Genentech

Updated Nov 22, 2014

3.2

Manager of Marketing Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

3 phone screens - first by a recruiter, then by an outside agency and then by a member of the hiring team. After 3 phone screens I was called on-site. The phone interviews were fine - but at the on-site interview people were extremely rude. I heard many good things about people at Genentech from friends working there - but this group was such a contrast. It was my worst interview experience in my entire life. It looked to me that the group was extremely overworked, unhappy and pressed for time - and they are doing me a big favor by talking to me. I interviewed with them more than a year back and they are still looking to fill the position. That doesn't surprise me.

Interview Questions
    • Many behavioral questions. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech in November 2014.

I was contacted initially by an in house recruiter. Good conversations and email with him, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Flew to SF for full day interview with seminar. Talked with a dozen scientists an RAs of varying levels. All with good scientific and work related personnel questions. Day prior to the interview was taken on an area tour. This was time well spent as I was coming from outside the area. Fantastic group, great process, amazing science.

Happily, the whole process went very quickly with excellent communication during all phases. HR was working with many candidates so I was appreciative of the timely responses.

Interview Questions
    • Good questions about my past work, preferred working environment, management structure and style, how I fit into a group, and variation of these.   View Answer
    This was a bit meh. With CA income tax a great offer turns into a merely good offer. But the relocation and other benefits made that good offer more attractive.

Interactive Program Manager (IPM) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Genentech in November 2014.

I was referred by a current employee; a co-worker of mine who moved to Genentech earlier this year. My resume was submitted by said co-worker and I received an email the following day, a phone interview was setup for two days later.

The phone call was delayed by one day by the interviewer, however all communications were was courteous and prompt (and it turned out to work better for me anyhow). The phone interview was like most, "tell me about yourself," "what will you miss most about your current employment," yada, yada, yada - but overall a very relaxed and easy-going conversation. I was told they would follow-up with next steps soon.

Within 24-hours I received an email request (different contact) for an onsite interview. Went back and forth a couple times to land on a date/time that worked for everyone. It was a very efficient and accommodating transaction, and I had an on site interview scheduled for one week later. I was told an agenda and logistics would follow separately.

The day before the scheduled onsite, I received the agenda/logistics towards the end of the day, with an apologetic email and follow-up voicemail for the late delivery. I responded with a request for a "sequestered" interview due to the fact that co-workers from my current place of employment frequently visit Genentech for client meetings and received a response within two hours confirming a private office, so the interviewers would come to me, along with a catered lunch to avoid the cafeteria. More than I was expecting, so groovy.

All went smoothly the day of the interview based on the expectations set above. There was a visitor lot directly outside the building and the check-in process was painless. I interviewed with a total of 5 people; 3 iPM Group Managers, 1 iPM associate, and 1 iMM Group Manager. Each interview was about 45 mins and each interviewee was very conscientious about their time. They seemed well-prepared with questions and answered all of my queries with robust and informative details. At 4pm on the dot, I was escorted to the lobby.

Overall a very professional, streamlined and efficient process. The people I spoke to seemed genuinely happy with the culture, the company, their jobs, their teams, etc. It sounds like the company provides support, services and opportunities to help people grow in their careers. Appears to be a great place to work - I hope they call me back.

Interview Questions
    • Overall, the most difficult questions to answer where situational; "tell me about a time when you had to deliver bad news," or "tell me about a time when you had to work with someone you didn't like," etc. If I were being hit with a water balloon every time someone said, "tell me about" I would be dripping wet by the time we were finished. The co-worker who referred me even warned me about it, and I thought; no big deal, I can handle it. My recommendation is to make up some flash cards and study them the night before so you can draw one from memory in a flash.   Answer Question

Summer R&D Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Genentech.

Applied through university recruiter. Asked to write an essay on the Roche Purpose Statement and what that meant for Genentech's company culture. Contacted for interview within a couple of days of submitting application. 2 young interviewers, very friendly. Conversational interview with both technical and behavioral questions, emphasize use of STAR. Typical "tell me about yourself".

Interview Questions
    • How might you go about purifying a protein from cell culture? Tell me about a time you had to maintain professionalism under pressure.   Answer Question

Foundation Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech.

They conduct behavioral interviews. You need to pull from your work experience and recall times you used problem solving.

In your answers always give the Situation, the Steps You took and the Outcome.

Interviews will most likely be conducted by 2 Supervisors. If they ask you for a second interview, it is likely that most of the Supervisors will attend.

Interview Questions
    • Please recall a time you had a difficult customer. How did you resolve the conflict.   Answer Question
    HR calls you and tells you what the hourly pay will be. They might say that there is no negotiation but you should try negotiating anyways.

Intake Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Applied through a recruiting agency. First, I had to take an online simulation test. Very straight forward and simple, as long as you pay attention. Interviewed in person with two managers. No introduction, just asked three situational questions. Not too difficult but be prepared to come up with specific examples.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a situation when being a "great-listener" benefited you at your previous job?   Answer Question

Salesforce Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Phone followed for 3 rounds of F 2 F.it lasted nearly 3 hours.One on one during the first 2 rounds then panel interview.Very professional.gave their current scenarios and operational issues and asked what would be my take on it.

Great experience though

Interview Questions
    • About my previous experiences and how I resolved those   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Genentech in September 2014.

In general it was lovely meeting everyone. Questions were relatively general and unrehearsed. Personable directors and peers. I'm not sure why there was no offer. They seemed to like my background and thought we connected for the first round of 5 interviews. In general don't expect it to be a rehearsed performance. I believe this area is very busy.

QA Assicuate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

First is a 30min phone interview that focus on technical questions associated with the position. After the initial screening is complete, it's a 2hr long in person interview with 4-5 people. It has both technical and behavioral questions.

Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech.

I got an email from HR that they want to interview me. I had an interview with the manager and the team. I was 3 hour interview. Most of the questions were technical and few situational questions. It has been few days now and I am still waiting to hear back