Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.2

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Spoke for 30 minutes with four different hiring managers from different departments. They were very easy going and friendly to talk to. It seems as if they wanted to know mainly how you interacted with a diverse group of employees.

Interview Questions

• Mainly personality trait questions and a basic biology question.   Answer Question

Interview

Case on your own then need to debrief the case. You are given an hour to work on the case and can use excel/powerpoint. Then some standard behavioral questions. Tell me about a team you led a team. Appears to be a huge focus on strategic agility. Also, culture is very collaborative so be prepared wtih team work stories

Interview Questions

• Standard questions. Tell me about a time you led a team.   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

1:1 Phone Interview with HR and then 1:1 with 5 people from department. Easy going, nice. Good questions asked. Long day of interviews. The whole process took about 2 months and the onboarding is seamless and very nice. I was excited to begin work here.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a busy desk? How do you prioritize work?   Answer Question

Intake Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly easy and fair. I interviewed through a recruiting agency and it took a couple of days for the agency to call me and set up an interview. On the day of the interview I was greeted by two managers and was asked fairly simple behavioral questions. There was only three questions and a short writing prompt at the end. It took them about one week to get back to me and I was able to get the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a heavy workload? How do you deal with a repetitive job? And describe the time that you listened and you are able to use you're listening techniques to accomplish your goals. The writing prompt was "please describe this room."   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, through a staffing agency.

Bioprocess Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (Vacaville, CA).

Interview

2 rounds of interview with two to three people. There was food available for the candidates which was nice. Most of the questions were technical but nothing too challenging. This was an entry level job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was contract job so there was no negotiation.

BSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

these people suck beyond believe, we did a Skype call and i accepted and hired based on that, manages were so desperate to hire they gave me the offer and then i had to work their internal vendor, ultipro, filled out all the paper work, did back grounds check, quick my current job and then they said i was not eligible to be hired... this was after a background and i passed and i had quick my former job, and i asked them several time if were good to go and it was safe to quick the current job. their HR rep would not tell me why I was not eligible

Interview Questions

• how did I manage and work with a 3rd party vendor and work with/ support a distributed workforce   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Was approached by internal recruiter. No phone scree, got a phone interview with the hiring manager right away. The interview was a little awkward, as the hiring manager seemed to be confused I wasn't updated about Genentech's hiring process. The call went well though, and another call was scheduled with the hiring manager, a team member and a stakeholder of the team. A really good conversation, could pose all questions. They focused mostly on behaviour questions, than on my experience and skills. As the hiring manager is based in Switzerland, and the position I applied is in San Francisco, all interviews were on the phone. I appreciate the very transparent walkthrough on compensation and all next steps after that. Great interview process, even though started a little unconventional.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you can manage working with your hiring manager and the majority of the team being remote?   Answer Question

Service Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (Redwood City, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Interview was a half day long job fair in Redwood City. First impressions of Genentech were that I was not impressed at all. The employees and Senior Management looked like societal rejects that you see at the local DMV and should've retired 15 years ago. They looked ugly, tacky, worn out, shot out, tow up from the flo up, haggard, and beat up by life, but yet acted like they were as hip as Google or Facebook, yet this was just another low rent/low class ghetto Call Center. The group exercises were kindergarten, juvenile, and were just done to see who were the brainless people that they could control. That's really all that they were looking for. They didn't even have the courtesy to tell the people they did not extend offers to a simple thank you for attending.

Biosamples Operation Laboratory Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

First a phone screen is done for about 30 minutes with the manager. He goes through your resume and asks a lot of questions about your personality. The on-site interview was around 2.5 hours (3 Interviews in total). The first two interviews were done by two senior BOLTs. The last interview was with the manager of the BOLTs. 80% of the questions were situational/ personality questions and 20% were technical.

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

almost full day interview with individual group members in the msat group. tough! they really want to see if you are a good fit. you can tell that they arent trying to grill you.. or at least some of them arent. some of the employees there really to make sure you are the absolute best candidate. overall experience was great