Genentech

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

3.2

Service Desk Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech in February 2014.

Hiring event consisted of about 45 prospective employees.

Everyone was split into teams of about 5-6.

Teams were given scenarios where you work as a team to solve. There are a total of about 5-6 scenarios.

After the scenarios, 1 on 1 interviews are conducted (or 2 managers and you). You may need to wait over an hour for your interview depending on how many people are there.

1 on 1 interview: There were no technical questions at all. Every question asked was based on customer service.
    How did you handle a difficult customer before?
    Have you had any conflicts with teammates in the past?
    What is the most challenging thing you have overcome in the workplace?

Tips
    Make sure you speak! Do not let someone else speak for you. Yes this happened where people stayed quiet.
    Remember details about your teammates
    You are watched throughout the entire 6 hour event so be social and respectful

Interview Questions
    • The hiring process is very straight forward and simple. Most difficult thing for me was waiting about 90 minutes after the group scenarios for my 1 on 1 interview.   Answer Question

Computer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dixon, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dixon, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech in February 2014.

Spent an afternoon talking with multiple members of staff. Provided a lunch. Mostly friendly people. Never heard back either way on the position. Too busy to respond I guess.

Market Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

Don't work here.. It's all about being a clone that fits into a machine. They are overstaffed, prob reduce the size by 50 people and still increase productivity.

Interview questions are all behavioral. Same question 20 times repeated. Interviewees are not professional. Everyone seems to get an office there. People seem to be in silos.

Pointless company

QC Associate I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

3 hr long interview. situation questions are asked . get your stories ready.

Interview Questions
    no because they offered above market offer price

Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Basic phone interview, a few behavioral questions, technical questions, and problem solving questions. In person interview a week later with 3 interviews: a 1on1, a 2on1, and a 3on1. Took a few hours total. Overall had a positive interview experience, everyone was nice and professional. Job offer made a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you took the initiative to improve a process.   Answer Question
    No negotiation possible.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in January 2014.

I applied online and 4 weeks later I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was told at the end of the phone interview that I am invited for an on-site interview. I went to the on-site interview 1 month later. I met with 10 Scientists and gave a one hour seminar. Everyone was interested and asked a lot of questions during the seminar. The questions were fair and most of them were about my past work experience. They do tend to ask a lot about "why do you want to work there?". I got the feedback a month later and they gave me a reason that they are looking for certain skill sets, which I was not even being questioned or asked about during my interview. And the interesting thing was that the certain skill sets was clearly listed in my CV.

Clinical Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

Initial Phone Screen
    2 face-to-face interviews with the hiring Divisional Sales Manager (first interview also included a current clinical specialist who assisted with the interview)
    First interview was a basic review of your experience
    Second interview was more situational based questions
    Final interview with the Regional Sales Manager who had the final say on the job offer
    Regional manager asked specific questions related to the territory, the product(s) and your business plan.

Interview Questions
    • Basic STAR format interview questions
      "What was your greatest success in sales and how did you make it happen?"
      "What unique qualities do you bring to Genentech?"

Answer Question
    I negotiated on salary and was able to add $5000 to my starting base. Don't immediately accept the offer.. Ask to review it overnight.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech.

1. Quick phone interview to see if I was interested
    2. Short interview where I had 3 1 hour meetings with people in the position I was applying for
    3. Long interview with 1 hr research presentation then 8 half hour meetings with members of Department and potential collaborators
    4. Request for references

Interview Questions
    • No hardballs, just pressed a lot on why I wanted to work there   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Hiring process was fairly quick. I went through a recruiter for a contract position. Recruiter flew me into SSF for a half day interview. I interviewed with 3 different people, right after each other. Found out my results the end of the same week.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers showed me a slide deck with a project plan set in place and asked how I would do this better.   Answer Question

Trainer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in December 2013.

The entire process took about 3 months.

I submitted by application in early November. A week later I completed a phone interview with an internal recruiter -- definitely one of the best recruiters I have worked with. A week or so later, she contacted me to invite me to on-campus interviews in South San Francisco. The interview was scheduled for about 3 weeks later (mid December). During the interview, I met with 6 different individuals - managers of various departments, a trainer, and HR - over a period of 4 hours. The individuals asked several behavioral questions to understand my experience and how I would likely do in a new and different industry - I provided responses using the STAR method and felt really good about the interview.

It took about 3 weeks to hear back about the results due to the holidays. I received a phone call from my recruiter stating I would be receiving an application to get information for a background check and professional references. Within the week, 3/5 of my references were contacted and I received word that they were proceeding with the background check. During that time I received another offer and let my recruiter know. They were unable to give me a written offer until my background check cleared, but gave me a verbal offer so that I could weigh my options. Early the next week, my background check cleared an my recruited promptly sent over a written offer.

Overall, I would not say the interview process was easy, but it was a great experience. My recruiter was great at maintaining contact throughout the entire process and always let me know what to expect next. I believe that being part of such a wonderful company is worth the wait, and I am so excited to work with so many smart and enthusiastic people.

Company culture: I was very surprised and excited about the feeling I got when I was on the Genentech campus. The employees I encountered were all very friendly, passionate about their work, many had been with the company many years, and I got the sense that people were dedicated to the mission. Some employees were quite honest with me about the challenges of becoming part of the Roche group, which I understand and appreciate that perspective, as well. The work facilities were bright, with plenty of natural lighting, many open work areas, and felt casual and comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • None. I always research a company in great depth and get an understanding for the culture. I went into the interview having thoroughly considered situations/experiences that I could pull from for interview questions.   Answer Question
    Outstanding offer. Did not negotiate.