Genentech

3.2

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Genentech in January 2015.

The interviewers were very personable and nice. It was like having a conversation. They wanted to know if your personality would be a right fit for the company. The interview consisted of three one on one interviews.

Real World Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech in December 2014.

The initial screen is outsourced to a contractor who reads from a short script of questions. I found it to be better than merely filling out an online form, but with no real understanding of a highly technical position it really ended up feeling like an empty gesture.

Interview Questions
    • None - these are frontline 'softball' screening questions.   Answer Question

SRA Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Genentech in January 2015.

Got an email from the hiring scientist asking for a phone interview. We went through my resume. Questions were mostly technical. At the end of the interview, he asked me to get my referees to email him. He then called me back for an informal meeting to his office. Here he asked both work related and behavioural questions. Waiting to be contacted after.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you leaving academia? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Clinical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Genentech.

SHARE format, Situation, hinder, action, results and evaluation.

Bring everything be over prepared. They say it doesn't matter but most franchises prefer therapeutic experience. Oncology managers wants someone who already has access to oncologists.

Interview Questions
    • What are you working on in your career development?

Which basically means-what are your weaknesses

Answer Question
    Very fair and a generous base salary among biotech companies

Supervisor Interview

The interview is an all day event, which involves meeting six to eight people. The questions are not difficult, pretty standard questions. The staff seems to be very happy to be working there and show excitement about the work they do.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about the failures that you have encountered in your career   Answer Question

Bio Statistician II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in October 2014.

Applied online, and followed by 30 mins phone interview with HM ( no HR phone screen). Then onsite interview was 2 weeks later, with one day tour before the interview in san francisco which was pretty nice. The tour is for relocation purpose for every candidate.

The onsite is one day with 1 presentation. People would ask many questions. From my experience, they care most about how your respond to questions, how you present yourself, your manner, courtesy, interaction with audience. Whether your content is related to the position or not is not important.

8 round one on one meeting with managers and other team players. It was very pleasant experience. People would not ask you hash questions, or obvious behavior questions. They are supper nice and smart people, and test the communication and technical skills by chatting and case study. They would not pick one word from your resume and ask you to explain. It was my most comfortable and pleasant interview experience!

Interview Questions
    • How to explain p_value and confidence intervals to clinicians?   Answer Question
    • what is the difference between communication with programmers and clinicians?   Answer Question
    • do you see your self as financially oriented or ..? (something like whether you work for financial purpose or science interest? )   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The package is very generous.

Bio Statistician Interview

I got 2 phone interview and then the on-site interview. the on-site interview is a 1 day with 7 interviewer, all of them are at least principle biostatistician and hiring manager.

Manufacturing Bioprocess Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

The whole process was very quick and easy! I got a call out of the blue from a recruiter saying that I was a good fit for a job at Genentech at that she wanted to give them my resume. I agreed and she passed it on, but she warned me that it could take months to hear back from them. However, they emailed her back the next day and wanted me to come in 4 days later for an interview. I had 4 interviews in a 2 hour period, one with each manager and then a fourth with a panel of three people I would work with. Everyone was really friendly and annoyed that they had to go through stock HR questions before getting to know me better. The standard questions were all situational and focus on how you handled certain situations in the past. Once you get past those, they only have a few questions and the conversation becomes much more casual. They give you a ton of time to ask questions at the end of each interview which is a great opportunity to ask about the company and the benefits of working there (which are fantastic). They are really big on teamwork and trying to help people, and it seems that everyone there is very close knit which I liked. All of the managers were cool and I had a good time talking to them, the panel was also great and gave me an opportunity to meet some people I will work with.

No negotiation.

Reimbursement Specialist Interview

The interview generally has two mangers and one or two employees to gauge your knowledge of the job. A candidate can expect a question about their skills, previous roles and asked to make a test phone to evaluate your phone skills for this role.

Manufacturing Technician Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech in August 2014.

I got a phone call from a recruiter about the position. Interviewed with her, and then set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, was asked to come into the facility and do an in person interview. Each last 30 min. The in person interview was with 4 people at a single time, panel style. I was very nervous but answered everything the best I could. When I didn't know something, I was honest that I didn't know.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing outside of regular interview questions involving my behavior and past experience, and what I know about certain details about the position.   Answer Question
    None, I was too excited and accepted immediately.