he and some mysterious group of managers would then review his notes. There were no questions about what exactly I knew or was willing to learn. There was the initial "Why Geek Squad?" which was fair, but the following question pertained to my favorite movie; "fun" questions he called them. There was a couple of situational questions such as "Name a time you worked with a difficult team, and how did you manage?" and things like that. But I was also asked about my favorite cereal. I may sound a little sore because I was not offered. My qualifications include military time as an IT, as well as an internship with Walt Disney Company (They have a focus on your customer service side as well). Overall, I felt the interview was incredibly unprofessional, especially compared to my interviews and employment opportunities since. Maybe I wasn't quirky enough or the typical "geek" that they needed. They did offer me a position that I turned down with best buy, but not as a Geek Squad member. I am a little annoyed about it as I believe I was WAY overqualified for the job. I'm glad it didn't work out to be honest because the pay was absolutely terrible.

Interview Questions
    • One question that threw me off was "What blogs/magazines are you following and/or how do you keep up with the changing technologies? That was an incredibly fair question and as an aspiring IT professional, I should have had a better answer.   View Answer

Best Buy Geek Squad Covert Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Geek Squad.

Remote phone interview is largely based on technical and client service skills. Availability and quiet work environment are both essential. Remote repair skills and rapport are also very important in this channel.

No negotiations.

Geek Squad Consultation Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Geek Squad.

Applied online from CB and was called in for an interview about 2 weeks later. Post application you take online tests. Interview setting was a break room of sorts. Interview conducted by GS manager and assistant store manager. I stayed and asked questions for about 20 minutes, but the structured part of the interview takes about 30-40 minutes. One interviewer writes while the other asks questions. I tried to engage both guys, anyway. You get the standard questions like "tell me about a problem and..." and "have you ever worked with someone you didn't like...". If you have ever prepped for an interview, you will be fine. I focused on my background in repair and networking. At the end they asked me what my salary expectations were. I listed what google told me was the cap for entry level on my resume and asked for more in the interview. They called me 2 days later (Sunday, which surprised me) and gave me a formal job offer. They agreed to my pay terms ($1/hr over the max which I guess had to get approved somehow). I agreed on the phone and did a written acceptance online, filled out background check stuff, and went to the drug screen place the next day. I'm at that point now. Just waiting for a call and to get my background check back from that company. I think what helped me the most was doing some research and asking questions about the job and just being honest.

Interview Questions
    • What questions would you ask a customer that came in with a problem? (something along those lines)   View Answer
    I negotiated a higher wage, it still ins't amazing, but acceptable. They ask at the end what your salary expectations are. I told them I looked up the salary range for the position and put used that to not be excluded, but realistically, I would like more. They said that it was possible. They told me that they had a lot of interviews and they would let me know within 3 days along with salary. That was it.

Geek Squad CIA Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Geek Squad.

My application was submitted online and I turned in a physical copy to the Deputy of Counter Intelligence. I made multiple contacts with the DCI before getting an official interview and was giving a second interview within 2 days. I was hired after a second interview in which I discussed pay and hours in more detail.

Interview Questions
    • There where no questions which stood out as difficult or unexpected. The entire interview process consisted of standard questions involving experience, background, intent for future development and opened ended questions asking for feedback FOR the interviewer.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was very straight forward, I explained my skills and abilities and asked the hiring manager for a specific pay rate that I felt matched.

Operations Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rego Park, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rego Park, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Geek Squad in May 2014.

I was moving from within the company, and in the same store so the interview process was a lot easier that if one was applying to another store, or a different company. I put in my application and a week later i got an interview. The interview went well being that i already knew what i had to do in the position. They asked questions such as what was a time you went above and beyond for a customer, tell me of a time you dealt with an irate customer. The interview took about 15 minutes, and in a week the manage got back to me with the results.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you went above and beyond at work   View Answer
    I asked for a slight raise due to me speaking an additional language, and i was given that slight raise.

Geek Squad Consultation Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Geek Squad in May 2014.

Phone interview: Basic description of the position and basic questions about any past customer service experience.

Supervisor interview: Basic questions about your past experience in customer service positions and how you would handle different situations you might find yourself in when talking to a client. Nothing too difficult.

General Manager interview: The last interview was with the DM of the store. Pretty much the same questions you were asked when talking to the supervisor. They will also go over the pay with you. No negotiation. The GM would not budge on the hourly starting pay.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a client came in and said that their computer randomly stopped turning on.   Answer Question
    GM asked what I expected to make. I told him that I wanted $12/hr (around the average listed on Glassdoor.) he told me he couldn't go any higher than $10.50. That was the starting pay and there was no negotiation.

(I later found out that none of my co-workers made more than $11/hr. Some of them had been at Geek Squad for multiple years. So the "average" pay on Glassdoor didn't represent the pay at our store.)

Covert Agent - Dispatch Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Geek Squad in February 2014.

I applied online in December, did not hear anything back until February when I was contacted for an initial phone interview with an HR rep. About a week later I was contacted for a second phone interview with two supervisors. About a month after that I received another phone call from an HR rep with some followup questions "What do you make now? How much would you need to make in order to make the switch to Best Buy?" and if I could make a certain start date. I was contacted two days later with a formal offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. A few basic troubleshooting questions. A lot of scenario-based questions, and "Tell me about a time when...". As this is a remote-based position (work from home) they asked a number of questions about my home office setting, if I would be comfortable working remotely, etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiations, either accept or not.