Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

3.2

Bioprocess Technician Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Genentech (Vacaville, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

My resume was sent through a staffing agency. Got called for an on site interview.There were two other candidates waiting. Basically, the on site interview consist a total of four interviews with supervisors and lab technicians, 30 minute each. A lot of behavioral questions were asked and a few technical questions.It's been more than a week and have not heard back from them. In personally thought the questions were tough, and I actually studied and practiced.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where your group deviated from a project and what did you do   Answer Question

Real World Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech in December 2014.

Interview

The initial screen is outsourced to a contractor who reads from a short script of questions. I found it to be better than merely filling out an online form, but with no real understanding of a highly technical position it really ended up feeling like an empty gesture.

Interview Questions

• None - these are frontline 'softball' screening questions.   Answer Question

Manager of Marketing Science Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

3 phone screens - first by a recruiter, then by an outside agency and then by a member of the hiring team. After 3 phone screens I was called on-site. The phone interviews were fine - but at the on-site interview people were extremely rude. I heard many good things about people at Genentech from friends working there - but this group was such a contrast. It was my worst interview experience in my entire life. It looked to me that the group was extremely overworked, unhappy and pressed for time - and they are doing me a big favor by talking to me. I interviewed with them more than a year back and they are still looking to fill the position. That doesn't surprise me.

Interview Questions

• Many behavioral questions. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was contacted initially by an in house recruiter. Good conversations and email with him, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Flew to SF for full day interview with seminar. Talked with a dozen scientists an RAs of varying levels. All with good scientific and work related personnel questions. Day prior to the interview was taken on an area tour. This was time well spent as I was coming from outside the area. Fantastic group, great process, amazing science.

Happily, the whole process went very quickly with excellent communication during all phases. HR was working with many candidates so I was appreciative of the timely responses.

Interview Questions

• Good questions about my past work, preferred working environment, management structure and style, how I fit into a group, and variation of these.   1 Answer

Negotiation

This was a bit meh. With CA income tax a great offer turns into a merely good offer. But the relocation and other benefits made that good offer more attractive.

Interactive Program Manager (IPM) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee; a co-worker of mine who moved to Genentech earlier this year. My resume was submitted by said co-worker and I received an email the following day, a phone interview was setup for two days later.

The phone call was delayed by one day by the interviewer, however all communications were was courteous and prompt (and it turned out to work better for me anyhow). The phone interview was like most, "tell me about yourself," "what will you miss most about your current employment," yada, yada, yada - but overall a very relaxed and easy-going conversation. I was told they would follow-up with next steps soon.

Within 24-hours I received an email request (different contact) for an onsite interview. Went back and forth a couple times to land on a date/time that worked for everyone. It was a very efficient and accommodating transaction, and I had an on site interview scheduled for one week later. I was told an agenda and logistics would follow separately.

The day before the scheduled onsite, I received the agenda/logistics towards the end of the day, with an apologetic email and follow-up voicemail for the late delivery. I responded with a request for a "sequestered" interview due to the fact that co-workers from my current place of employment frequently visit Genentech for client meetings and received a response within two hours confirming a private office, so the interviewers would come to me, along with a catered lunch to avoid the cafeteria. More than I was expecting, so groovy.

All went smoothly the day of the interview based on the expectations set above. There was a visitor lot directly outside the building and the check-in process was painless. I interviewed with a total of 5 people; 3 iPM Group Managers, 1 iPM associate, and 1 iMM Group Manager. Each interview was about 45 mins and each interviewee was very conscientious about their time. They seemed well-prepared with questions and answered all of my queries with robust and informative details. At 4pm on the dot, I was escorted to the lobby.

Overall a very professional, streamlined and efficient process. The people I spoke to seemed genuinely happy with the culture, the company, their jobs, their teams, etc. It sounds like the company provides support, services and opportunities to help people grow in their careers. Appears to be a great place to work - I hope they call me back.

Interview Questions

• Overall, the most difficult questions to answer where situational; "tell me about a time when you had to deliver bad news," or "tell me about a time when you had to work with someone you didn't like," etc. If I were being hit with a water balloon every time someone said, "tell me about" I would be dripping wet by the time we were finished. The co-worker who referred me even warned me about it, and I thought; no big deal, I can handle it. My recommendation is to make up some flash cards and study them the night before so you can draw one from memory in a flash.   Answer Question

Summer R&D Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Applied through university recruiter. Asked to write an essay on the Roche Purpose Statement and what that meant for Genentech's company culture. Contacted for interview within a couple of days of submitting application. 2 young interviewers, very friendly. Conversational interview with both technical and behavioral questions, emphasize use of STAR. Typical "tell me about yourself".

Interview Questions

• How might you go about purifying a protein from cell culture? Tell me about a time you had to maintain professionalism under pressure.   Answer Question

Bio Statistician II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online, and followed by 30 mins phone interview with HM ( no HR phone screen). Then onsite interview was 2 weeks later, with one day tour before the interview in san francisco which was pretty nice. The tour is for relocation purpose for every candidate.

The onsite is one day with 1 presentation. People would ask many questions. From my experience, they care most about how your respond to questions, how you present yourself, your manner, courtesy, interaction with audience. Whether your content is related to the position or not is not important.

8 round one on one meeting with managers and other team players. It was very pleasant experience. People would not ask you hash questions, or obvious behavior questions. They are supper nice and smart people, and test the communication and technical skills by chatting and case study. They would not pick one word from your resume and ask you to explain. It was my most comfortable and pleasant interview experience!

Interview Questions

• How to explain p_value and confidence intervals to clinicians?   Answer Question
    • what is the difference between communication with programmers and clinicians?   Answer Question
    • do you see your self as financially oriented or ..? (something like whether you work for financial purpose or science interest? )   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. The package is very generous.

Intake Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Quick and simple, 15 min and hired within a couple hours. 2 on 1 interview and they had a set list of questions we went over. Personality I believe is important and

Interview Questions

• Are you able to handle a data entry job where it may get boring?   1 Answer

Foundation Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

They conduct behavioral interviews. You need to pull from your work experience and recall times you used problem solving.

In your answers always give the Situation, the Steps You took and the Outcome.

Interviews will most likely be conducted by 2 Supervisors. If they ask you for a second interview, it is likely that most of the Supervisors will attend.

Interview Questions

• Please recall a time you had a difficult customer. How did you resolve the conflict.   Answer Question

Negotiation

HR calls you and tells you what the hourly pay will be. They might say that there is no negotiation but you should try negotiating anyways.

Intake Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Applied through a recruiting agency. First, I had to take an online simulation test. Very straight forward and simple, as long as you pay attention. Interviewed in person with two managers. No introduction, just asked three situational questions. Not too difficult but be prepared to come up with specific examples.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a situation when being a "great-listener" benefited you at your previous job?   Answer Question