Gelber Group Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.4

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gelber Group in February 2015.

I applied online through the Gelber Group website. I was contacted by email around two months after I applied. They arranged a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty short, around 25 minutes. I did not hear back from them for a few weeks, so I am assuming I did not make it to the next round.

Interview Questions
    • What is the biggest risk you have taken?   View Answer

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gelber Group.

Got the contact of the HR head from a former intern. Contacted her and applied online. Had 2 phone interviews: first one are fit questions an HR; second one are technicals with a trader. Got offer a couple weeks later.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gelber Group in December 2014.

Applied online - scheduled a phone interview - did the interview. Mostly behavioral, make sure you have an opinion on the markets and where they are going. First Interview was with an HR person. Prepare answers to why Gelber ? why prop trading? biggest strength/weakness? what stocks do you follow?

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gelber Group.

Basically all fit questions. Think they've change the hiring process now though. Meet with the group manager. They're not very organized. Total process was close to 3 months. For some reason this has become a go to firm in technology. A lot of MIT grads now.

No negotiations. All traders start at 45k

Entry Level Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gelber Group in November 2014.

On-site interview. Met with 2 people for about 45 minutes each. Gave me a tour of the offices. Both interviewers were friendly and asked about my interest in trading as well as past internship experiences. They emphasized that coming up with good trading ideas can be difficult no matter how smart or hard working you are. I appreciate that they make a point to talk about this with potential new hires.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were about past internship experiences on resume, academic work, why I'm interested in trading, biggest risk I ever took, greatest strength and weakness.   Answer Question

Trading Interview

I had a relatively casual interview and heard shortly after I had the position. The questions asked were about my personal characteristics to check if my personality would be a good fit for the industry.

N/A

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Gelber Group.

On campus recruiting. Within days met with one of their employees for an on campus one on one interview. After that didn't hear back from them until months later. I told them I wasn't interested anymore.

Proprietary Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gelber Group in September 2014.

The first round interview was a phone behavioral interview. I met the recruiter through campus career fair, and she gave me an interview shortly after. The phone interview is very straightforward and the following are the questions they asked.

- Go through your resume
    - Why Gelber?
    - What sets you apart from other candidates?
    - What kind of risk taker are you?
    - and some other typical behavioral questions

I thought my interview went great, but I didn't get the chance to move on. I guess I'm not a good fit.

Proprietary Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gelber Group in March 2014.

Interview process was very positive. They contacted me in early March via email and asked to set up a phone interview. The interviewer was extremely nice and did her best to assure my comfortability during the whole process. The first interview was more of a fit interview than anything. A second phone interview followed with an algorithmic trader about a week later that was a little bit more technical. After this interview, about a week later I was scheduled to interview 1 on 1 with one of the discretionary traders there. He was also extremely nice and seemed to be very knowledgeable and successful (he'd been there 10+ years). After a few days I heard back that they were interested in extending me an offer, of which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • How would you best define spectral analysis?   View Answer
    Room for slight negotiation.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gelber Group in January 2014.

Submitted my resume via a job posting on school career center website. Heard back by email with a request for a phone interview. I had two phone interviews, one with, who I believe was a general recruiter, and the other was one of the algorithmic traders. Both interviews were fairly easy, did not have to answer any technical questions. I used to play online poker for a living before and during most of my college career, so a lot of questions were directed at that. They also asked a bunch of "fit" type questions

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, all interns are paid with a fixed monthly stipend