Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.2

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

My interviews were conducted via Google Hangouts (WebEx/video interview) which was really convenient for me as a student. I had 2 separate interviews which allowed me to meet more people that I would be working with. The only bad thing about having a video interview was that we had some technical difficulties. But other than that, easy to schedule and make time for.

Intake Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

This was a panel interview with supervisors and manager. Most were behavioral questions but was also asked why I want to be within part of the company. The questions were not unexpected, they all go into depth of Genentech's core competencies

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with repetition in this job?   1 Answer

Senior Regulatory Affairs Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was a pretty grueling interview process. I was a there from 8am to 5pm in a conference room with different interviewers coming in every hour. The only breaks I had were between interviews if one ended early or the next person was late. An admin brought me lunch but there was no break to eat. Naturally the toughest interviewer was at the end, grilling me when I was exhausted and hungry. I suppose that may have been a tactic to see how I handle stress. I was offered the job but for a regulatory associate, not Sr. Associate as I had applied for. I considered not taking it because the interview process gave a bad impression.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Submitted resume online through university, had an on-campus interview (about 12 candidates total) with 2 interviewers (one was someone I would be working under, the other was supervisor). A week later, got an email for an interview at the site (4 candidates left). Interview was about 2 hours long, with 2 interviews with 2 interviewers each, and a lab tour. Got a phone call couple days later saying I got the offer! All interviews were behavior-based, no technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you demonstrated leadership, etc.   Answer Question

IT Service Desk Interview

Interview

Group interview of 40 candidates and with 20 people observing. you will be grouped into tables or maybe 10 people. As a group you will be asked to complete a set of tasks while employees walk around and observe the different groups as they work. you then get called one by one for a panel interview with 3 employees.

Interview Questions

• How do i tie my shoe lace?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

There was an initial phone screen after which I was brought in for live interviews. The phone screen consisted of a walk through my resume and some high-level discussion around why I was interested in this role in particular. It probed into my strengths. The live interviews were behavioral and focused on how I worked, with emphasis on teamwork.

Interview Questions

• Why Genentech?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of how you brought a team with different opinions together.   1 Answer
    • Give an example of how you transitioned to a new role and how you knew you were successful or unsuccessful?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of how you've dealt with conflict at work   1 Answer
    • Give an example of when you failed at something. What did you learn?   1 Answer

Senior Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

First, phone interview with hiring manager then was chosen to on-site interview. Onsite interview took a whole day (9am to 5pm). 1-hour presentation/Q&A, 30-min interviews with various scientists, directors, and a HR, as well as your hiring manager, and 1-hour lunch break with SRA or post-doc. Intense process

Interview Questions

• Too many questions...but they did pay more attention on your scientific research and skill sets   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email directly by a PI asking for an onsite interview about 3 weeks later. The interview itself was very informal and she asked me about my prior research experience. Afterwards, she explained the summer project to me and gave me an offer on the spot.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

quite simple, did not meet with HR, just met the members in the group. all the questions are techniqually, previous experience. had bad feeling after the interview. because they said they will contact me around 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• situation question. if the screen is empty, what happned? tell me how to choose the column. if the machine do not work, tell me the reason. how to perform some kinds of experiment.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech in March 2015.

Interview

It was a general phone interview, which lasted for about half an hour. They first emailed me and gave some time slots for me to choose and called me punctually.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked a few behavior questions first, followed by some basic knowledge about proteins. Pretty much related with the research that is going on in the department.   Answer Question