Genentech

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vacaville, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Genentech.

Interview Details – Was called by hiring Manager looking to hire last minute. Was referred by a hiring manager from a previous interview at Genentech. Had two brief phone interviews and a 4-hour interview at the Vacaville Campus. Met with HR, three separate Hiring Managers, and two employees in the same division I would be working in.

Interview Question – I was asked 'what I have been up to'.   View Answer

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech.

Interview Details – Recruitment was through my university. I had several rounds of in-person interviews with multiple department managers. Everyone I met and interviewed with while on-site were incredibly friendly, helpful and encouraging. Although this was a rigorous recruitment process, the interview process was well organized, and I always had a point of contact within the company that was very quick to get back to me.

Interview Question – Walk me through your current research's design.   Answer Question

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Genentech in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a few RAs almost a month after applying to the intern positions on the company website, and ended up working with a Senior Scientist who allowed more flexibility on the start date for the internship. There was a phone interview involved, nothing too big.

Interview Question – Questions were about my research, what I accomplished, my goals in the future, and when I was able to start.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, hourly rate was based on my academic standing (senior).

South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Genentech in March 2013.

Interview Details – Networked to meet the hiring manager a couple years ago. 2 Hours, 3 different engineers/managers. Very laid back and fast hiring process

Interview Question – Demonstrate some of the roles in leadership you have taken in order to get a task done.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Genentech in June 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very smooth, I got interviewed by the hiring manager which was a brief 30 min interview and the manager told me that I was chosen and asked a date when I want to join. Few days later HR followed up with me regarding all details I needed before starting work.

Negotiation Details – N/A

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Genentech.

Interview Details – 30 phone interview with hiring manager.

Interview Question – Explain the different types of controls, false positives, negatives and what they tell us.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Genentech in May 2011.

Interview Details – 3 Panels of 3 people each from different teams of the department. 1:1 with hiring manager.

Interview Question – Describe a situation when you had to deal with a colleague who was being insubordinate.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Interview Details – Phone, in-person interview, HR

Interview Question – Length of time to be hired   Answer Question

Interviewed at Genentech

Interview Details – I applied online and they got back to me by email and interviewed me on the phone.

Interview Question – This wasn't unexpected, but the "Why Genentech" question is always kind of tricky to find a good answer for.   Answer Question

Interview Details – Two phone interviews

Interview Question – A lot of technical questions. A lot of details   Answer Question

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!