Genentech Interview Questions & Reviews

300 interviews

3.2

Clinical Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Genentech in March 2014.

I'm a contractor, however the interview and on-boarding process was SO efficient!! I also appreciate how I'm not treated differently from the perm staff as far as responsibility and respect. My first weeks were also very reasonable as far as work load. As a consultant I am always prepared to hit the ground running, however my manager and study teams are allowing me sufficient time to train on SOPs, read protocols, IBs, etc and meet with key study leads. EVERYONE has been extremely helpful and those I've had time to get to know, truly appear to enjoy their job.

Interview Questions
    • Most, if not all the questions were "situational leadership" style questions such as "tell me a time when you were over budget on a contract, and how did you handle it?" Nothing was too difficult if you have the appropriate experience for the job. The most difficult aspect was it was a panel interview so I wasn't sure how to read some of the interviewers. However everyone was very prepared and professional.   View Answer
    I worked through a recruiting agency so it was fairly straightforward. I also appreciated that Genentech was very timely in making me the offer (within 3 days of my interview).

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Genentech in February 2014.

Applied through internal recommendation via current employee that I know. ~2 months later, had the phone interview and it went well. Mostly technical questions related to position and questions about my background. 1 week later, I was invited to come on-site, where I had a full day (8 - 4:30) interview. Met with pretty much everyone in the group (17 people, either 1 on 1 interviews or 2 on 1 interviews) for 30-45 min each. Was pretty tired by the end of it but thought it went well.

4 weeks later I was told that they decided to make an offer to someone else, but I was in the top 3 candidates considered. Asked for specific feedback, and waiting on that now.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where it was difficult to communicate with a colleague about a project, and how you approached that situation.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Genentech.

Applied online and received an email from HR/Recruiter a few weeks later that I was scheduled for a phone interview the next day. Very unprofessional that there was 1. no phone call, and 2. no option given on availability. I should have taken this as a bad omen, but Genentech has a known reputation as a great place to work. Almost 1 year later I receive a rejection letter! What a joke.

Interview Questions
    • You live in California, why do you not use a Mac?   View Answer

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Genentech.

Very Brief phone interview and then an on-site interview with each team member.

There was no negotiation

Reimbursement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Genentech.

Most people start off as a contractor once they get selected. A person may or may not need to interview again to obtain a full time position. The interview process is intense as a contractor and as a full time position. 98% of the questions being asked will be behavioral questions. "Give me a situation when..." "What would you do if...." There are usually 3 interviews that could span out to 3 months. The best way to answer the questions is the STAR method.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions are difficult or unexpected if you've been in the situation before. Dealing with a difficult customer, dealing with a difficult coworker, working under intense pressure, prioritizing. If you haven't done these things, then more than likely you won't get the job.   Answer Question
    There are no negotiations

Senior Manager, Product Public Relations Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Genentech in November 2013.

I was introduced to the new position by a recruiter and was contacted within a week via phone by the hiring manager. We had a great conversation and she shared many details about the role. Most of the questions asked involved my experience and why I was interested in working for Genentech.

We both decided it looked like a good fit and I was invited to come down for an interview. First with the Director and then, a few weeks later, with several members of the Corporate Communications / Product PR teams as well as Human Resources.

The first interview was very casual in a small conference room. The Director was wearing jeans and a nice sweater. I was in a suit and felt a bit overdressed. He made it clear that his team was bright, creative and very good at their jobs. After introducing himself, he said that he had just one question: "Why do you want to work here?" My answer must have been sufficient because he followed up with several other thought provoking questions before saying, "It really doesn't matter so much what I think. My team is great and they'll be the most challenging interview you've had."

I left the conference room 20 minutes later feeling anxious about what was to come next...

A few weeks later, I was invited to meet with five members of the team in a much larger conference room - one on one. Each interview was scheduled for 30 minutes but all went about five minutes over, so the last interview was cut short.

Beyond the usual questions [e.g., Tell us about yourself? What makes you the best candidate? Why Genentech? (again)], each interviewer seemed genuinely interested in 'talking' - and by that I mean a real conversation about my experience, my values, their challenges and how we would work together.

I received a call about three weeks later from the HR representative sharing that they had decided to go with a contractor who had been with the company for a while. She also shared feedback provided by the individual team members. It was constructive, positive and raised curiosity as to why I wasn't presented with an offer.

I had a few more questions and reached out to the hiring manager for clarification. Again, the information provided was detailed, candid and very helpful. End result: It's difficult to compete against someone who knows the product well from the inside and has already been doing a great job as a contractor.

The experience was time-consuming (two months) but overwhelmingly positive.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: "What would you expect your annual bonus to be?"   View Answer

QA Specialist III Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech.

Round 1: 1hr phone interview with hiring manager (boss)
    Round 2: 3hr onsite interview with 4 different employees from varied departments.
    Round 3: 0.5hr interview with HR

Interview Questions
    1 week to decide on offer. A little back and forth with HR and hiring manager.

Biostatistician Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Genentech in December 2013.

From online app to phone screen: 1 month, phone screen to interview: 3 weeks. On site interview includes a technical presentation and one to one meetings with other biostatisticians. Expect for this to last the whole day. Overall process is streamlined, and people are very pleasant. A very positive experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult questions came up during the presentation, mostly about why you chose a particular approach, challenges your assumptions, etc. Tough but fair crowd.   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Genentech.

Contacted via email for a phone interview. The interviewer was very pleasant. He asked questions about why I wanted to intern in the finance department, why Genentech, etc, and the remaining were behavioral questions. Although I didn't receive an offer the process was very efficient and I'd still like to work at Genentech in the future.

Biostatistician Interview

I applied a few different positions in the online system. After about one month, one manager sent me an email to set up a phone interview. The interview lasted for 30 minutes. The manager introduced the biostatistics team, detailed information about the job responsibilities and the requirements. Questions mainly focus on resume.