Genentech

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Vacaville, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Genentech.

Interview Details – Was called by hiring Manager looking to hire last minute. Was referred by a hiring manager from a previous interview at Genentech. Had two brief phone interviews and a 4-hour interview at the Vacaville Campus. Met with HR, three separate Hiring Managers, and two employees in the same division I would be working in.

Interview Question – I was asked 'what I have been up to'.   View Answer

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Senior Administrative Assistant
South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Genentech.

Interview Details – I was an employee referral. Went in for an interview, met with 2 other senior admins who were very nice. Immediately after the HR rep came in and interviewed, she was nice as well. Both asked the normal interview questions you'd expect. Had a phone interview a week later with the hiring manager, was asked to email some work samples which I did. A week later, hiring manager called and said they chose another candidate who currently works with the company. The HR rep who I met with told me that the majority of hiring managers like to go with someone who currently works for the company for obvious reasons. Admin jobs normally aren't posed externally but I was able to get an interview due to a referral. Wouldn't waste your time for any admin positions here unless if you are willing to do a contract position.

Interview Question – What are somethings your boss can do to make your job easier?   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator
Vacaville, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Genentech in February 2014.

Interview Details – I went through 3 phone interviews and 1 video conferencing interview before being hired on as a contractor. The interviewers were very nice and explained the role very well. They also explained the scope of their work and how i could be an asset to the team.

Interview Question – How would you complete a project with no help, or resources to finish it?   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Senior Research Associate
South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech in May 2014.

Interview Details – Interview was very thorough. Scientific talk followed by 1:1 meetings about science and career path. Interview went well, but I was disappointed how the post-interview process was handled and on the emphasis on references, instead of proven ability and productivity.

Interview Question – Why did you chose this career path?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Engineer Department Interview

Engineer Department
San Francisco, CA

Interviewed at Genentech

Interview Details – was too personal I feel like I was judged on what I wearing and my shoes and handbag had to be top brand name...the whole dept came in to interview me, I was aked questions like are you a team leader do you wrok well with a group...duh!!!

Reason for Declining – rasicsm

Intake Coordinator Interview

Intake Coordinator

Interviewed at Genentech

Interview Details – Phone screening then panel interview. There may also be a short writing example they want you to provide on the spot. Also, remember (SAR): SItuation / Action / Result. They expect you to answer questions in this format.

Interview Question – Describe a time you showed initiative.   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Senior Scientist
South San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Genentech.

Interview Details – 1-2 days of interviews. You have to give a seminar which is probably the most important part of the process. This is what usually kills a candidate. Very similar process to academia. Once you have interviewed the hiring manager will usually request a thumbs up or down either on the day of or day after your interview. You should know pretty quickly if they want to hire you. The offer process is ridiculously tedious and takes forever. Your hiring manager has to submit a package for review by a committee which will ultimately decide whether you get an offer. Many people all the way to the SVP level may weigh in.

Interview Question – Didn't really have a difficult question. Mostly interviewers are trying to figure out if you are someone they would want to work with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you have industry experience and you aren't coming in at the entry level for the job family you can negotiate. If they really want you they will get you.

Computer Support Interview

Computer Support
Dixon, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Genentech in February 2014.

Interview Details – Spent an afternoon talking with multiple members of staff. Provided a lunch. Mostly friendly people. Never heard back either way on the position. Too busy to respond I guess.

Interview Question – Typical, " What is your Weakness"   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Scientist
South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and 4 weeks later I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was told at the end of the phone interview that I am invited for an on-site interview. I went to the on-site interview 1 month later. I met with 10 Scientists and gave a one hour seminar. Everyone was interested and asked a lot of questions during the seminar. The questions were fair and most of them were about my past work experience. They do tend to ask a lot about "why do you want to work there?". I got the feedback a month later and they gave me a reason that they are looking for certain skill sets, which I was not even being questioned or asked about during my interview. And the interesting thing was that the certain skill sets was clearly listed in my CV.

Interview Question – What do you feel passionate about this position?   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Senior Research Associate
South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech in February 2014.

Interview Details – Conducted a phone interview, ~1hr, with the hiring scientist about 2 months after applying on-line. Received notification same day that I was requested for an on-site interview which was completed the following week. The interview day was intense. First, started with another interview with the hiring scientist followed by my one hour seminar on my previous research. About 20-25 scientists from the department attended my talk and asked questions throughout the entire hour. I then had 12 other interviews throughout the day with research associates and scientists from the department. In all, the day lasted from 9AM to 6PM and I was beat by the end. Everyone was extremely nice and answered my questions as well. Didn't get an offer in the end, but felt lucky to even get one of the four interviews for the position after hundreds applied. It did take about 1 month after my on-site interview to hear that I did not get an offer - the process can be slow. Great learning experience and Genentech is a great company to do research at.

Interview Questions

• Why apply for this position vs. doing an academic post-doc? They really emphasize that a SRA cannot advance to a scientist-level position in the company. If hired, you will remain at the lab bench and they want to be sure that candidates are well aware of this.   Answer Question
  • Giving certain resources, how would you go about identifying and validating a new cancer target?   Answer Question

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!