Genentech Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online 2 years ago but didn't hear back from a hiring manager until 8 months into my new position at a different company. I passed on the interviews but kept in contact with one of the hiring managers for when I am ready to move on. A year later the hiring manager recommends a position that opened up in their department, which I then applied to formally online. I talked to HR on the phone first who asked basic questions on what I am looking for at Genentech, and also answered any questions I had about the company and expectations on the process. HR was very friendly and were very transparent up front about the typical compensation expectations for this position. I then had a phone interview with the hiring manager that clarified more on what they were looking for and if this matched well with how I wanted to build my career. I was then one of three candidates invited on site for a day long interview, 8am-~4:30pm, 30min interviews with a total of 20 people in the department ranging from peer Research Associates to Director of the department. I had a few 1:1 interviews, but I also had 2:1/ 3:1/ 5:1 interviews throughout the day. All of the people I met were very friendly and understanding and did not throw any unreasonable questions at me. Most questions were about relevant experience and where I saw myself in 5 years. There were no theory questions on the formulas you learned in college but haven't touched on since (hiring manager emphasized that I did not need to study, just be myself). I also had plenty of opportunities to ask them of their experiences working there. You could tell that they took the process very seriously and made sure I was well-informed every step of the way.

Interview Questions

• Give me an introduction about yourself (Give me your TL;DR)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, but the offer was better than expected

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Started with 2 phone interviews then invited to go to San francisco for on site interviews. On site interviews were grueling. Had 11 interviews in one day and met with 14 people. Asked a lot of behavioral questions and picked apart my resume.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

quite simple, did not meet with HR, just met the members in the group. all the questions are techniqually, previous experience. had bad feeling after the interview. because they said they will contact me around 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• situation question. if the screen is empty, what happned? tell me how to choose the column. if the machine do not work, tell me the reason. how to perform some kinds of experiment.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Started off with a phone interview and went on to meet with the supervisor and people of the group. Everyone was very pleasant and the interview process was smooth, straight forward and to the point. It was possible to get a general idea of the culture and work environment for that particular group, as well as the work load that they experienced on an everyday basis.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, since I was hired by a staffing agency

Research Associate Interview

Interview

describe your 5 year goal plan why you contribution describe your experience tell me a little about ....

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Interviews are very long and detailed. Very rigorous and detail. Some times you get homework too.

Interview Questions

• Explain the behavior of proteins under (few conditions asked) conditions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hard to negotiate

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Genentech in April 2010.

Interview

I was interviewing for a position which was opening up because a team member was moving on. They organized a phone interview and an on-sight the next week. There were two half hour interviews. We followed up over email afterwards to check references.

Interview Questions

• Describe your favorite assay.   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

This process was absolutely a waste of my time. I was given two travel options of either leaving right after or staying and be given a personal tour of the area. I took the area overview and they started contacting me regarding relocation and asked for my references and made it seem that they were going to give me the job. The interview itself was extremely difficult. I was interviewed initially by two people over the phone than invited for an onsite interview. I had 7 interviews back to back which was extremely grueling and there were nine other candidates for the same position. They ripped through every detail on my resume and asked me annoying behavioral type of questions which were difficult to answer because they came out of left field totally unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Spend time reviewing behavioral interview questions they ask alot of them   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied for the position through the Genentech careers website. Got email for phone interview around 3 weeks later. The phone interview had no fit type questions. They were all really technical. Grilled me on every single detail on my resume. Feels like the hiring manger was just trying to put me on the spot.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Initially contacted by phone two weeks after applying on the company website. Phone interview with the hiring manager was very technical and included very specific questions about my resume. The next day, I was invited to Genentech for an "informal" interview/tour of the facility. This ended up being a five hour interview with the research team. They then invited me back for a full formal interview, a whopping 9 hour process. Lunch was provided but the lunch hour was essentially another interview with a panel. There were no real breaks involved.

Interview Questions

• -What was the most difficult situation you have encountered in the workplace? -What does an endothermic reaction look like? -What was your greatest achievement at your previous company? -Why are you looking for a new position? -Why Genentech? -Describe a leadership role you had at your last position   Answer Question