Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

3.2

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

almost full day interview with individual group members in the msat group. tough! they really want to see if you are a good fit. you can tell that they arent trying to grill you.. or at least some of them arent. some of the employees there really to make sure you are the absolute best candidate. overall experience was great

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Phone interviews with managers of the department, lots of questions about previous experience and relevant skills. Managers were friendly, open, and honest about the process and also about the company.

Legal Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Worked through HR and was quickly brought in for a 6 person panel interview. Mix of people who were intensely interested in my background, mostly the hiring manager and colleagues, and some people who were not likely to work with me but were nonetheless on the panel.

Interview Questions

• why genentech? how do your past experiences apply? what do you think will be the biggest challenge?   Answer Question

Reimbursement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

If you're an outside person, they do start with a phone interview/phone screen to feel you out. Then you're invited for 2 or 3 panel interviews over a month's time. 98% of the questions are behavioral questions. Interviewers range from future peers, supervisors, managers and directors. They take from the STAR method so be very prepared in giving a real life situation and solution. It could take 2-3 months before a decision is made.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when you disagreed with your supervisor. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Mainly basic questions, without any surprises. They asked simple things like "How do you prioritize?" and "What are you weaknesses?" as strengths, priorities, how I deal with stress and conflict in the workplace, and why I was applying for this particular position as well as with Genentech in general.

Interview Questions

• What would be the first few steps you would take to settle in?   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Recommended to apply for this position. Had a phone interview for 30 min, and two weeks later had an informal interview with scientific manager. We talked for an hour, very comfortable, discussed my skill set and what I could bring to the position. Heard back by email two weeks later.

Very nice interactions, would have liked to progress further. Genentech seems like a it is a very hardworking, fun and cutting edge environment.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why go into industry rather than academia?
      Q: Why Genentech?
      Q: What kind of managerial styles have you worked with?

Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was one full day, with a 45 minute interview with the hiring Scientist followed by a 1 hour job talk, followed by 13 additional 30 minute interviews throughout the day. The first half of 30 minute interviews were with other SRAs and these seemed to be intended to give the interviewee opportunities to ask questions about the position. There was a 1 hour lunch in Genentech's cafeteria (which was incredible!) with two additional SRAs, followed by the remaining 5 or so interviews being with Scientists/Senior Scientists, the Program Director, and a Senior Staff Consultant which was over the phone. Finally, there was an exit interview with the hiring Scientist which was a good opportunity to ask additional questions that might have been raised throughout the day.

Overall, the questions were either scientific ones, or behavioral-type questions. They were very interested in why I wanted to work at Genentech, and wanted to be sure that I understood the pros and cons of the SRA position. I really enjoyed meeting with everyone- the vibe was generally very positive, and even when I was grilled on the science, I felt that it was done in a very collegial way.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you overcame an obstacle in your research?
      Can you describe a time when you had a conflict with a peer or supervisor?
      Why do you want to work as an SRA?

Answer Question

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview process is very slow. It took almost a month from phone screen to actual onsite interview Interview started at 9am and ended at 3.30. Recruiters don't get back to you immediately. Lots of Technical questions in the interview. Couple of 1on 1 interviews and a couple of group interview questions. Lengthy interview process

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Manager ?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • How did you deal with difficult people in your team ?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Started with 2 phone interviews then invited to go to San francisco for on site interviews. On site interviews were grueling. Had 11 interviews in one day and met with 14 people. Asked a lot of behavioral questions and picked apart my resume.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Genentech in April 2015.

Interview

I had a 30-45 min phone chat with the hiring manager. He began with "Tell me about yourself" and then continued to ask more questions about which project I want to pursue. He also asked why I am pursing graduate school .There was some time left for me to ask him some questions. Manager was really nice.