Genentech

Updated Jan 30, 2015
Updated Jan 30, 2015

3.2

Research Associate/Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in March 2014.

I applied several times for other positions, and managed to find two positions in the same lab that fit my skill set perfectly. The phone interviews were very straightforward, and I received a denial from one of the two positions shortly after. The one position that was still open then offered an in person interview, which I accepted.

The in person interview was interesting. I was set up in a conference room, where I was scheduled to sit from the start of the interview at 9am, until about 5pm. Over the course of the day I met with 14 different people, one at a time, and had lunch with three others. While the lunch was much more laid back, the actual interviews focused heavily on technical questions. Most of the questions were testing my background knowledge on theory, and it also tested my critical thinking and problem solving ability.

Interview ran a bit late, and there was a half hour break where I sat in the room on my own, which was unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe how you would separate a mixture of salt, sugar, and water.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, company was offering significantly more than I was making.

Manager, Marketing Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in May 2014.

Genentech has a reputation of having a protracted interview process and I experienced it. It took about 3 months that consisted of 3 long phone interviews, and 2 in person interviews. Overall, I met with 13 people, 11 of them in person. These in-person interviews were done individually, not as a panel. Since I had the luxury of time, it didn't really bother me. In general, there was good communication about the process where I was at each step.

Interview Questions
    • I was given business with 2 of the 11 in-person interviews. These were based on a real life problem that they were struggling with (can't remember the details at this point). However, I do believe that one of the interviews "went off script" and didn't ask the standard business case that he was supposed to ask.   View Answer

Summer R&D Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Genentech.

Applied through university recruiter. Asked to write an essay on the Roche Purpose Statement and what that meant for Genentech's company culture. Contacted for interview within a couple of days of submitting application. 2 young interviewers, very friendly. Conversational interview with both technical and behavioral questions, emphasize use of STAR. Typical "tell me about yourself".

Interview Questions
    • How might you go about purifying a protein from cell culture? Tell me about a time you had to maintain professionalism under pressure.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Genentech in September 2014.

In general it was lovely meeting everyone. Questions were relatively general and unrehearsed. Personable directors and peers. I'm not sure why there was no offer. They seemed to like my background and thought we connected for the first round of 5 interviews. In general don't expect it to be a rehearsed performance. I believe this area is very busy.

Senior Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech in April 2014.

30-45 minute 1:1 interviews and 1 hour long presentation including Q and A. The interview was from 9-5. Everyone was very nice. There were some awkward moments when many of the would-be-future-coworkers were speaking to one another in a foreign language during the lunch interview. This happened again later during a 1:1 interview with a scientist. We were interrupted by one of his team members and they again spoke in a foreign language. Overall, the people were pleasant and I enjoyed the opportunity to interview onsite.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions regarding techniques that I knew. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Training Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Genentech in January 2013.

Behavioral questions from a panel of stakeholders such as clients, coworkers, and managers. The entire interview process was about 3 days long broken up into one to two hour meetings. The interview process was a bit of hassle having to travel all around the site to different buildings and rooms that I had never entered before. The client interview was a bit rude, but later I found out why. That training department is very disliked and doesn't work well for the site, but then again nothing works all that well at SSFP. Prepare yourself for dealing with disgruntled clients constantly. Effective client management skills is necessary to the job and they will ask you questions related to that.

Interview Questions
    • How best do you handle ambiguity? Now I understand why they asked that question, because there are no established processes in my department.   Answer Question

Other people within the company warned me that moving into that department would kill my career. They have a very bad reputation. Move to VV, OCN, etc. where the sites are run like clockwork. Learning the job in those teams is better preparation for a career in the pharma industry.

Intake Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Applied through a recruiting agency. First, I had to take an online simulation test. Very straight forward and simple, as long as you pay attention. Interviewed in person with two managers. No introduction, just asked three situational questions. Not too difficult but be prepared to come up with specific examples.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a situation when being a "great-listener" benefited you at your previous job?   Answer Question

Clinical Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech in August 2014.

Initial interview is a video interview approximately 22 minutes long if they like your resume. Then a series of other interviews. First in person interview may be with approximately 2 people. The next is with a panel of 5 people. Be prepared to do a mock role play on the products you are interviewing to sell. You will get emailed studies to learn and sell from. Also, be prepared to ride with one or two of their sales people for at least half a day so they can continue to get to know you. Then one or two more interviews after that. Genetech likes the STAR technique for interviewing. Answer with Situation, Task, Activity, and Result. (Research this online if not familiar with technique) One employee I rode with told me that they are a cult not a culture. By the time that was said to me it was apparent. Make sure you really want a position with this company prior to the interview process because if you are currently employed you will need to take a lot of time off to interview with this company.

Interview Questions

The "cult" statement really bothered me plus I was to be selling "me too" drugs. During my ride alongs with their best reps I was not impressed (overall, the reps seemed disengaged and exasperated) and neither were the physicians with the products they were selling.

Salesforce Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Phone followed for 3 rounds of F 2 F.it lasted nearly 3 hours.One on one during the first 2 rounds then panel interview.Very professional.gave their current scenarios and operational issues and asked what would be my take on it.

Great experience though

Interview Questions
    • About my previous experiences and how I resolved those   Answer Question

Foundation Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech.

They conduct behavioral interviews. You need to pull from your work experience and recall times you used problem solving.

In your answers always give the Situation, the Steps You took and the Outcome.

Interviews will most likely be conducted by 2 Supervisors. If they ask you for a second interview, it is likely that most of the Supervisors will attend.

Interview Questions
    • Please recall a time you had a difficult customer. How did you resolve the conflict.   Answer Question
    HR calls you and tells you what the hourly pay will be. They might say that there is no negotiation but you should try negotiating anyways.