Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014

3.2

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Genentech.

1-2 days of interviews. You have to give a seminar which is probably the most important part of the process. This is what usually kills a candidate. Very similar process to academia. Once you have interviewed the hiring manager will usually request a thumbs up or down either on the day of or day after your interview. You should know pretty quickly if they want to hire you. The offer process is ridiculously tedious and takes forever. Your hiring manager has to submit a package for review by a committee which will ultimately decide whether you get an offer. Many people all the way to the SVP level may weigh in.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really have a difficult question. Mostly interviewers are trying to figure out if you are someone they would want to work with.   Answer Question
    If you have industry experience and you aren't coming in at the entry level for the job family you can negotiate. If they really want you they will get you.

ORDP Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Genentech.

Phone screen, Skype interview, offer. All behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when.....all those types were on there. Very standard. They like engineers.   Answer Question
    24/hr only because they have a million other people who will take it for less.

Manager Regulatory Affairs Interview

The office is very nice. It helps that it's located in the Bay Area. People are very welcoming and warm. I love the atmosphere, I think it helps promote collaboration

Interview Questions

Not enough money was offered

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech in January 2014.

I applied online and 4 weeks later I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was told at the end of the phone interview that I am invited for an on-site interview. I went to the on-site interview 1 month later. I met with 10 Scientists and gave a one hour seminar. Everyone was interested and asked a lot of questions during the seminar. The questions were fair and most of them were about my past work experience. They do tend to ask a lot about "why do you want to work there?". I got the feedback a month later and they gave me a reason that they are looking for certain skill sets, which I was not even being questioned or asked about during my interview. And the interesting thing was that the certain skill sets was clearly listed in my CV.

Quality Control Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Genentech in April 2010.

The interview process is like any other standard interview process. You should definitely understand the type of position you're applying for. And the hiring process is standard as well, but with a lot of paperwork, or computerwork.

Senior Administrative Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Genentech in November 2013.

Lots of interviews to get a job of this nature

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech in February 2014.

Conducted a phone interview, ~1hr, with the hiring scientist about 2 months after applying on-line. Received notification same day that I was requested for an on-site interview which was completed the following week. The interview day was intense. First, started with another interview with the hiring scientist followed by my one hour seminar on my previous research. About 20-25 scientists from the department attended my talk and asked questions throughout the entire hour. I then had 12 other interviews throughout the day with research associates and scientists from the department. In all, the day lasted from 9AM to 6PM and I was beat by the end. Everyone was extremely nice and answered my questions as well. Didn't get an offer in the end, but felt lucky to even get one of the four interviews for the position after hundreds applied. It did take about 1 month after my on-site interview to hear that I did not get an offer - the process can be slow. Great learning experience and Genentech is a great company to do research at.

Interview Questions
    • Why apply for this position vs. doing an academic post-doc? They really emphasize that a SRA cannot advance to a scientist-level position in the company. If hired, you will remain at the lab bench and they want to be sure that candidates are well aware of this.   Answer Question
    • Giving certain resources, how would you go about identifying and validating a new cancer target?   Answer Question

Structural Biology Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Genentech.

Applied online, received a call from scientist running the lab

Service Desk Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Genentech in February 2014.

Hiring event consisted of about 45 prospective employees.

Everyone was split into teams of about 5-6.

Teams were given scenarios where you work as a team to solve. There are a total of about 5-6 scenarios.

After the scenarios, 1 on 1 interviews are conducted (or 2 managers and you). You may need to wait over an hour for your interview depending on how many people are there.

1 on 1 interview: There were no technical questions at all. Every question asked was based on customer service.
    How did you handle a difficult customer before?
    Have you had any conflicts with teammates in the past?
    What is the most challenging thing you have overcome in the workplace?

Tips
    Make sure you speak! Do not let someone else speak for you. Yes this happened where people stayed quiet.
    Remember details about your teammates
    You are watched throughout the entire 6 hour event so be social and respectful

Interview Questions
    • The hiring process is very straight forward and simple. Most difficult thing for me was waiting about 90 minutes after the group scenarios for my 1 on 1 interview.   Answer Question

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Genentech in March 2010.

Typically, an interviewee will be interviewed over two days and will be required to give a seminar. Each 1:1 will be with a Scientist, Senior Scientist of Director.

Interview Questions
    • You will be asked about the current standard of care and how you might be able to fulfill an unmet medical need.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation