Genentech

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

3.2

Materials Operations Specialist Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Genentech.

My management experience: Just do what they say and don't ask too many questions.

Reimbursement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Genentech.

Most people start off as a contractor once they get selected. A person may or may not need to interview again to obtain a full time position. The interview process is intense as a contractor and as a full time position. 98% of the questions being asked will be behavioral questions. "Give me a situation when..." "What would you do if...." There are usually 3 interviews that could span out to 3 months. The best way to answer the questions is the STAR method.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions are difficult or unexpected if you've been in the situation before. Dealing with a difficult customer, dealing with a difficult coworker, working under intense pressure, prioritizing. If you haven't done these things, then more than likely you won't get the job.   Answer Question
    There are no negotiations

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech.

Applied online and received an email from HR/Recruiter a few weeks later that I was scheduled for a phone interview the next day. Very unprofessional that there was 1. no phone call, and 2. no option given on availability. I should have taken this as a bad omen, but Genentech has a known reputation as a great place to work. Almost 1 year later I receive a rejection letter! What a joke.

Interview Questions
    • You live in California, why do you not use a Mac?   View Answer

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Genentech.

Very Brief phone interview and then an on-site interview with each team member.

There was no negotiation

QA Specialist III Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

Round 1: 1hr phone interview with hiring manager (boss)
    Round 2: 3hr onsite interview with 4 different employees from varied departments.
    Round 3: 0.5hr interview with HR

Interview Questions
    1 week to decide on offer. A little back and forth with HR and hiring manager.

Clinical Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Genentech in March 2014.

I'm a contractor, however the interview and on-boarding process was SO efficient!! I also appreciate how I'm not treated differently from the perm staff as far as responsibility and respect. My first weeks were also very reasonable as far as work load. As a consultant I am always prepared to hit the ground running, however my manager and study teams are allowing me sufficient time to train on SOPs, read protocols, IBs, etc and meet with key study leads. EVERYONE has been extremely helpful and those I've had time to get to know, truly appear to enjoy their job.

Interview Questions
    • Most, if not all the questions were "situational leadership" style questions such as "tell me a time when you were over budget on a contract, and how did you handle it?" Nothing was too difficult if you have the appropriate experience for the job. The most difficult aspect was it was a panel interview so I wasn't sure how to read some of the interviewers. However everyone was very prepared and professional.   View Answer
    I worked through a recruiting agency so it was fairly straightforward. I also appreciated that Genentech was very timely in making me the offer (within 3 days of my interview).

Bioinformatics Internship Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech in March 2014.

This internship is for bioinformatics analysis of mass spec data (peptide-protein inference). I had a 30 minutes phone interview and the recruiter asked questions primarily based on the resume and a few behavioral questions. The technical questions are primarily about projects I have been working with as a graduate student.

Research Associate/Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in March 2014.

I applied several times for other positions, and managed to find two positions in the same lab that fit my skill set perfectly. The phone interviews were very straightforward, and I received a denial from one of the two positions shortly after. The one position that was still open then offered an in person interview, which I accepted.

The in person interview was interesting. I was set up in a conference room, where I was scheduled to sit from the start of the interview at 9am, until about 5pm. Over the course of the day I met with 14 different people, one at a time, and had lunch with three others. While the lunch was much more laid back, the actual interviews focused heavily on technical questions. Most of the questions were testing my background knowledge on theory, and it also tested my critical thinking and problem solving ability.

Interview ran a bit late, and there was a half hour break where I sat in the room on my own, which was unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe how you would separate a mixture of salt, sugar, and water.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, company was offering significantly more than I was making.

Finance Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Contacted via email for a phone interview. The interviewer was very pleasant. He asked questions about why I wanted to intern in the finance department, why Genentech, etc, and the remaining were behavioral questions. Although I didn't receive an offer the process was very efficient and I'd still like to work at Genentech in the future.

Biostatistician Interview

I applied a few different positions in the online system. After about one month, one manager sent me an email to set up a phone interview. The interview lasted for 30 minutes. The manager introduced the biostatistics team, detailed information about the job responsibilities and the requirements. Questions mainly focus on resume.