Geek Squad

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.5

Advanced Repair Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Geek Squad.

Applied online, Called in for two interviews one with the geek squad manager the second with the store manager.

Able to ace their interview questioner pack, same as most retailers.

Pay negotiation was none existent.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a stressful situation and provide an example.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating, the store manager(who stole from the store and was later arrested for the crime) did not budge on his original offer of $9.45 an hour.

Only raises came from switching to an ARA position.

Advanced Repair Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Geek Squad in October 2014.

My interview process took 2 weeks.

I initially applied online for Geek Squad's Consultation Agent and Advanced Repair Agent

About 5 days afterward I received a phone call from the Back Room Lead who decided to give me an initial phone screening.

She basically informed me of the position I applied for and asked me if I was still interested.
    I told her "Yes" of course
    She then proceeded to schedule me for an interview that same day and I accepted it.

I met with a Geek Squad supervisor and the General Manager
    The GM was the one asking the questions and the GS supervisor was mostly taking notes
    The GM started the interview with the "Tell me about yourself."
    I was asked STAR type questions such as "Describe a time when...", "Describe a time when you worked on a team...",

I'd previously interview at about 4 other BBY's in the past but NEVER got hired, so I advised them of that and the GM asked me why I thought I didn't get chosen - I told him "I believe that maybe at that point in time in my life it wasn't meant to be. I have always wanted to work at Best Buy and I have not stopped trying to become employed here for the simple fact that I love what BBY represents and the culture it influences... I want to be apart of that experience."

During the interview I very eloquently detailed my job experience and aligned that to what they would be looking for in an Agent at GS such as: being a team player, how customer service is above all else, I take pride in the work that I do and I believe that the essence of dedication is meshing your passion and love for your duties into something that you could quintessentially be proud of, this is my dream job, I was once told to do what you love and you'd never work a day in your life and I love technology, etc.

I was able to read their facial expressions and I could tell automatically that I had won them over.
    I made the GS supervisor giggle at some of the impersonations I did of how irate customers act and she caught herself - the GM was glazed over in awe.

At the end I was asked if I had any questions I just basically asked about how long they had worked for the company, if they liked BBY, what's next in the hiring process, etc.

He said that if he liked me (which he did) then he would have the BHL call me to schedule an interview with the DCI (Deputy of Counter Intelligence).

Then I was asked again if I had anymore questions and I politely said "I have tons but I know you have other interviews and I don't want to run into their time." FYI there were probably no other interviews because I saw no one else waiting to be seen - I was the only applicant.

2 days later I was contacted to interview with the DCI (Deputy of Counter Intelligence)
    The lady on the phone even said "He really likes you" - referring to the GM

This interview was the deal breaker and the MOST difficult and stressful

He asked very situational questions and was extremely straightforward about it.
    He basically told me that he had to select a certain series of questions to ask you and had to grade me based off how well I answered.

While I know I impressed him, this wasn't my BEST interview mainly because of how extremely nervous I was.

The questions are roughly the same like "Describe a time you went above and beyond...", "Describe a time when you had to solve a technical issue...", "Describe a time when you had to educate someone with little to no knowledge..."

At the end he told me to tell him about myself - anything that I wanted - so I went in and told him all my life achievements

After that he told me that he is supposed to make me an official job offer if he liked me (which he did) and went through my answers and graded them in front of me - I PASSED!

He left to run an errand and advised me to wait around until he got back - instead the Back of House Lead gave me my drug test form and informed me of my starting wage.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you went above and beyond the call of duty...   View Answer
    None. Take it or leave it.

ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Geek Squad.

I'm very much over-qualified for any of the Geek Squad positions, but I wanted some part-time work for a little while. I applied online on Sunday and they called me Monday morning. They asked basic questions about the number of hours I wanted, the schedule I desired, my overall level of interest in working for Best Buy on a 1-5 scale, then scheduled me to come in for a sit-down interview with the store mgr (I went in the same day). We sat in the back room and he fired out the typical questions you'll see on this site, such as "Name a time you dealt with an irate customer" ..... "How did you overcome working with a troublesome co-worker" ..... "Tell me about how you went above and beyond for a customer", etc. Just an FYI..... If you can't think of a time it really happened to you, just make something up that sounds good.....tell 'em what they want to hear. The mgr knew I was over-qualified, so he didn't get technical with me at all. He said he had to discuss it with the GM first (who is out of town) and will call me soon.....currently waiting on a call back.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. They're exactly the ones you find on this site. Write them down and answer them on your own before you go in for an interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Geek Squad.

I was initially employed as a sales associate and had to work my way up to the repair agent position. If you are trying to get a position at GS while employed at BB, building a relationship with the GS supervisor and manager is very important. Showing a great deal of enthusiasm for the job and the want to make any improvements are also required.

Interview Questions
    • How would you improve the workflow at the precinct (repair area) ?   View Answer
    Depends on the store you work at; I was not made an offer at the last store and was simply sent an email with the hourly rate. At the previous store I was made an offer and was given room for negotiating the rate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Geek Squad in July 2014.

