Genentech

Updated Aug 17, 2014

3.4

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech in March 2013.

Started off with a phone interview and went on to meet with the supervisor and people of the group. Everyone was very pleasant and the interview process was smooth, straight forward and to the point.

It was possible to get a general idea of the culture and work environment for that particular group, as well as the work load that they experienced on an everyday basis.

There was no negotiation, since I was hired by a staffing agency

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

describe your 5 year goal plan
    why you
    contribution
    describe your experience
    tell me a little about ....

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interviews are very long and detailed.
    Very rigorous and detail.
    Some times you get homework too.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the behavior of proteins under (few conditions asked) conditions.   Answer Question
    Hard to negotiate

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Genentech in April 2010.

I was interviewing for a position which was opening up because a team member was moving on. They organized a phone interview and an on-sight the next week. There were two half hour interviews. We followed up over email afterwards to check references.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

This process was absolutely a waste of my time. I was given two travel options of either leaving right after or staying and be given a personal tour of the area. I took the area overview and they started contacting me regarding relocation and asked for my references and made it seem that they were going to give me the job. The interview itself was extremely difficult. I was interviewed initially by two people over the phone than invited for an onsite interview. I had 7 interviews back to back which was extremely grueling and there were nine other candidates for the same position. They ripped through every detail on my resume and asked me annoying behavioral type of questions which were difficult to answer because they came out of left field totally unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Spend time reviewing behavioral interview questions they ask alot of them   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Genentech in October 2012.

Applied for the position through the Genentech careers website. Got email for phone interview around 3 weeks later. The phone interview had no fit type questions. They were all really technical. Grilled me on every single detail on my resume. Feels like the hiring manger was just trying to put me on the spot.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Initially contacted by phone two weeks after applying on the company website. Phone interview with the hiring manager was very technical and included very specific questions about my resume. The next day, I was invited to Genentech for an "informal" interview/tour of the facility. This ended up being a five hour interview with the research team. They then invited me back for a full formal interview, a whopping 9 hour process. Lunch was provided but the lunch hour was essentially another interview with a panel. There were no real breaks involved.

Interview Questions
    • -What was the most difficult situation you have encountered in the workplace?
      -What does an endothermic reaction look like?
      -What was your greatest achievement at your previous company?
      -Why are you looking for a new position?
      -Why Genentech?
      -Describe a leadership role you had at your last position

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech in October 2011.

INTENSE.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you will bean asset in this place?   View Answer

Pay was very low for the cost of living in SF.

Research Associate Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Genentech in March 2011.

I have had 6 interviews with this company at this point, during which time I "hopped" from lab to lab to determine whether each individual lab felt I was the best "fit" for them. The interviews ranged from extremely easy to quite hard, with many detailed questions being asked. My advice is to do some research ahead of time on the specific aspects of the position and related subject matter, and then insert your knowledge into the general discussion, feeling free to discuss scientific matters at length (beware of going too off-topic).

Interview Questions
    • How would you effectively optimize and run a PCR, what are the specific assay applications of this technique.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in September 2010.

I met one of their core facility members at a summer training course in my professional field. One month later, I got email from him about this opening. He forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. Phone interview was scheduled around mid-August. It went well. About 20 minutes with general questions regarding the daily activity and responsibility of my current job. At the end, the hiring manager verbally told me he would like to have me meet his group members. Then I formally applied the position on Genentech career website. About 3 or 4 weeks later, I got call from hiring manager about on-site interview travel arrangement. The on-site interview was 1:1 style, each person had about 20-30 minutes. First talk with the hiring manager, then his team members, HR consultant, finally wrap-up with the hiring manager. Lunch with the hiring manager and his lab manager. The cafe at Genentech was better than my current place. Most of the questions are based on my experience, very technology orientated, though they did ask some behavioral question such as working as a team player and handling conflict with other researchers, since this position is in a core facility. The total time for on-site was about 6 hours. After interview, most of time the HR consultant contacted me regarding the background check, relocation survey, immigration questionnaire, and finally verbal offer. I didn't get follow-up from hiring manager. At the end, since things did not work out as mentioned below, I had to decline the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to come to Genentech, based on what you are doing right now? Do you think this is a positive move for your career development?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

1) Salary offered was way below my expectation; my take-home pay will be lower in San Francisco than what I have at my current place. 2) Relocation package is not impressive. They were not willing to cover the penalty I have to pay back to my current employer due to lack of two-year service agreement. 3) Their immigration attorney was not knowledgeable, patient or professional. 4) No negotiation was offered. Attitude is very arrogant.