Geek Squad Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2014
Updated Sep 7, 2014

2.6

Geek Squad Covert Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Geek Squad in August 2010.

The hiring process was extremely simplistic as this was an internal hire, although external hires followed the same procedure. You are asked to role play interacting with different clients at the same time using a google chat style setup. The most challenging question I was asked was the typical run of the mill "How would you handle a tough to deal with customer"?

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult client interaction?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, I was transfered from my in-store position to Covert, which was work at home and received a significant bump in pay since Covert works on a much higher pay scale than an in-store technician.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Geek Squad in February 2012.

Applied online, and followed up the next day in-store. Got a call three days later, scheduling an interview for the day after. There was a second interview the day after that, with the general manager. The next step in the hiring process was a mandatory drug screen to be taken within 24 hours of the second interview. Once the results of the drug screen and background check came through a few days later, I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • If a client brings in her computer because she accidentally deleted her pictures, what's the first thing that you would do while she is present?   Answer Question

Geek Squad CIA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brooks, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooks, KY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Geek Squad in September 2011.

There was an initial phone interview by HR to assess technical knowledge. A+ level stuff. Then a more in-depth interview with slightly more in-depth technical questions, plus the personality review and typical "if you saw someone stealing..." type questions. If they are in a hiring rush, the process will be very quick and easy. They will give just about anyone who owns a computer and plays video games a black tie. But for more individual positions they will offer up much more scrutiny.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions struck me a particularly difficult. Again, A+ level stuff. I do tend to struggle with the ethics questions as I feel they are trying to trap me. Since it is a retail chain, they really spend a lot of time on ethics questinos.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating on pay. Pay is run almost like a union, with very little variance in bay based on performance or skillset. They will promote based on this, but you will make what your peers make, give or take $0.10.

Technology Education Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bethel Park, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethel Park, PA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Geek Squad in January 2014.

I received a phone call first from the admin manager at the store to invite me in for an interview. I met with my manager and a supervisor and then went over some things from the resume and asked me a few personal questions such as what my goals were and what was a time when I had to help a difficult customer. After this, I received another phone call a few days later to schedule an interview with the general manager. After meeting with him, he offered me the job right there.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was what was a time I had to help a customer who was trouble.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. General manager said, here's the offer, part time, $10.15/hour. Sign if you accept.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anderson, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, SC

interviewed at Geek Squad in July 2014.

I am an entry level IT professional and approached this interview as such. I had been reviewing notes from certifications and brushing up on my overall knowledge; all the while bearing in mind that consulting agents were essentially help desk specialists. I likely would not be troubleshooting and replacing parts (technician stuff) as much as I would like. Nevertheless, I thought I'd be ready to wow. From the start, the interview was super informal. Some would view this as nice, but I was mentally unprepared for it. The interviewer seemed clueless as to my resume contents, and I had to provide him with a copy. The impression given was that he would take notes and he and some mysterious group of managers would then review his notes. There were no questions about what exactly I knew or was willing to learn. There was the initial "Why Geek Squad?" which was fair, but the following question pertained to my favorite movie; "fun" questions he called them. There was a couple of situational questions such as "Name a time you worked with a difficult team, and how did you manage?" and things like that. But I was also asked about my favorite cereal. I may sound a little sore because I was not offered. My qualifications include military time as an IT, as well as an internship with Walt Disney Company (They have a focus on your customer service side as well). Overall, I felt the interview was incredibly unprofessional, especially compared to my interviews and employment opportunities since. Maybe I wasn't quirky enough or the typical "geek" that they needed. They did offer me a position that I turned down with best buy, but not as a Geek Squad member. I am a little annoyed about it as I believe I was WAY overqualified for the job. I'm glad it didn't work out to be honest because the pay was absolutely terrible.

Interview Questions
    • One question that threw me off was "What blogs/magazines are you following and/or how do you keep up with the changing technologies? That was an incredibly fair question and as an aspiring IT professional, I should have had a better answer.   View Answer

Geek Squad, Super Senior CIA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brooks, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooks, KY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Geek Squad in August 2010.

Difficult interviews. Random questions. Mostly hire from within. There was a panel of 3 people from Management and each one had a series of questions to ask. Some where easy & fun. Some were difficult to answer.

Interview Questions
    • In 1 minute tell me why we should choose you for the position?   Answer Question
    They would not negotiate.

Geek Squad CIA Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Geek Squad in August 2010.

Applied online and waited a week before being contacted. Had a brief phone interview where they just asked basic questions. Then three interviews and waited a month after drug testing to finally start. Interviewed with the store manager, home life manager, and finally the DCI.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Citrus Heights, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Geek Squad in July 2014.

Applied on July 13th, contacted via phone on the 15th to schedule appointment on the 17th. No phone interview. On day of interview, was directed to a waiting area for interviews. Interviews were running late and interviewer had many interviews that day :5-6 interviews including mine. Interviewer was quite friendly and made me comfortable during interview in employee break room. Seemed very interested in me but could not hire due to "new minor restrictions" as I am 16. It was my first interview and although I did not get a job offer, it was a very good learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are typically scenario questions such as "Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for somebody"   Answer Question

ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Geek Squad.

I'm very much over-qualified for any of the Geek Squad positions, but I wanted some part-time work for a little while. I applied online on Sunday and they called me Monday morning. They asked basic questions about the number of hours I wanted, the schedule I desired, my overall level of interest in working for Best Buy on a 1-5 scale, then scheduled me to come in for a sit-down interview with the store mgr (I went in the same day). We sat in the back room and he fired out the typical questions you'll see on this site, such as "Name a time you dealt with an irate customer" ..... "How did you overcome working with a troublesome co-worker" ..... "Tell me about how you went above and beyond for a customer", etc. Just an FYI..... If you can't think of a time it really happened to you, just make something up that sounds good.....tell 'em what they want to hear. The mgr knew I was over-qualified, so he didn't get technical with me at all. He said he had to discuss it with the GM first (who is out of town) and will call me soon.....currently waiting on a call back.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. They're exactly the ones you find on this site. Write them down and answer them on your own before you go in for an interview.   Answer Question

Advanced Repair Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Geek Squad.

I was initially employed as a sales associate and had to work my way up to the repair agent position. If you are trying to get a position at GS while employed at BB, building a relationship with the GS supervisor and manager is very important. Showing a great deal of enthusiasm for the job and the want to make any improvements are also required.

Interview Questions
    • How would you improve the workflow at the precinct (repair area) ?   View Answer
    Depends on the store you work at; I was not made an offer at the last store and was simply sent an email with the hourly rate. At the previous store I was made an offer and was given room for negotiating the rate.

Worked for Geek Squad? Contribute to the Community!