Genentech Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Phone interviews with managers of the department, lots of questions about previous experience and relevant skills. Managers were friendly, open, and honest about the process and also about the company.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The manager sent me an email about setting up an email. We set up a time for a phone interview. It last approximately 30 minutes. There were two interviewers; they briefly described the project, and then asked me how I would approach this. They also asked me why I was interested in Genentech. One of the interviewers really pressed for more answers, but the project was too vaguely described for me to answer in specifics. According to my manager after I was hired, this interview went well. Because this was a phone interview, I was in San Diego, but the job is in South San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about completing this project?   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genentech in April 2015.

Interview

I had a 30-45 min phone chat with the hiring manager. He began with "Tell me about yourself" and then continued to ask more questions about which project I want to pursue. He also asked why I am pursing graduate school .There was some time left for me to ask him some questions. Manager was really nice.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Submitted resume online through university, had an on-campus interview (about 12 candidates total) with 2 interviewers (one was someone I would be working under, the other was supervisor). A week later, got an email for an interview at the site (4 candidates left). Interview was about 2 hours long, with 2 interviews with 2 interviewers each, and a lab tour. Got a phone call couple days later saying I got the offer! All interviews were behavior-based, no technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you demonstrated leadership, etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech in March 2015.

Interview

It was a general phone interview, which lasted for about half an hour. They first emailed me and gave some time slots for me to choose and called me punctually.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked a few behavior questions first, followed by some basic knowledge about proteins. Pretty much related with the research that is going on in the department.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I met the first hiring manager during a campus event and he told me he doesn't really hire international students but then I was referred to another hiring manger. This hiring manger is really awesome. I was applying for business support position so he asked me some business questions. He also asked me persona questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about addressing something that you don't want to do?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Quick 25-30 minute phone chat. Talked about previous research experiences. What did you do? What did you find? What does it mean? Talked about the research that is going on at Genentech. Asked why I wanted to work there.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in February 2015.

Interview

Structured, 2 rounds, series of 5 interns, all one on one. Average interview questions. First intervie was 30 min on campus interview - 5 were selected from 16. Second rounds were on site at VV, back to back interviews, 2 chosen out of 5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vacaville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (Vacaville, CA).

Interview

Was called by hiring Manager looking to hire last minute. Was referred by a hiring manager from a previous interview at Genentech. Had two brief phone interviews and a 4-hour interview at the Vacaville Campus. Met with HR, three separate Hiring Managers, and two employees in the same division I would be working in.

Interview Questions

• I was asked 'what I have been up to'.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Recruitment was through my university. I had several rounds of in-person interviews with multiple department managers. Everyone I met and interviewed with while on-site were incredibly friendly, helpful and encouraging. Although this was a rigorous recruitment process, the interview process was well organized, and I always had a point of contact within the company that was very quick to get back to me.