Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015

3.2

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Was approached by internal recruiter. No phone scree, got a phone interview with the hiring manager right away. The interview was a little awkward, as the hiring manager seemed to be confused I wasn't updated about Genentech's hiring process. The call went well though, and another call was scheduled with the hiring manager, a team member and a stakeholder of the team. A really good conversation, could pose all questions. They focused mostly on behaviour questions, than on my experience and skills. As the hiring manager is based in Switzerland, and the position I applied is in San Francisco, all interviews were on the phone. I appreciate the very transparent walkthrough on compensation and all next steps after that. Great interview process, even though started a little unconventional.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you can manage working with your hiring manager and the majority of the team being remote?   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

almost full day interview with individual group members in the msat group. tough! they really want to see if you are a good fit. you can tell that they arent trying to grill you.. or at least some of them arent. some of the employees there really to make sure you are the absolute best candidate. overall experience was great

Manufacturing Bioprocess Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Genentech (Vacaville, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Very comforting environment and everyone is extremely friendly. The interviewers were all willing to chat and be a pal. Be prepared for LOTS of behavioral questions. Very few technical questions. Had panel of 3 interview along with 3 1-on-1 interviews (6 people total in 2 hours)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work with new procedures or new equipment and how you adapted to this change.   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Associate Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Submitted Coverletter and resume online and waited 3 weeks to have 3 interviews in two days : one with the hiring manager , one with a manager the position supports and interview with 4 admins.

Interview Questions

• How do you remain organized and prioritize tasks? Recall a time when you were challenged and how did you overcome the challenge. Did you ever fail and how did you handle failure. How well do you deal with emotional people. Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer
    • How do you remain organized and prioritize tasks?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Phone interviews with managers of the department, lots of questions about previous experience and relevant skills. Managers were friendly, open, and honest about the process and also about the company.

Reimbursement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

If you're an outside person, they do start with a phone interview/phone screen to feel you out. Then you're invited for 2 or 3 panel interviews over a month's time. 98% of the questions are behavioral questions. Interviewers range from future peers, supervisors, managers and directors. They take from the STAR method so be very prepared in giving a real life situation and solution. It could take 2-3 months before a decision is made.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when you disagreed with your supervisor. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Worked through HR and was quickly brought in for a 6 person panel interview. Mix of people who were intensely interested in my background, mostly the hiring manager and colleagues, and some people who were not likely to work with me but were nonetheless on the panel.

Interview Questions

• why genentech? how do your past experiences apply? what do you think will be the biggest challenge?   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was one full day, with a 45 minute interview with the hiring Scientist followed by a 1 hour job talk, followed by 13 additional 30 minute interviews throughout the day. The first half of 30 minute interviews were with other SRAs and these seemed to be intended to give the interviewee opportunities to ask questions about the position. There was a 1 hour lunch in Genentech's cafeteria (which was incredible!) with two additional SRAs, followed by the remaining 5 or so interviews being with Scientists/Senior Scientists, the Program Director, and a Senior Staff Consultant which was over the phone. Finally, there was an exit interview with the hiring Scientist which was a good opportunity to ask additional questions that might have been raised throughout the day. Overall, the questions were either scientific ones, or behavioral-type questions. They were very interested in why I wanted to work at Genentech, and wanted to be sure that I understood the pros and cons of the SRA position. I really enjoyed meeting with everyone- the vibe was generally very positive, and even when I was grilled on the science, I felt that it was done in a very collegial way.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you overcame an obstacle in your research? Can you describe a time when you had a conflict with a peer or supervisor? Why do you want to work as an SRA?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Mainly basic questions, without any surprises. They asked simple things like "How do you prioritize?" and "What are you weaknesses?" as strengths, priorities, how I deal with stress and conflict in the workplace, and why I was applying for this particular position as well as with Genentech in general.

Interview Questions

• What would be the first few steps you would take to settle in?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online 2 years ago but didn't hear back from a hiring manager until 8 months into my new position at a different company. I passed on the interviews but kept in contact with one of the hiring managers for when I am ready to move on. A year later the hiring manager recommends a position that opened up in their department, which I then applied to formally online. I talked to HR on the phone first who asked basic questions on what I am looking for at Genentech, and also answered any questions I had about the company and expectations on the process. HR was very friendly and were very transparent up front about the typical compensation expectations for this position. I then had a phone interview with the hiring manager that clarified more on what they were looking for and if this matched well with how I wanted to build my career. I was then one of three candidates invited on site for a day long interview, 8am-~4:30pm, 30min interviews with a total of 20 people in the department ranging from peer Research Associates to Director of the department. I had a few 1:1 interviews, but I also had 2:1/ 3:1/ 5:1 interviews throughout the day. All of the people I met were very friendly and understanding and did not throw any unreasonable questions at me. Most questions were about relevant experience and where I saw myself in 5 years. There were no theory questions on the formulas you learned in college but haven't touched on since (hiring manager emphasized that I did not need to study, just be myself). I also had plenty of opportunities to ask them of their experiences working there. You could tell that they took the process very seriously and made sure I was well-informed every step of the way.

Interview Questions

• Give me an introduction about yourself (Give me your TL;DR)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, but the offer was better than expected