Genentech Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2014

3.4

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Genentech in March 2013.

Started off with a phone interview and went on to meet with the supervisor and people of the group. Everyone was very pleasant and the interview process was smooth, straight forward and to the point.

It was possible to get a general idea of the culture and work environment for that particular group, as well as the work load that they experienced on an everyday basis.

There was no negotiation, since I was hired by a staffing agency

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

describe your 5 year goal plan
    why you
    contribution
    describe your experience
    tell me a little about ....

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Genentech.

Interviews are very long and detailed.
    Very rigorous and detail.
    Some times you get homework too.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the behavior of proteins under (few conditions asked) conditions.   Answer Question
    Hard to negotiate

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Genentech in April 2010.

I was interviewing for a position which was opening up because a team member was moving on. They organized a phone interview and an on-sight the next week. There were two half hour interviews. We followed up over email afterwards to check references.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Genentech in October 2012.

Applied for the position through the Genentech careers website. Got email for phone interview around 3 weeks later. The phone interview had no fit type questions. They were all really technical. Grilled me on every single detail on my resume. Feels like the hiring manger was just trying to put me on the spot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Genentech in October 2011.

INTENSE.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you will bean asset in this place?   View Answer

Pay was very low for the cost of living in SF.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Genentech in September 2010.

I met one of their core facility members at a summer training course in my professional field. One month later, I got email from him about this opening. He forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. Phone interview was scheduled around mid-August. It went well. About 20 minutes with general questions regarding the daily activity and responsibility of my current job. At the end, the hiring manager verbally told me he would like to have me meet his group members. Then I formally applied the position on Genentech career website. About 3 or 4 weeks later, I got call from hiring manager about on-site interview travel arrangement. The on-site interview was 1:1 style, each person had about 20-30 minutes. First talk with the hiring manager, then his team members, HR consultant, finally wrap-up with the hiring manager. Lunch with the hiring manager and his lab manager. The cafe at Genentech was better than my current place. Most of the questions are based on my experience, very technology orientated, though they did ask some behavioral question such as working as a team player and handling conflict with other researchers, since this position is in a core facility. The total time for on-site was about 6 hours. After interview, most of time the HR consultant contacted me regarding the background check, relocation survey, immigration questionnaire, and finally verbal offer. I didn't get follow-up from hiring manager. At the end, since things did not work out as mentioned below, I had to decline the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to come to Genentech, based on what you are doing right now? Do you think this is a positive move for your career development?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

1) Salary offered was way below my expectation; my take-home pay will be lower in San Francisco than what I have at my current place. 2) Relocation package is not impressive. They were not willing to cover the penalty I have to pay back to my current employer due to lack of two-year service agreement. 3) Their immigration attorney was not knowledgeable, patient or professional. 4) No negotiation was offered. Attitude is very arrogant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Genentech in September 2010.

First off, i was referred by a recruiting company in order to work with capillary electrophoresis, and I had been told that they had been searching for this position for months and mine was the first hit this particular recruiting agency had gotten for an interview. I wasn't entirely why that was the case seeing as I was a fairly inexperienced recent chem grad, however, I did have a fairly large repertoire of techniques I had learned as an undergrad. So I got the first phone interview and all went well, including assuring me that I would get an in-person interview, despite telling me earlier I would have to wait and hear from my recruiting agency. Then the next week I had multiple in-person interviews with each person of the research lab, and some of them proved to be fairly formidable in their questioning and this went from 1-4:30pm, despite the fact the recruiting agency had told me it would only be an hour. Everyone thought this meant great things especially since the P.I. and I spoke about how I would get to the facility when I started, at the end of the interview. However, I suppose everyone spoke too soon, because although they said I was a strong candidate, and I was one of the top two applicants, I was not offered a position. I was very disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • What experience or exposure do you have to capillary electrophoresis?   Answer Question
    • How would you troubleshoot an SDS-PAGE run if you suspected contaminants?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Genentech in April 2008.

Initially, there was a phone interview/screen. Depending on how that goes, you are invited back for a full day interview. During that day, you interview anywhere from 6-8 people. My interviews were approximately 45 minutes each, a total of 8 people. Each interview is unique. Some people are a bit A-type, requiring the candidate to lay off a bit. Some want you to talk more. Adapt to the situation and talk accordingly. Overall, people are very friendly and are not trying to shake you up.

Interview Questions
    • This position isn't necessarily catering to your experience. How do you think you can be valuable in this company?   Answer Question
    • Describe, in overview, your previous research and how it relates to drug development.   Answer Question
    They offer very competitive salaries.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Genentech.

This process was absolutely a waste of my time. I was given two travel options of either leaving right after or staying and be given a personal tour of the area. I took the area overview and they started contacting me regarding relocation and asked for my references and made it seem that they were going to give me the job. The interview itself was extremely difficult. I was interviewed initially by two people over the phone than invited for an onsite interview. I had 7 interviews back to back which was extremely grueling and there were nine other candidates for the same position. They ripped through every detail on my resume and asked me annoying behavioral type of questions which were difficult to answer because they came out of left field totally unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Spend time reviewing behavioral interview questions they ask alot of them   Answer Question

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!