Applied on July 13th, contacted via phone on the 15th to schedule appointment on the 17th. No phone interview. On day of interview, was directed to a waiting area for interviews. Interviews were running late and interviewer had many interviews that day :5-6 interviews including mine. Interviewer was quite friendly and made me comfortable during interview in employee break room. Seemed very interested in me but could not hire due to "new minor restrictions" as I am 16. It was my first interview and although I did not get a job offer, it was a very good learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are typically scenario questions such as "Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for somebody"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, SC

interviewed at Geek Squad in July 2014.

I am an entry level IT professional and approached this interview as such. I had been reviewing notes from certifications and brushing up on my overall knowledge; all the while bearing in mind that consulting agents were essentially help desk specialists. I likely would not be troubleshooting and replacing parts (technician stuff) as much as I would like. Nevertheless, I thought I'd be ready to wow. From the start, the interview was super informal. Some would view this as nice, but I was mentally unprepared for it. The interviewer seemed clueless as to my resume contents, and I had to provide him with a copy. The impression given was that he would take notes and he and some mysterious group of managers would then review his notes. There were no questions about what exactly I knew or was willing to learn. There was the initial "Why Geek Squad?" which was fair, but the following question pertained to my favorite movie; "fun" questions he called them. There was a couple of situational questions such as "Name a time you worked with a difficult team, and how did you manage?" and things like that. But I was also asked about my favorite cereal. I may sound a little sore because I was not offered. My qualifications include military time as an IT, as well as an internship with Walt Disney Company (They have a focus on your customer service side as well). Overall, I felt the interview was incredibly unprofessional, especially compared to my interviews and employment opportunities since. Maybe I wasn't quirky enough or the typical "geek" that they needed. They did offer me a position that I turned down with best buy, but not as a Geek Squad member. I am a little annoyed about it as I believe I was WAY overqualified for the job. I'm glad it didn't work out to be honest because the pay was absolutely terrible.

Interview Questions
    • One question that threw me off was "What blogs/magazines are you following and/or how do you keep up with the changing technologies? That was an incredibly fair question and as an aspiring IT professional, I should have had a better answer.   View Answer

Consultation Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ

-Asked questions based upon background in electronics. If you don't know anything about Windows Laptops, or mobile devices, than you probably wont be prepared.
    -Also asked multiple questions about your character. Made you describe in detail about working in a team.
    Made me come in another day to meet the GM
    -GM asked more questions upon the lines of stealing, cheating, and the legality of the matter. Also asked me how I would punish a thief.

Interview Questions
    • They had the answers to most of their questions on the wall behind them. I didn't even realize until after answering the questions. I was to nervous to break eye-contact with the hiring manager.
      But besides Best Buy generic Shenanigan questions, I think the hardest question was in the first interview. He asked, "How do you perform in a team?"

View Answer

Best Buy Geek Squad Covert Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Geek Squad.

Remote phone interview is largely based on technical and client service skills. Availability and quiet work environment are both essential. Remote repair skills and rapport are also very important in this channel.

No negotiations.

Geek Squad Consultation Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Geek Squad.

Applied online from CB and was called in for an interview about 2 weeks later. Post application you take online tests. Interview setting was a break room of sorts. Interview conducted by GS manager and assistant store manager. I stayed and asked questions for about 20 minutes, but the structured part of the interview takes about 30-40 minutes. One interviewer writes while the other asks questions. I tried to engage both guys, anyway. You get the standard questions like "tell me about a problem and..." and "have you ever worked with someone you didn't like...". If you have ever prepped for an interview, you will be fine. I focused on my background in repair and networking. At the end they asked me what my salary expectations were. I listed what google told me was the cap for entry level on my resume and asked for more in the interview. They called me 2 days later (Sunday, which surprised me) and gave me a formal job offer. They agreed to my pay terms ($1/hr over the max which I guess had to get approved somehow). I agreed on the phone and did a written acceptance online, filled out background check stuff, and went to the drug screen place the next day. I'm at that point now. Just waiting for a call and to get my background check back from that company. I think what helped me the most was doing some research and asking questions about the job and just being honest.

Interview Questions
    • What questions would you ask a customer that came in with a problem? (something along those lines)   View Answer
    I negotiated a higher wage, it still ins't amazing, but acceptable. They ask at the end what your salary expectations are. I told them I looked up the salary range for the position and put used that to not be excluded, but realistically, I would like more. They said that it was possible. They told me that they had a lot of interviews and they would let me know within 3 days along with salary. That was it.

Geek Squad CIA Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Geek Squad.

My application was submitted online and I turned in a physical copy to the Deputy of Counter Intelligence. I made multiple contacts with the DCI before getting an official interview and was giving a second interview within 2 days. I was hired after a second interview in which I discussed pay and hours in more detail.

Interview Questions
    • There where no questions which stood out as difficult or unexpected. The entire interview process consisted of standard questions involving experience, background, intent for future development and opened ended questions asking for feedback FOR the interviewer.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was very straight forward, I explained my skills and abilities and asked the hiring manager for a specific pay rate that I felt matched.