GenMark Diagnostics

Updated Oct 12, 2014

2.6

Director - Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at GenMark Diagnostics in September 2014.

Was initially introduced to the SVP - HR through an Employee Referral in regards to a potential need for a Head of Talent Acquisition. Had an initial informal meeting over coffee with the Head of HR. She was very knowledgeable, easy to talk to and passionate about the organization.

Over the next month or so, we kept in touch and I was invited on-site for a couple rounds of interviews with the Leadership team. Everyone I met with was smart, professional and excited about the future of the organization and it's upcoming product launch. I was also given the opportunity to meet with the CEO and found his energy to be infectious.

The technology GenMark is developing is cutting edge and they have hired a great team that will undoubtedly lead them to success. Overall, a great candidate experience.

Interview Questions
    • Is there a place for empathy in the recruiting process?   View Answer

Had an equally competitive offer.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GenMark Diagnostics.

The company moved very quickly initially but was totally unresponsive/silent following the on-site interview. The current job market favors employers yet their handling of the process was thoroughly unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer pulled out a sheet of paper towards the end of the interview with a list of technical terms and wanted to hear "definitions" to those terms.   View Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at GenMark Diagnostics in January 2013.

I was contacted by them through an on-site recruiter. They took care of my flight, car rental and hotel, which was very nice. The interview process was very well organized and i got to meet with various groups. I was there during some of remodeling, but what I saw looked very welcoming and professional. They offered me a great salary and complete across-country moving expenses, but ultimately I decided I was not ready to make the move.

Interview Questions
    • They had me redline a test plan and then go over why I made the corrections I had.   Answer Question

I wasn't sold on living in or around Carlsbad, CA. The commute from San Diego, where I'd want to live, seemed like a nightmare.

Technical Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at GenMark Diagnostics in April 2011.

I was contacted by Novasyte in Newport Beach for a Monster.com resume posting. They coached me and aided in my research about GenMark before submitting my resume. I also conducted a pre-screening interview with Novasyte prior. I then had a phone interview that consisted of skills and personality questions as well as background questions to determine my level of understanding of the position, as this position aids in technical customer service with or without travel requirement.
    The prep made for an easy and confident interview. However I was told that although I was not a direct fit for this position she felt I may fit better for a QC position and would apply my resume to that department, I would then hear back from in two weeks. I never heard back.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about this position?   View Answer
    • Give an example when you had to communicate with an angry customer?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at GenMark Diagnostics in January 2011.

I had an initial phone screen. Honestly, after that I really didn't think I wanted to go on the interview because I sensed an air of arrogance. I was then asked to come to an interview, but that I would need to plan for the entire day off. I wasn't sure that I wanted to take a vacation day if this is the attitude from the beginning, but I thought maybe this person was having a hard day, and hopefully others would not be this way. I arrived at the facility, but no one was there to greet you. You just had to sign in and sit down and wait. I got picked up for the interview and began the process. The interviews had a negativity all the way around. No one seemed enthusiastic about the background that I had to bring to the table except for one person that I met at the very end. It was more about what I was going to do for them, instead of having a genuine interest about me. When it got to lunch, I was hoping to get to a more "human" or personal side of people, but it was still more questioning about my background which seemed to doubt who I was as a person. I've never experienced this kind of interviewing in any company before. I wanted to just leave by lunchtime, but I told them I would be there for the day, and wanted to honor my commitment, even though by then I knew that I didn't want to work in a cultural environment like this.

Interview Questions
    • Every single person asked me to go over my entire resume from beginning to end. This was overkill and not a way to get to know a person or their skills.   Answer Question

I think this is obvious. Mostly not a cultural fit for me.