Genentech

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

3.2

Project Manager, Design and Construction Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Genentech in July 2014.

Applied online, got an email about two weeks later asking me to complete a video interview. The video interview began with a few minutes of the hiring manager introducing the department and that they were building up the staff. Then, five questions in video format with 30 seconds to prepare, then two minutes to provide your answer. A bit awkward because you get NO feedback while you are answering, but obviously efficient for them - no schedules to align! No off the wall questions, but not many of the questions I expected either.

Good communications with the recruiter through the video interview, one follow-up email that they were taking longer than planned to figure out who to bring in for live interviews, then all communication stopped. I thought Genentech's consistent ranking as a best place to work would make for a better hiring process, but it seems it doesn't come into effect until you actually get hired. Certainly not a bad experience, just not any different than all the other companies out there.

ORDP Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech.

Applied online, then got an email for a recorded video interview. It was very awkward and asked behavior based questions. After that, I was asked to do a skype interview with the program director. I was asked a few more behavior questions, why genentech, etc. I skyped with two more people, and had phone interviews with two others. The phone interviews were mainly informative, and there to answer any questions that I had. I got an offer and then Genentech flew me out to see the site and do an area tour of the South San Francisco.

Interview Questions
    • Which is better, knowing your strengths or your weaknesses? How does this help? (Verbatim)   Answer Question

Salary was too low to live well in SF (in my opinion)

Interactive Program Manager (IPM) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Genentech in November 2014.

I was referred by a current employee; a co-worker of mine who moved to Genentech earlier this year. My resume was submitted by said co-worker and I received an email the following day, a phone interview was setup for two days later.

The phone call was delayed by one day by the interviewer, however all communications were was courteous and prompt (and it turned out to work better for me anyhow). The phone interview was like most, "tell me about yourself," "what will you miss most about your current employment," yada, yada, yada - but overall a very relaxed and easy-going conversation. I was told they would follow-up with next steps soon.

Within 24-hours I received an email request (different contact) for an onsite interview. Went back and forth a couple times to land on a date/time that worked for everyone. It was a very efficient and accommodating transaction, and I had an on site interview scheduled for one week later. I was told an agenda and logistics would follow separately.

The day before the scheduled onsite, I received the agenda/logistics towards the end of the day, with an apologetic email and follow-up voicemail for the late delivery. I responded with a request for a "sequestered" interview due to the fact that co-workers from my current place of employment frequently visit Genentech for client meetings and received a response within two hours confirming a private office, so the interviewers would come to me, along with a catered lunch to avoid the cafeteria. More than I was expecting, so groovy.

All went smoothly the day of the interview based on the expectations set above. There was a visitor lot directly outside the building and the check-in process was painless. I interviewed with a total of 5 people; 3 iPM Group Managers, 1 iPM associate, and 1 iMM Group Manager. Each interview was about 45 mins and each interviewee was very conscientious about their time. They seemed well-prepared with questions and answered all of my queries with robust and informative details. At 4pm on the dot, I was escorted to the lobby.

Overall a very professional, streamlined and efficient process. The people I spoke to seemed genuinely happy with the culture, the company, their jobs, their teams, etc. It sounds like the company provides support, services and opportunities to help people grow in their careers. Appears to be a great place to work - I hope they call me back.

Interview Questions
    • Overall, the most difficult questions to answer where situational; "tell me about a time when you had to deliver bad news," or "tell me about a time when you had to work with someone you didn't like," etc. If I were being hit with a water balloon every time someone said, "tell me about" I would be dripping wet by the time we were finished. The co-worker who referred me even warned me about it, and I thought; no big deal, I can handle it. My recommendation is to make up some flash cards and study them the night before so you can draw one from memory in a flash.   Answer Question

ORDP Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in August 2014.

I applied to the position internally and met with the program manager for a 30-minute prescreen interview. She just asked about my background and we discussed my interests and my future plans. About a week and a half later I was invited to the second interview. I met 10 other candidates that I was competing against (who also have exceptionally high qualifications).

