Genentech Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.2

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview process is very slow. It took almost a month from phone screen to actual onsite interview Interview started at 9am and ended at 3.30. Recruiters don't get back to you immediately. Lots of Technical questions in the interview. Couple of 1on 1 interviews and a couple of group interview questions. Lengthy interview process

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Manager ?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • How did you deal with difficult people in your team ?   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with HR, then another phone interview with the hiring manager, then an in-person interview lasting 1 day. The in-person interview consisted of 30 minute long interviews with the hiring manager and other individuals within the department, both other SRAs and Senior Scientists. There was also a requirement to give a presentation on recent scientific work.

Interview Questions

• Are you sure that you are committed to doing bench research long-term?   Answer Question

Senior Regulatory Affairs Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was a pretty grueling interview process. I was a there from 8am to 5pm in a conference room with different interviewers coming in every hour. The only breaks I had were between interviews if one ended early or the next person was late. An admin brought me lunch but there was no break to eat. Naturally the toughest interviewer was at the end, grilling me when I was exhausted and hungry. I suppose that may have been a tactic to see how I handle stress.

I was offered the job but for a regulatory associate, not Sr. Associate as I had applied for. I considered not taking it because the interview process gave a bad impression.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

There was an initial phone screen after which I was brought in for live interviews. The phone screen consisted of a walk through my resume and some high-level discussion around why I was interested in this role in particular. It probed into my strengths. The live interviews were behavioral and focused on how I worked, with emphasis on teamwork.

Interview Questions

• Why Genentech?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of how you brought a team with different opinions together.   1 Answer
    • Give an example of how you transitioned to a new role and how you knew you were successful or unsuccessful?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of how you've dealt with conflict at work   1 Answer
    • Give an example of when you failed at something. What did you learn?   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email directly by a PI asking for an onsite interview about 3 weeks later. The interview itself was very informal and she asked me about my prior research experience. Afterwards, she explained the summer project to me and gave me an offer on the spot.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I met the first hiring manager during a campus event and he told me he doesn't really hire international students but then I was referred to another hiring manger. This hiring manger is really awesome. I was applying for business support position so he asked me some business questions. He also asked me persona questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about addressing something that you don't want to do?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

quite simple, did not meet with HR, just met the members in the group. all the questions are techniqually, previous experience. had bad feeling after the interview. because they said they will contact me around 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• situation question. if the screen is empty, what happned? tell me how to choose the column. if the machine do not work, tell me the reason. how to perform some kinds of experiment.   1 Answer

Associate Director Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The phone screen was within 2 weeks of application. First round of in-person interviews with 5 people was around 2 weeks from the phone screen. 2nd round of in-person interviews with 5 more people were 3 months later, which was scheduled after I reached out to ask about status. Then, I was called with feedback on why I didn't get the role, which was before they had finished that round with other candidates. Even factoring in the size of the company, there are many people to do work that is done by fewer people in other companies, so the specifics of the job requirement are quite detailed. Being a highly desirable company and well-resourced, they can afford to find someone very specific and take their time.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions related to the requirements of the job and my relevant experience. I was given a internal document and 30 minutes to review and then provide any insights and comments about it during one of the interviews. There were some behavioral questions, like "how do you deal with a difficult stakeholder?" and "how do you influence them to adopt change?"   Answer Question

PDRP Interview

Application

Interview

After being contacted I had a phone interview with one of the members of the hiring committee. The next interview was onsite and it was a full day. There were 6 individual interviews throughout the day and a lunch with people that were already in the program.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard interview questions. Some of the interviewers were more interested in experience rather then skills.   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Each individual interview was 30 minutes with each member of the department - 9 people including director. This was a two day process. Each person was able to have a copy of my resume available and ask about my current position and why I wanted to work at Genentech. They also wanted to make sure I would fit with the team as it was a "tight nit-quirky group".

Interview Questions

• Portfolio questions are asked as well as culture questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a higher salary.