Genentech

Updated Nov 16, 2014
Updated Nov 16, 2014

3.2

Biostatistics Programming Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

First applied online through Genentech website, then got email from HR to set up interview and a week after, I had interview with with two employee from Genentech (one is senior sas programmer). The interview was about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Out of all statistics classes you took, which one is your favorite?   Answer Question

QC Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech.

Interviewed by a panel of 5 then intereviewed by hiring manager. With the panel it was mostly behavior questions and is pretty difficult. With the hiring manager it was more work based questions.

Intake Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Phone screening then panel interview. There may also be a short writing example they want you to provide on the spot. Also, remember (SAR): SItuation / Action / Result. They expect you to answer questions in this format.

Scientist-MMTech Interview

I actually thought that the interview went well. The hiring manager shared my opinion. This review is actually written to discuss how I as a candidate, was handled after the interview. BASIC courtesy and respect dictates that a company should at the very least, let a candidate know about the status of their candidacy; good,bad,or indifferent. I interviewed in. January 2013 and though I have moved on to another position, Roche/Genentech still has not said anything about my candidacy. I obviously did not get he job, but what would have been so hard about sending the standard (form) email telling me that I did not get the job. That is BASIC courtesy. If they don't think more of candidates than that, how little must they think of their employees.

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

1-2 days of interviews. You have to give a seminar which is probably the most important part of the process. This is what usually kills a candidate. Very similar process to academia. Once you have interviewed the hiring manager will usually request a thumbs up or down either on the day of or day after your interview. You should know pretty quickly if they want to hire you. The offer process is ridiculously tedious and takes forever. Your hiring manager has to submit a package for review by a committee which will ultimately decide whether you get an offer. Many people all the way to the SVP level may weigh in.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really have a difficult question. Mostly interviewers are trying to figure out if you are someone they would want to work with.   Answer Question
    If you have industry experience and you aren't coming in at the entry level for the job family you can negotiate. If they really want you they will get you.

Manager, Marketing Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in May 2014.

Genentech has a reputation of having a protracted interview process and I experienced it. It took about 3 months that consisted of 3 long phone interviews, and 2 in person interviews. Overall, I met with 13 people, 11 of them in person. These in-person interviews were done individually, not as a panel. Since I had the luxury of time, it didn't really bother me. In general, there was good communication about the process where I was at each step.

Interview Questions
    • I was given business with 2 of the 11 in-person interviews. These were based on a real life problem that they were struggling with (can't remember the details at this point). However, I do believe that one of the interviews "went off script" and didn't ask the standard business case that he was supposed to ask.   View Answer

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in May 2014.

Interview was very thorough. Scientific talk followed by 1:1 meetings about science and career path. Interview went well, but I was disappointed how the post-interview process was handled and on the emphasis on references, instead of proven ability and productivity.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech in May 2014.

I landed this interview since my resume was passed around by the managers; I had an employed classmate who pushed my resume forward. Since this was for an internship, there was only one interview that lasted about an hour long. Depending on the manager, it can range from 30 minutes to an hour. The interview was simple and strictly behavioral, though it is expected that you answer the behavioral questions with support from a school project or previous internship experience.

Interview Questions
    • How do you seek help when your immediate manager or professor is not available?   Answer Question
    No negotiation as this is an intern position.

Manager Regulatory Affairs Interview

The office is very nice. It helps that it's located in the Bay Area. People are very welcoming and warm. I love the atmosphere, I think it helps promote collaboration

Interview Questions

Not enough money was offered

ORDP Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Phone screen, Skype interview, offer. All behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when.....all those types were on there. Very standard. They like engineers.   Answer Question
    24/hr only because they have a million other people who will take it for less.