Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.2

Trial Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2007.

Interview

1) phone interview with HR 2) phone interview with hiring manager 3) all-day interview with 8 people consisting of 1x1 and panel 4) background check -upon submission of resume, first phone interview occurred within 2 days; entire process to offer took 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• how would you approach negotiating timelines when you are given a short protocol development timeline?   Answer Question
    • describe communicate breakdown situtations and how you dealt with it where your cross functional partners' priorities do not align with yours   Answer Question

Negotiation

fair

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in March 2012.

Interview

They were nice but the initial interview spanned a broad range of questions that I was not prepared for. I initially thought it would just be behavioral questions for the primary interview. However, I was quite wrong. The questions ranged from statics, biology, and chemistry. Along with questions from prior work experience.

Interview Questions

• Where are proteins in the cell made? Explain the process.   Answer Question

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Had several contact with Genentech personnel prior to invitation for interview. the interview (3 total) consisted on several one on one interviews, pannel discussion interviews, presentation, and a group lunch and dinner interview. Overall most of the conversations kept to science and background questions. But also has significant number of questions on why Genentech and what my motivation for science/research is. They value them selves as a Acedemic based organization and ask a lot of questions on why you would be a good fit there.

Interview Questions

• I know you know a lot about your research, but why don't you tell me about "X's" research project, findings, and significance.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Relocation, Salary, temporary housing, and home assistance.

Global Strategic Analytics Competitive Intelligence Intenship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Recruiter had setup a date and time speak with the manager. Manager called late, had a very deep Indian accent and was hard to follow. I lack experience in the field, but I thought that was what the internship was for. I have heard good things about the company, but I wouldn't want to work in this department.

Interview Questions

• If you were to carry out an analysis on Genentechs competitors, how would you do it? What measures or information would you gather or use? Where would you get this information from?   Answer Question

Market Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

After a phone screen, I had full day of interviews with a personality test for a fit with the department and a marketing case study with 1 hour to prepare and another hour to present recommendations. The staff and interviewers were friendly, helpful and intelligent in asking poignant questions to clarify doubts regarding my application and facilitate answers regarding my capabilities.

Interview Questions

• What is the business case that justifies your recommendation?   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in July 2009.

Interview

They are very thorough, you should expect this from the best in the business.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to formulate a plan to purify a new biomarker given only a low affinity antibody.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation at this level for this company.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very detailed and long interview process

Interview Questions

• Interview seminar is an essential component and expect lots of questions from an open audience   Answer Question

Negotiation

Dont open your cards too quickly, HR tends to push people down, HR will start the salary discussion at a very low level

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied for the position through the Genentech careers website. Got email for phone interview around 3 weeks later. The phone interview had no fit type questions. They were all really technical. Grilled me on every single detail on my resume. Feels like the hiring manger was just trying to put me on the spot.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Initially contacted by phone two weeks after applying on the company website. Phone interview with the hiring manager was very technical and included very specific questions about my resume. The next day, I was invited to Genentech for an "informal" interview/tour of the facility. This ended up being a five hour interview with the research team. They then invited me back for a full formal interview, a whopping 9 hour process. Lunch was provided but the lunch hour was essentially another interview with a panel. There were no real breaks involved.

Interview Questions

• -What was the most difficult situation you have encountered in the workplace? -What does an endothermic reaction look like? -What was your greatest achievement at your previous company? -Why are you looking for a new position? -Why Genentech? -Describe a leadership role you had at your last position   Answer Question

Drug Substance Manufacturing Science and Technology Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied to the job online, and was contacted for a phone interview. The first phone interview was a technical interview with one of the engineers in the department I was applying to work in. He was very nice and asked two or three easy questions in the beginning asking about myself but then went right into the technical questions. He said the process was then a second phone interview with another engineer that I would work closely with and then if I was chosen, an on-site interview in San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• If you are growing a culture of cells at a higher temperature, based on your knowledge of protein synthesis, what can you tell me about the protein composition of the culture.   1 Answer