Genentech

Getting the Interview

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Genentech in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a few RAs almost a month after applying to the intern positions on the company website, and ended up working with a Senior Scientist who allowed more flexibility on the start date for the internship. There was a phone interview involved, nothing too big.

Interview Question – Questions were about my research, what I accomplished, my goals in the future, and when I was able to start.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, hourly rate was based on my academic standing (senior).

South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Genentech in March 2013.

Interview Details – Networked to meet the hiring manager a couple years ago. 2 Hours, 3 different engineers/managers. Very laid back and fast hiring process

Interview Question – Demonstrate some of the roles in leadership you have taken in order to get a task done.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Genentech in June 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very smooth, I got interviewed by the hiring manager which was a brief 30 min interview and the manager told me that I was chosen and asked a date when I want to join. Few days later HR followed up with me regarding all details I needed before starting work.

Negotiation Details – N/A

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Genentech.

Interview Details – 30 phone interview with hiring manager.

Interview Question – Explain the different types of controls, false positives, negatives and what they tell us.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Genentech in May 2011.

Interview Details – 3 Panels of 3 people each from different teams of the department. 1:1 with hiring manager.

Interview Question – Describe a situation when you had to deal with a colleague who was being insubordinate.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Interview Details – Phone, in-person interview, HR

Interview Question – Length of time to be hired   Answer Question

Interviewed at Genentech

Interview Details – I applied online and they got back to me by email and interviewed me on the phone.

Interview Question – This wasn't unexpected, but the "Why Genentech" question is always kind of tricky to find a good answer for.   Answer Question

Interview Details – Two phone interviews

Interview Question – A lot of technical questions. A lot of details   Answer Question

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Genentech in April 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through their website around mid-March. I heard back from them about a month later from HR saying they would pass my resume to a hiring manager. Another 2 weeks went by before I heard anything. I got a email from someone in the Analytical Operations department (later my supervisor) saying they had a position and wanted to set up an interview. I was in school at the time so it was by phone. The interview lasted about 30 min. She asked me some questions about my past experiences and explained what I would be doing and if I was interested. I got my offer about 2 weeks after my interview.

Interview Question – nothing really, they just asked me to describe my past research experiences   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – as an intern there was no negotiation and even if there was, I was just happy to get a position at such a great company

Very Easy Interview

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech.

Interview Details – Contacted HR manager in mid February, who redirected me to their headquarters in San Francisco. After sending in my resume, I was contacted about a month later with a phone interview with my manager. Afterwards, he told me that his manager would call me in a few weeks. She was late on the day we planned by about an hour, but we talked about the same things - experience, why Genentech, how I knew about it, strengths/weaknesses and availability - and then she said they'll contact me in the future about my status. They mailed me my acceptence packet (I was at school in Washington, DC at the time) which outlined my pay, my hours, and offered me about $1,800 for relocation expenses. They originally offered a skype interview, but I preferred the phone call.

Interview Question – Why was I applying to their department (finance) in particular?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – For undergraduate interns you get to choose your starting/end dates, but you have to work full time. There was no negotiation because the pay is based on age: $17, $18, $19 for sophomore, junior and senior level standing.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Genentech

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!

Genentech Videos

Genentech – Why Work for Us?

Changing the Course of Medicine When you work at Genentech, you'll come to understand that changing the course of medicine requires the kind of inspiration that can only come from a combined commitment to patients… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genentech Intern interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Genentech employees and interview candidates.