Gelber Group

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Proprietary Trader Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gelber Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – Interview process was very positive. They contacted me in early March via email and asked to set up a phone interview. The interviewer was extremely nice and did her best to assure my comfortability during the whole process. The first interview was more of a fit interview than anything. A second phone interview followed with an algorithmic trader about a week later that was a little bit more technical. After this interview, about a week later I was scheduled to interview 1 on 1 with one of the discretionary traders there. He was also extremely nice and seemed to be very knowledgeable and successful (he'd been there 10+ years). After a few days I heard back that they were interested in extending me an offer, of which I accepted.

Interview Question – How would you best define spectral analysis?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Room for slight negotiation.

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gelber Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – I met one of the hiring managers at a career fair, chatted with her very casually and ended up getting her business card. Upon reaching out to her, I was invited to interview in the office. When I got there, I was given a tour of the office before being sat down and asked some behavioral/fit type of questions. After talking with her for awhile, one of the traders interviewed me. He asked me a bit about my background, then asked me to talk him through comparing a few sets of data developed from different trading strategies and ultimately asked me to choose which one I thought was the best. Sounds a little technical, but it was really relaxed and just felt like a conversation as opposed to being grilled.

Interview Question – Talk me through how you would compare each of these data sets.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Chicago, IL

Interview Details – Submitted my resume via a job posting on school career center website. Heard back by email with a request for a phone interview. I had two phone interviews, one with, who I believe was a general recruiter, and the other was one of the algorithmic traders. Both interviews were fairly easy, did not have to answer any technical questions. I used to play online poker for a living before and during most of my college career, so a lot of questions were directed at that. They also asked a bunch of "fit" type questions

Interview Question – Where would your edge come from as a trader?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, all interns are paid with a fixed monthly stipend

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gelber Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – Roughly 3-4 interviews (combination of phone/in-person, depending on current location).

Interview Question – You are given a set of data and asked to analyze performance of several trade systems.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Gelber Group

Interview Details – It was just a very simple phone interview. Nothing special at all. Basically, they called me, and we just discussed the position for thirty minutes. But, mostly we talked about my school, discussed Chicago, and discussed if I could be able to find a spot to live over the summer if I got an offer.

Interview Question – No technical questions at all. Just talked about trading and school.   Answer Question

Summer Trader Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gelber Group in March 2013.

Interview Details – There was one phone interview to determine whether or not they wanted you. The interview consisted mostly of technical questions. One behavioral question asked what kind of risk taker were you. The technical questions were mostly about OO programming. ie explain the difference between queue and stack, what is encapsulation, polymorphism, and inheritance. What are the advantages of inheritance? For syntax in C++, he asked what's the difference between a pointer and reference.

Interview Question – What are the advantages of inheritance besides reusing code?   Answer Question

Trainer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gelber Group in February 2013.

Interview Details – One phone interview. Asked all fit questions, no math or brain teasers. Overall, very easy.

Interview Question – Nothing to difficult as they were all fit questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted elsewhere.

Summer Trading Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gelber Group.

Interview Details – Submitted resume and was contacted for a phone interview. There was only one phone interview and all the questions were fit questions. No probability or math questions.

Reason for Declining – Accepted an offer elsewhere.

Business Manager/Trader Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Gelber Group in March 2009.

Interview Details – Very informal with the founder and a senior partner on several occasions, including the golf course.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – fair and honest. They under promised and over-delivered

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Gelber Group in March 2010.

Interview Details – 1:1 interview,

go through resume and programming skills

Interview Question – what is yield curve   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Gelber Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gelber Group interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Gelber Group employees and interview candidates.