Genentech

Genentech Market Planning Manager Interview Questions

3.7

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech in June 2010.

After a phone screen, I had full day of interviews with a personality test for a fit with the department and a marketing case study with 1 hour to prepare and another hour to present recommendations. The staff and interviewers were friendly, helpful and intelligent in asking poignant questions to clarify doubts regarding my application and facilitate answers regarding my capabilities.

Interview Questions
  • What is the business case that justifies your recommendation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

Don't work here.. It's all about being a clone that fits into a machine. They are overstaffed, prob reduce the size by 50 people and still increase productivity.

Interview questions are all behavioral. Same question 20 times repeated. Interviewees are not professional. Everyone seems to get an office there. People seem to be in silos.

Pointless company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in February 2011.

There were 3 phone screening interviews over the course of 6 weeks.

Then I was called into a full day of interviews consisting of: a case study (1 hour to make a market forecast and some slides to present it; debriefing at the end of the day with the associate director of the division) and 10 individual interviews.

Interview Questions
    • In the last couple of months, describe a situation when you wish you had been more assertive when confronted by a superior.   Answer Question
    • Describe how you resolved a difficult strategic problem in a creative way.   Answer Question

Market Planning Manager Interview

The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Genentech in April 2010.

My process did not include any phone screens except the initial call with the recruiter. The final interview day can be grueling but overall I think they together a good process. Be ready for a long day, and a forecasting exercise that you'll then present back to a senior manager.

Interview Questions
    Was not able to negotiate - salaries are "brutally fair" according to hiring manager. My advice is be willing to accept less because they are Genentech.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in January 2010.

The first contact was by HR to conduct a phone screen (30 minutes). Basic skills and experience were probed. Then, there were phone interviews with 2 different hiring managers (30 minutes each), both of which also further probed on skills and experience relevant to the position. I had two rounds of in-person interviews. This first round included a case interview. The second round of in-person interviews was with director-level managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to exert influence from a position of low power.   Answer Question
    In my experience, they were very inflexible on negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in March 2009.

I had a friend who worked in the group, so they were able to fast track my resume through to HR and get the process rolling more quickly than normal. In addition, I had a summer internship offer from this company 3 years earlier, so I was more of a "known" quantity to them. I received an email and call from HR to set-up the first phone screen, which focused on my overall background, interest in the company and pertinent expertise to the role. Because Genentech was in the midst of its merger talks with Roche, it took another month to schedule the next step, which was a phone screen with a hiring manager from the group I was interviewing with. At that point, I had a phone screen which focused mostly on technical skills pertinent to the role. After passing that screen, it took another month to schedule my full day of interviews in person at the company, where I met with about 6 people for 30-45 minute interviews. At the beginning of the day, I received a case study and had to put together an excel model and key slides to describe the situation and my recommendations in 90 minutes and then discuss with one of the interviewers over 30 minutes. My other interviews focused on my background experiences, interest in Genentech and ability to think strategically. Because I was not able to meet with the 2 heads of my group, they brought me back 2 weeks later to meet with them and then took another week before making me the offer. Overall, it took ~ 3 months from start to finish, but would probably take longer for others.

Interview Questions
    Not able to negotiate any components of offer.