The interview process is from 8:00am-3:00pm including breakfast and lunch. There is a series of 5 interviews, an hour each. Mainly behavioral questions and your answer should be supported by previous projects and work experiences. I heard back from the program about 2 months later about my status on the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to replace and implement new technology from something conventional.   Answer Question

Manager of Marketing Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

3 phone screens - first by a recruiter, then by an outside agency and then by a member of the hiring team. After 3 phone screens I was called on-site. The phone interviews were fine - but at the on-site interview people were extremely rude. I heard many good things about people at Genentech from friends working there - but this group was such a contrast. It was my worst interview experience in my entire life. It looked to me that the group was extremely overworked, unhappy and pressed for time - and they are doing me a big favor by talking to me. I interviewed with them more than a year back and they are still looking to fill the position. That doesn't surprise me.

Interview Questions
    • Many behavioral questions. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech in November 2014.

I was contacted initially by an in house recruiter. Good conversations and email with him, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Flew to SF for full day interview with seminar. Talked with a dozen scientists an RAs of varying levels. All with good scientific and work related personnel questions. Day prior to the interview was taken on an area tour. This was time well spent as I was coming from outside the area. Fantastic group, great process, amazing science.

Happily, the whole process went very quickly with excellent communication during all phases. HR was working with many candidates so I was appreciative of the timely responses.

Interview Questions
    • Good questions about my past work, preferred working environment, management structure and style, how I fit into a group, and variation of these.   View Answer
    This was a bit meh. With CA income tax a great offer turns into a merely good offer. But the relocation and other benefits made that good offer more attractive.

Research Associate/Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in March 2014.

I applied several times for other positions, and managed to find two positions in the same lab that fit my skill set perfectly. The phone interviews were very straightforward, and I received a denial from one of the two positions shortly after. The one position that was still open then offered an in person interview, which I accepted.

The in person interview was interesting. I was set up in a conference room, where I was scheduled to sit from the start of the interview at 9am, until about 5pm. Over the course of the day I met with 14 different people, one at a time, and had lunch with three others. While the lunch was much more laid back, the actual interviews focused heavily on technical questions. Most of the questions were testing my background knowledge on theory, and it also tested my critical thinking and problem solving ability.

Interview ran a bit late, and there was a half hour break where I sat in the room on my own, which was unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe how you would separate a mixture of salt, sugar, and water.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, company was offering significantly more than I was making.

Manager, Marketing Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in May 2014.

Genentech has a reputation of having a protracted interview process and I experienced it. It took about 3 months that consisted of 3 long phone interviews, and 2 in person interviews. Overall, I met with 13 people, 11 of them in person. These in-person interviews were done individually, not as a panel. Since I had the luxury of time, it didn't really bother me. In general, there was good communication about the process where I was at each step.

Interview Questions
    • I was given business with 2 of the 11 in-person interviews. These were based on a real life problem that they were struggling with (can't remember the details at this point). However, I do believe that one of the interviews "went off script" and didn't ask the standard business case that he was supposed to ask.   View Answer

Summer R&D Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Genentech.

Applied through university recruiter. Asked to write an essay on the Roche Purpose Statement and what that meant for Genentech's company culture. Contacted for interview within a couple of days of submitting application. 2 young interviewers, very friendly. Conversational interview with both technical and behavioral questions, emphasize use of STAR. Typical "tell me about yourself".

Interview Questions
    • How might you go about purifying a protein from cell culture? Tell me about a time you had to maintain professionalism under pressure.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Genentech in September 2014.

In general it was lovely meeting everyone. Questions were relatively general and unrehearsed. Personable directors and peers. I'm not sure why there was no offer. They seemed to like my background and thought we connected for the first round of 5 interviews. In general don't expect it to be a rehearsed performance. I believe this area is very busy.