Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.2

Labware Tech Interview

Interview

contacted by a recruiter from a job board and was asked to go to an interview. me the hiring manager who was very cordial and respectful. interview was conducted by the hiring manager and a lead from the position. The hiring manager asked simple behavioral questions while the lead was taking notes.

Interview Questions

• the supervisor asked simple behavioral questions but made you second doubt your answers. they were looking for confidence more than substance.   Answer Question

Negotiation

couldnt negotiate a salary as it was a contract job

ORDP Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Applied online, then got an email for a recorded video interview. It was very awkward and asked behavior based questions. After that, I was asked to do a skype interview with the program director. I was asked a few more behavior questions, why genentech, etc. I skyped with two more people, and had phone interviews with two others. The phone interviews were mainly informative, and there to answer any questions that I had. I got an offer and then Genentech flew me out to see the site and do an area tour of the South San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• Which is better, knowing your strengths or your weaknesses? How does this help? (Verbatim)   Answer Question

Salary was too low to live well in SF (in my opinion)

Real World Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech in December 2014.

Interview

The initial screen is outsourced to a contractor who reads from a short script of questions. I found it to be better than merely filling out an online form, but with no real understanding of a highly technical position it really ended up feeling like an empty gesture.

Interview Questions

• None - these are frontline 'softball' screening questions.   Answer Question

Compliance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

A day after my resume was submitted to Genetech by a recruiter for Kelly Scientific Resourses, a phone interview was arranged. The next day I interviewed with a panel of three managers in Medical Affairs Compliance (gMAC) on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Do you think this role will be enough to keep you interested and is it something you really want to do.   1 Answer

Negotiation

We tried to negotiate a higher salary but the Genentech contract HR person was intransigent about increasing it even though he'd mistakenly described the job as a "6 month" contract when it was actually a 12-18 month contract.

Bioprocess Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vacaville, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Genentech (Vacaville, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

My resume was sent through a staffing agency. Got called for an on site interview.There were two other candidates waiting. Basically, the on site interview consist a total of four interviews with supervisors and lab technicians, 30 minute each. A lot of behavioral questions were asked and a few technical questions.It's been more than a week and have not heard back from them. In personally thought the questions were tough, and I actually studied and practiced.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where your group deviated from a project and what did you do   Answer Question

Bioprocess Technician Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in December 2014.

Interview

Two interviews, one with leads and one with supervisors. they would ask you questions regarding the position that you are applying for and ask you technical questions. Ask you questions that are general based, but see if you would relate it back to work. Troubleshooting questions and how you would escalate certain issues.

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was contacted initially by an in house recruiter. Good conversations and email with him, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Flew to SF for full day interview with seminar. Talked with a dozen scientists an RAs of varying levels. All with good scientific and work related personnel questions. Day prior to the interview was taken on an area tour. This was time well spent as I was coming from outside the area. Fantastic group, great process, amazing science. Happily, the whole process went very quickly with excellent communication during all phases. HR was working with many candidates so I was appreciative of the timely responses.

Interview Questions

• Good questions about my past work, preferred working environment, management structure and style, how I fit into a group, and variation of these.   1 Answer

Negotiation

This was a bit meh. With CA income tax a great offer turns into a merely good offer. But the relocation and other benefits made that good offer more attractive.

Interactive Program Manager (IPM) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee; a co-worker of mine who moved to Genentech earlier this year. My resume was submitted by said co-worker and I received an email the following day, a phone interview was setup for two days later. The phone call was delayed by one day by the interviewer, however all communications were was courteous and prompt (and it turned out to work better for me anyhow). The phone interview was like most, "tell me about yourself," "what will you miss most about your current employment," yada, yada, yada - but overall a very relaxed and easy-going conversation. I was told they would follow-up with next steps soon. Within 24-hours I received an email request (different contact) for an onsite interview. Went back and forth a couple times to land on a date/time that worked for everyone. It was a very efficient and accommodating transaction, and I had an on site interview scheduled for one week later. I was told an agenda and logistics would follow separately. The day before the scheduled onsite, I received the agenda/logistics towards the end of the day, with an apologetic email and follow-up voicemail for the late delivery. I responded with a request for a "sequestered" interview due to the fact that co-workers from my current place of employment frequently visit Genentech for client meetings and received a response within two hours confirming a private office, so the interviewers would come to me, along with a catered lunch to avoid the cafeteria. More than I was expecting, so groovy. All went smoothly the day of the interview based on the expectations set above. There was a visitor lot directly outside the building and the check-in process was painless. I interviewed with a total of 5 people; 3 iPM Group Managers, 1 iPM associate, and 1 iMM Group Manager. Each interview was about 45 mins and each interviewee was very conscientious about their time. They seemed well-prepared with questions and answered all of my queries with robust and informative details. At 4pm on the dot, I was escorted to the lobby. Overall a very professional, streamlined and efficient process. The people I spoke to seemed genuinely happy with the culture, the company, their jobs, their teams, etc. It sounds like the company provides support, services and opportunities to help people grow in their careers. Appears to be a great place to work - I hope they call me back.

Interview Questions

• Overall, the most difficult questions to answer where situational; "tell me about a time when you had to deliver bad news," or "tell me about a time when you had to work with someone you didn't like," etc. If I were being hit with a water balloon every time someone said, "tell me about" I would be dripping wet by the time we were finished. The co-worker who referred me even warned me about it, and I thought; no big deal, I can handle it. My recommendation is to make up some flash cards and study them the night before so you can draw one from memory in a flash.   Answer Question

Summer R&D Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Applied through university recruiter. Asked to write an essay on the Roche Purpose Statement and what that meant for Genentech's company culture. Contacted for interview within a couple of days of submitting application. 2 young interviewers, very friendly. Conversational interview with both technical and behavioral questions, emphasize use of STAR. Typical "tell me about yourself".

Interview Questions

• How might you go about purifying a protein from cell culture? Tell me about a time you had to maintain professionalism under pressure.   Answer Question

Bio Statistician II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online, and followed by 30 mins phone interview with HM ( no HR phone screen). Then onsite interview was 2 weeks later, with one day tour before the interview in san francisco which was pretty nice. The tour is for relocation purpose for every candidate. The onsite is one day with 1 presentation. People would ask many questions. From my experience, they care most about how your respond to questions, how you present yourself, your manner, courtesy, interaction with audience. Whether your content is related to the position or not is not important. 8 round one on one meeting with managers and other team players. It was very pleasant experience. People would not ask you hash questions, or obvious behavior questions. They are supper nice and smart people, and test the communication and technical skills by chatting and case study. They would not pick one word from your resume and ask you to explain. It was my most comfortable and pleasant interview experience!

Interview Questions

• How to explain p_value and confidence intervals to clinicians?   Answer Question
    • what is the difference between communication with programmers and clinicians?   Answer Question
    • do you see your self as financially oriented or ..? (something like whether you work for financial purpose or science interest? )   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. The package is very generous.