Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015

3.2

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech.

There was an initial phone interview with HR, then another phone interview with the hiring manager, then an in-person interview lasting 1 day. The in-person interview consisted of 30 minute long interviews with the hiring manager and other individuals within the department, both other SRAs and Senior Scientists. There was also a requirement to give a presentation on recent scientific work.

Interview Questions
    • Are you sure that you are committed to doing bench research long-term?   Answer Question

Senior Regulatory Affairs Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech.

It was a pretty grueling interview process. I was a there from 8am to 5pm in a conference room with different interviewers coming in every hour. The only breaks I had were between interviews if one ended early or the next person was late. An admin brought me lunch but there was no break to eat. Naturally the toughest interviewer was at the end, grilling me when I was exhausted and hungry. I suppose that may have been a tactic to see how I handle stress.

I was offered the job but for a regulatory associate, not Sr. Associate as I had applied for. I considered not taking it because the interview process gave a bad impression.

IT Service Desk Interview

Group interview of 40 candidates and with 20 people observing. you will be grouped into tables or maybe 10 people. As a group you will be asked to complete a set of tasks while employees walk around and observe the different groups as they work. you then get called one by one for a panel interview with 3 employees.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

There was an initial phone screen after which I was brought in for live interviews. The phone screen consisted of a walk through my resume and some high-level discussion around why I was interested in this role in particular. It probed into my strengths. The live interviews were behavioral and focused on how I worked, with emphasis on teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • Why Genentech?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of how you brought a team with different opinions together.   View Answer
    • Give an example of how you transitioned to a new role and how you knew you were successful or unsuccessful?   View Answer
    • Give an example of how you've dealt with conflict at work   View Answer
    • Give an example of when you failed at something. What did you learn?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Genentech in March 2015.

I met the first hiring manager during a campus event and he told me he doesn't really hire international students but then I was referred to another hiring manger. This hiring manger is really awesome. I was applying for business support position so he asked me some business questions. He also asked me persona questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you go about addressing something that you don't want to do?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

The interview was a behavioral Interview on mostly questions about my resume. There was a strong emphasis on talking about leadership activities. The only prepared question for me was a time I had made a mistake, and what I did about it. It was a pretty easy interview. No technical questions.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

Submitted resume online through university, had an on-campus interview (about 12 candidates total) with 2 interviewers (one was someone I would be working under, the other was supervisor). A week later, got an email for an interview at the site (4 candidates left). Interview was about 2 hours long, with 2 interviews with 2 interviewers each, and a lab tour. Got a phone call couple days later saying I got the offer! All interviews were behavior-based, no technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you demonstrated leadership, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech.

First, phone interview with hiring manager then was chosen to on-site interview. Onsite interview took a whole day (9am to 5pm). 1-hour presentation/Q&A, 30-min interviews with various scientists, directors, and a HR, as well as your hiring manager, and 1-hour lunch break with SRA or post-doc.
    Intense process

Interview Questions
    • Too many questions...but they did pay more attention on your scientific research and skill sets   Answer Question

Associate Director Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

The phone screen was within 2 weeks of application. First round of in-person interviews with 5 people was around 2 weeks from the phone screen. 2nd round of in-person interviews with 5 more people were 3 months later, which was scheduled after I reached out to ask about status. Then, I was called with feedback on why I didn't get the role, which was before they had finished that round with other candidates. Even factoring in the size of the company, there are many people to do work that is done by fewer people in other companies, so the specifics of the job requirement are quite detailed. Being a highly desirable company and well-resourced, they can afford to find someone very specific and take their time.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly questions related to the requirements of the job and my relevant experience. I was given a internal document and 30 minutes to review and then provide any insights and comments about it during one of the interviews. There were some behavioral questions, like "how do you deal with a difficult stakeholder?" and "how do you influence them to adopt change?"   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Genentech.

Submitted application through university and got a call back for an interview a few weeks later. Had the initial interview on campus with a hiring manager. Interview was very casual and relaxed; I was asked various behavioral questions. Got a call back a week later for an interview at the facilities at Vacaville. Interviewed with 4 hiring managers/scientists, as well as two student interns on campus.