Genentech Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online 2 years ago but didn't hear back from a hiring manager until 8 months into my new position at a different company. I passed on the interviews but kept in contact with one of the hiring managers for when I am ready to move on. A year later the hiring manager recommends a position that opened up in their department, which I then applied to formally online. I talked to HR on the phone first who asked basic questions on what I am looking for at Genentech, and also answered any questions I had about the company and expectations on the process. HR was very friendly and were very transparent up front about the typical compensation expectations for this position. I then had a phone interview with the hiring manager that clarified more on what they were looking for and if this matched well with how I wanted to build my career. I was then one of three candidates invited on site for a day long interview, 8am-~4:30pm, 30min interviews with a total of 20 people in the department ranging from peer Research Associates to Director of the department. I had a few 1:1 interviews, but I also had 2:1/ 3:1/ 5:1 interviews throughout the day. All of the people I met were very friendly and understanding and did not throw any unreasonable questions at me. Most questions were about relevant experience and where I saw myself in 5 years. There were no theory questions on the formulas you learned in college but haven't touched on since (hiring manager emphasized that I did not need to study, just be myself). I also had plenty of opportunities to ask them of their experiences working there. You could tell that they took the process very seriously and made sure I was well-informed every step of the way.

Interview Questions

• Give me an introduction about yourself (Give me your TL;DR)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, but the offer was better than expected

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Started with 2 phone interviews then invited to go to San francisco for on site interviews. On site interviews were grueling. Had 11 interviews in one day and met with 14 people. Asked a lot of behavioral questions and picked apart my resume.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

quite simple, did not meet with HR, just met the members in the group. all the questions are techniqually, previous experience. had bad feeling after the interview. because they said they will contact me around 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• situation question. if the screen is empty, what happned? tell me how to choose the column. if the machine do not work, tell me the reason. how to perform some kinds of experiment.   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Interview

describe your 5 year goal plan why you contribution describe your experience tell me a little about ....

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Interviews are very long and detailed. Very rigorous and detail. Some times you get homework too.

Interview Questions

• Explain the behavior of proteins under (few conditions asked) conditions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hard to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Started off with a phone interview and went on to meet with the supervisor and people of the group. Everyone was very pleasant and the interview process was smooth, straight forward and to the point. It was possible to get a general idea of the culture and work environment for that particular group, as well as the work load that they experienced on an everyday basis.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, since I was hired by a staffing agency

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied for the position through the Genentech careers website. Got email for phone interview around 3 weeks later. The phone interview had no fit type questions. They were all really technical. Grilled me on every single detail on my resume. Feels like the hiring manger was just trying to put me on the spot.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

INTENSE.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you will bean asset in this place?   1 Answer

Pay was very low for the cost of living in SF.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

I met one of their core facility members at a summer training course in my professional field. One month later, I got email from him about this opening. He forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. Phone interview was scheduled around mid-August. It went well. About 20 minutes with general questions regarding the daily activity and responsibility of my current job. At the end, the hiring manager verbally told me he would like to have me meet his group members. Then I formally applied the position on Genentech career website. About 3 or 4 weeks later, I got call from hiring manager about on-site interview travel arrangement. The on-site interview was 1:1 style, each person had about 20-30 minutes. First talk with the hiring manager, then his team members, HR consultant, finally wrap-up with the hiring manager. Lunch with the hiring manager and his lab manager. The cafe at Genentech was better than my current place. Most of the questions are based on my experience, very technology orientated, though they did ask some behavioral question such as working as a team player and handling conflict with other researchers, since this position is in a core facility. The total time for on-site was about 6 hours. After interview, most of time the HR consultant contacted me regarding the background check, relocation survey, immigration questionnaire, and finally verbal offer. I didn't get follow-up from hiring manager. At the end, since things did not work out as mentioned below, I had to decline the offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to come to Genentech, based on what you are doing right now? Do you think this is a positive move for your career development?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

1) Salary offered was way below my expectation; my take-home pay will be lower in San Francisco than what I have at my current place. 2) Relocation package is not impressive. They were not willing to cover the penalty I have to pay back to my current employer due to lack of two-year service agreement. 3) Their immigration attorney was not knowledgeable, patient or professional. 4) No negotiation was offered. Attitude is very arrogant.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

First off, i was referred by a recruiting company in order to work with capillary electrophoresis, and I had been told that they had been searching for this position for months and mine was the first hit this particular recruiting agency had gotten for an interview. I wasn't entirely why that was the case seeing as I was a fairly inexperienced recent chem grad, however, I did have a fairly large repertoire of techniques I had learned as an undergrad. So I got the first phone interview and all went well, including assuring me that I would get an in-person interview, despite telling me earlier I would have to wait and hear from my recruiting agency. Then the next week I had multiple in-person interviews with each person of the research lab, and some of them proved to be fairly formidable in their questioning and this went from 1-4:30pm, despite the fact the recruiting agency had told me it would only be an hour. Everyone thought this meant great things especially since the P.I. and I spoke about how I would get to the facility when I started, at the end of the interview. However, I suppose everyone spoke too soon, because although they said I was a strong candidate, and I was one of the top two applicants, I was not offered a position. I was very disappointed.

Interview Questions

• What experience or exposure do you have to capillary electrophoresis?   Answer Question
    • How would you troubleshoot an SDS-PAGE run if you suspected contaminants?   1 Answer